Talk me off the wall... Why should I not switch to Digital Cable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

aec4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
I have been in contact with Cablevision. I already use them for Phone and Internet. Why should I not switch to cable digital TV?

Cost is a big factor here. for 1 year, all 3 services with 3 boxes would cost me 123.62. After that, 151.52.

Right now, I pay them 84.90 for the internet and the phone service. This means I add 38.72 for their IO Silver package for 12 months, and 66.62 later.

I can add an HD DVR for 9.95 if I want to.

My D* bill is 90 dollars , but I have 4 boxes (and I'd only get 3 from cablevision, since basic would be fine in the guest room).

Why should I not switch? What's better about d*? I'd keep my D* for Football, and put it in suspension mode until football season, pay for 4 months on 1 tv, and then suspend again.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I really just want reasons to not switch!

I do not know what you want from us, your post itself is filled with reasons to stay with D*, in fact, the topic should have been "Why should I switch from DirecTV?"

You state (if I'm reading it right) that cablevision will cost (after promos are over), 151 a month, your D* is 90, so that right there is reason one (you site cost as biggest factor), reason two, you say you get 4 boxes from D* and 3 from CV, D* gives you one more box, or did I get this wrong? Am I missing something?

Unless you are talking the bundling savings (not specifically mentioned in your post), if so, seems even the bundle wouldn't be that great of a deal (assuming 50 a month for internet and 30 for phone, how much would you really save?). If the cable PQ is better than D* and you get what you want, i seems oyu'll break even, so since cable quality differs from area to area, only you or someone in your area could know if CV has better PQ for what you want.

Last edited:
damaged said:
I do not know what you want from us, your post itself is filled with reasons to stay with D*, in fact, the topic should have been "Why should I switch from DirecTV?"
You state (if I'm reading it right) that cablevision will cost (after promos are over), 151 a month, your D* is 90, so that right there is reason one (you site cost as biggest factor), reason two, you say you get 4 boxes from D* and 3 from CV, D* gives you one more box, or did I get this wrong? Am I missing something?
No.

Cable TV + Internet + Phone service = 151 a month.

Right now I pay 94.95 + 84.90 or 179.85

Basically, I will be paying 66.52 for the TV, since the 84.90 needs to be paid for the internet/phone anyway.

I also agree with the above.

Everyone has their own particular situation, wants, and needs. Not everyone here has the same budget nor the same cable company. So you just have to make you own decision base on your specifics situation. Bundles and promos are bait. Make your selection based on the actual costs. I have also found over the years bundles are not worth the $7 - $12 worth of saving and the one bill. I get better deals overall by hand selecting my own, and I am not so lazy that dealing with the extra 2 or 3 accounts is a deal breaker.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
I also agree with the above.
Everyone has their own particular situation, wants, and needs. Not everyone here has the same budget nor the same cable company. So you just have to make you own decision base on your specifics situation.
You guys are missing the point.

Digital Cable is going to basically cost me 25 bucks less a month. What does D* offer to warrant the $25. Is the picutre better? Etc.

Im thinking I could avoid having the big thing on my roof (the mpeg4 dish once it's time)

Sounds to me like you should look int something like Yahoo DSL for $20 a month and vonage. I think you can save significantly without giving up PQ.

Just switch. If the dish is too big for you and you don't mind jumping back and forth between DBS and cable based on the NFL ST - then go for it. Why should we stop you one way or the other?

I see, well look, only YOU can decide of the 25 bucks is worth it or not, if you are asking people to speak up what's better, cable or D*, you are in for a looooooooong read, so, I'm staying out of it. :)

damaged said:
I see, well look, only YOU can decide of the 25 bucks is worth it or not, if you are asking people to speak up what's better, cable or D*, you are in for a looooooooong read, so, I'm staying out of it. :)

I agree, these type of questions are pointless for the reasons we have all mentioned so far.

charper1 said:
I agree, these type of questions are pointless for the reasons we have all mentioned so far.
Thanks for making me feel terribly unwelcome.

It was a simple question that I thought would help me make the decision and instead I get made fun of, or told I am a fool.

Thanks for nothing.

Don't feel that way. BUT there are 100's of the same posts you can look through instead. These all turn into DBS hating bait. The same questions, the same points, yet the user is saying they want help trying to stay, but it seems they already have made up their minds to go, and are just trying to post why they are leaving and want us to acknowledge them. What is the point really? No one is hating on YOU, but the constant sameness of the question.

Although I cannot speak for charper, I'm pretty sure he did not mean it that way, just that that type of question is really subjective, so any answers anyone gives you would be worthless, since most likely, noone here knows what you want in a service (i.e. what is important to YOU), after all YOU are the one who has to watch it, and pay for it, nor does anyone know what you get now with D* (PQ, your impressions of D*s quality of service, equipment, etc), and most wouldn;t know if your neihborhood has quality PQ via local cable.

Anyways good luck.

Why don't you just try the cable service for 30 days as pretty much every cable company offers a 30 day free trial. That is the best way to start as some cable companies are good while others aren't. We in no way mean to bash you but you must understand that we can't tell you which is better. For example my cable company is about equal with DirecTV while in other areas the offerings might be better than DirecTV. In some Comcast areas that have an all digital lineup, tons of HD channels with a bundled price discount I would say it would be better. It also depends on what you watch and what you want and are willing to live with.

You just have to understand that your asking something we cannot answer even if we wanted too. Its like asking me what bed is good because some like a firm bed while others like a softer one. What you like might not be what I would like. It would be unwise for me to sway you towards something that is so subjective. I suggest trying that 30 day trial and see it for yourself.

Echoing what the others have said, choosing between DBS and cable is an incredibly complex issue. There's no strong leader out there right now. Every service has benefits and drawbacks, and this tends to be different in every region in the country. No matter what you choose, there will be compromises. Sucks but it's true.

I was faced with this decision a month ago. We've had D* for quite a while but were moving and had the chance to revisit the choice. I was very tempted to drop D* and go with cable, so that I could get HD nationals and locals with an HD DVR for only a small monthly fee. But we have the D* TiVO, and love it (especially the wife, who is NOT thrilled about any technology change with a learning curve). The cable company (Comcast) has a relatively crappy DVR with lots of issues and an interface that's total shite. And Comcast in this area still broadcasts the most often used channels (2-100) in analog. Not to mention that Comcast compresses their digital just like D* does, so not much improvement would be had there.

So I reluctantly decided to stay with D* and revisit again when better choices are in front of me (in '07 or '08, I suppose). I'll string up an antenna for HD locals.

Your decision may end up being totally different. To make an informed decision, you need to do a lot of reading (this forum and elsewhere), and decide for yourself. Sorry there's simply no easy answer. But if you ask SPECIFIC technical questions here, you will probably get very good answers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts