Tampa Bay Ray's?

Which genius in TB decided that the Devil Ray's would now be called just the "Rays"? Is that short for sun rays, X-rays, or Raymond?

Yeah, the old people in florida don't know the difference between a fish and satan. :rolleyes:

They should get a license from GM and call them the stingrays. I volunteer my vette to serve as the mascot! :D

This is a team that really doesn't have much going for them. I think they decided on this change as a way to try and boost interest among fans. I'd say the next thing that will come for the "Rays" is a possible move to another location. I did read, at one time, that the Devil Rays (or Rays) might wind up in Portland. I THINK I read that on ESPN.com. I don't think they have much chance of competing in a division with New York and Boston (and Toronto) and a move to Portland at some point might work for this team.

This is a team that really doesn't have much going for them. I think they decided on this change as a way to try and boost interest among fans. I'd say the next thing that will come for the "Rays" is a possible move to another location. I did read, at one time, that the Devil Rays (or Rays) might wind up in Portland. I THINK I read that on ESPN.com. I don't think they have much chance of competing in a division with New York and Boston (and Toronto) and a move to Portland at some point might work for this team.

Was this Portland Wa. or Portland Maine ?

Jimbo

Nowadays stadiums have short shelf life. Fenway and Wrigley are the holdouts but look a t all those stadiums built in the 70s that are already history. I guess it is time for the ones built in the 80s to go the same way. Although i guess that technically this one did not open till the 90s---but it was there before the team arrived.

Last edited:
Nowadays stadiums have short shelf life. Fenway and Wrigley are the holdouts but look a t all those stadiums built in the 70s that are already history. I guess it si time ffor the ones built in the 80s to go the same way. Although i guess that technically this one did not open till the 90s---but it was there before the team arrived.

It was built in the 90's sometime because they were hoping to get the Giants to move there at one time.

It actually opened in 1990. Which is what I said. The stadium was a lure for several clubs not just the Giants. In fact local supporters thought it made it more likely for them to get an expansion team----maybe it helped and maybe it did not.

BTW I don't think that anew stadium or a name change will solve the problems this franchise has. It si is the only franchise that has never made the playoffs. In fact their highest finish to date is what---4th place?

Washington Nationals have never made the playoffs either. ;)

Nt really true and I think you know that. But I have to admit that the Nats are one team that may take even longer than Tampa to reach the playoffs .

Washington Nationals have never made the playoffs either. ;)
They won the East (2nd half of the year) in the 1981 strike year, won the unique Strike NLDS against the Phillies 3-2, and then went on to lose to the Dodgers in the NCLS 3-2.

They were also leading the division in 1994 when ironically that season's playoffs were canceled due to a strike.

They won the East (2nd half of the year) in the 1981 strike year, won the unique Strike NLDS against the Phillies 3-2, and then went on to lose to the Dodgers in the NCLS 3-2.

They were also leading the division in 1994 when ironically that season's playoffs were canceled due to a strike.

As the Montreal Expos...Yes. Not as the Nationals, hence the wink. I was just kidding, because I knew that their history includes the Expos.

The D' Rays started talking about a name change months ago but the name was officially changed in just the past few days. I believe this is the first time an MLB team has changed nicknames since the
1930's, (Boston Bee's) excluding teams that relocated. (Orioles, Twins, Nats, Rangers, etc.) The Angels have kept their nickname but can't make up their minds where the heck the team is located.

They are the TB Rays now but in five years when they have another 5 seasons of losing and ending up at the bottom of the division, they may opt to change the name again to the TB Rs :D.

The want to create an environment of losing seasons but that won't change until they decide to invest $$ into the team. Every year they end up at the bottom of the division and will continue so until they put a better product on the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts