Targeted Commercials?

garyreno

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Ohio
Hopefully someone knows the simple answer to this.
Recently when I backed up live TV to see a commercial that had just aired on CNN, the commercial had changed to a different commercial.
I have noticed this several times recently.
Does this have to do with local or targeted commercials on Dish Network?

And they are pain in the butt to jump through. Occasionally resulting in - on the Hopper - a jump-to-the-end of the recording and a freeze up. The only way out is to power off and start the recording over from the beginning. At the very least, you end up 30 to 60 seconds past the end of the break requiring several jump backs to get to what you're trying to watch. Very annoying.

I hate this, as a matter of fact I would be willing to pay another $5 per month just to opt out of this. Targeted advertising on the web was a bad enough idea, that I now block to save bandwidth. This constantly messes up when playing back paused content, commercials playback in the middle of content, this has slowed way down lately though, and like Rolling Joe stated above skipping commercials on DVR'd content is a crap shoot on my 722K. I don't watch any tv live, but with the targeted commercials it makes me not want to watch any tv that isn't on DVD. Just my 2¢, getting off my rant box now :)

as a matter of fact I would be willing to pay another $5 per month just to opt out of this. Targeted advertising...
It's not "targeted" or at least I haven't seen any. The "inserted" commercials, in my experience, have always been Dish's own commercials for services they offer (usually internet, the ones that talk about getting service "all the way out here").

It's not "targeted" or at least I haven't seen any. The "inserted" commercials, in my experience, have always been Dish's own commercials for services they offer (usually internet, the ones that talk about getting service "all the way out here").

In my market, most are paid commercial spots. I've even complained to a couple of the advertisers, like LG. If enough Dish subscribers complain to the advertisers, Dish will hear about it and not in a good way.

Dish is inserting ads for companies like LG ? Remember, and this isn't a defense of Dish, even when you watch primetime programming on ABC, CBS, etc after 8pm, you'll occasionally see commercials for local companies. No way those smaller companies can afford that, right ? What happens is the network allows the local stations to insert "x" commercials per hour or something.

Dish obviously saw this and requested the same from the national networks (you wouldn't expect to see a commercial for a local HVAC company on Discovery channel). I've never seen anything that I suspected was inserted other than Dish's own, like I mentioned. Then again, you don't know they're inserted unless you rewind and see a different commercial the 2nd time.

It's easy to tell the targeted DISH inserted ads because they are SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Chrome.

Reactions: Hall
When I am watching cnn or fox news I get msnbc ads for Rachael Maddow's show. Somebody at Dish has decided My Dish box is in the Targeted news cluster.
http://www.dishmediasales.com/television-advertising/

Dish is inserting ads for companies like LG ? Remember, and this isn't a defense of Dish, even when you watch primetime programming on ABC, CBS, etc after 8pm, you'll occasionally see commercials for local companies. No way those smaller companies can afford that, right ? What happens is the network allows the local stations to insert "x" commercials per hour or something.

Dish obviously saw this and requested the same from the national networks (you wouldn't expect to see a commercial for a local HVAC company on Discovery channel). I've never seen anything that I suspected was inserted other than Dish's own, like I mentioned. Then again, you don't know they're inserted unless you rewind and see a different commercial the 2nd time.

Cable does this all the time. Basically the channel owner sells some of the ads we see and the cable/satellite provider sell the others. With Dish the ads they insert are typically for Dish service or an event (sometimes including the Dish channel number).

Now that I have Charter TV I see a lot of the same ads I would typically see on my local OTA networks even on national channels. I can be watching Monday Night Football on ESPN and see an add for my local Chevy dealership. It sounds like Dish and Directv have been rolling out local commercial sales for the last few years so they can do the same thing as cable. They aren't common in my area but I see people post about them from time to time on this website.

Dish is inserting ads for companies like LG ?

They are. I have never seen a spot for a local business on the locally inserted content. It's all national advertisers, Dish promos and perhaps some per-inquiry ads. There may be some local paid spots, but I haven't seen any.

At present it might not be targeted to a specific box, but that technology exists. Search Addressable Advertising. They have also stated that they are selling local advertising spots.Search dish selling targeted ads. And political ads. Search dish vie for political cash. As for inserted commercials, the ones I've noticed going on around my DMA right now are Panera Bread, Gas X, Pepto Bismol, and Excedrin migraine. Some of them are stretched SD to make them less jarring, but the audio is still loud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts