OTHER TBS card owners, I have a question

olliec420

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
Pensacola, FL
I got my TBS 6920 in and got one of my computers with a fresh windows 7 install and updated. I downloaded the driver and ran setup and it started to install but then it hung so I closed out and ran the installer inside of the 64 bit folder and it installed successfully.

I downloaded ProgDVB and ran a scan and nothing. The weird thing is, every time ProdgDVB changes TPs the program hangs for almost exactly 30 seconds and then repeat. Is that normal behavior for a PCI tuner card? If not how long do they usually take to search a TP?

Im hoping the card isn't bad. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 196
Maybe try SmartDVB. It's free and much better than the apps on the disc that come with the card. Shouldn't be freezing unless you have a PC problem... maybe memory or other issues. I installed any satellite apps in a different directory than "program files", on a different partition from where the OS resides.
Also check and run the programs without a cable connected to the card to see if it still freezes.
There are updated TBS drivers on their website, there may be one for your particular card if there have been problems.
Let us know if you get it working! :)

Reactions: olliec420
Maybe try SmartDVB. It's free and much better than the apps on the disc that come with the card. Shouldn't be freezing unless you have a PC problem... maybe memory or other issues. I installed any satellite apps in a different directory than "program files", on a different partition from where the OS resides.
Also check and run the programs without a cable connected to the card to see if it still freezes.
There are updated TBS drivers on their website, there may be one for your particular card if there have been problems.
Let us know if you get it working! :)

Yeah so I tried SmartDVB basically the same result. Every time it goes to tune something the application goes not responding for exactly 30 seconds and then comes back no signal found. Under device settings I tried the automatically found TBS 6920 option and the TBS new interfaces as I saw suggested on another forum. One thing I found strange the LO default for c band was 5150000 but I tried it both ways, at that default value and 5150. It tried the blindscan device and it said that the device doesnt have blindscan capabilities but Im pretty sure it does. Doesnt matter because it wouldn't bring in the Pennsylvania network when I manually entered the info. I know that channel is strong and it should have have no problem and signal wise it showed 98 Q L 0. I think the card is bad, it came from a guy selling tons of electronics on eBay. I guess I better contact him, unless anyone can think of anything I may be missing. Some weird trick that is important when setting up a TBS card and SmartDVB?

Try removing the card and uninstalling the TBS software. Restart the computer and then shut down the computer. Restart the computer and use the TBS installer CD to only install the driver. Shut down the computer and install the card. Restart the computer and install EBS pro software and launch.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Cham
Yes EBSPro works well and is free now too. No magic required for setting these up in windoze, the software should find the card automatically when installed.

Olliec does the card show up in the: control panel / hardware&sound / device manager / sound, video, and game controllers? Should show up with your card "TBS 6920", and check which driver is installed and if shows it's "working properly" in it's properties window.

I have only installed one card (6903) and had no issues installing it and getting it going initially. I did have trouble with one updated driver, it just did not work on my machine for some reason. I just reloaded the original (from the disc that came with the card) and it worked fine again. TBS came out with a newer driver since, and it did work.

Also does your card have a plug for power supply input, and is it plugged in? many cards require more power than the PCI(e) slot can deliver and requires a few more MAs to power motors, switches, and LNBs. Just a thought.

Yes EBSPro works well and is free now too. No magic required for setting these up in windoze, the software should find the card automatically when installed.

Olliec does the card show up in the: control panel / hardware&sound / device manager / sound, video, and game controllers? Should show up with your card "TBS 6920", and check which driver is installed and if shows it's "working properly" in it's properties window.

I have only installed one card (6903) and had no issues installing it and getting it going initially. I did have trouble with one updated driver, it just did not work on my machine for some reason. I just reloaded the original (from the disc that came with the card) and it worked fine again. TBS came out with a newer driver since, and it did work.

Also does your card have a plug for power supply input, and is it plugged in? many cards require more power than the PCI(e) slot can deliver and requires a few more MAs to power motors, switches, and LNBs. Just a thought.

It does show up and it does say its working fine. It shows Q98% L0% on the meter in smartdvb too, all the time. Just no signal. The card gets pretty warm when trying to tune a channel. Card is not on the list for supported cards by EBSpro. Does not have external power input.

I haven't tried removing the driver and installing with out the card yet like Brian suggested, it was too late last night. I already contacted the guy to return. He was a seller of all things electronic and I don't believe this was his personal card. It was also the only TBS card on eBay and I thought I got it at a good price but ya know how that goes.

I don't buy used electrical on eBay. The seller never thinks the unit is bad, it just doesn't work the way they want it to. So they pawn their junk off to unsuspecting buyers. And get all hurt when you want your money back. More hassle than it's worth.

I don't buy used electrical on eBay. The seller never thinks the unit is bad, it just doesn't work the way they want it to. So they pawn their junk off to unsuspecting buyers. And get all hurt when you want your money back. More hassle than it's worth.

Yeah some are and some are really good. In this case I see the guy has tons of IT stuff for sale, I bet on getting a deal on a working card (with no accessories mind you) so I offered $35 and he took it and sent it. It was the only one for sale at the time used, there is another used for sale on there right now with all the accessories in the original box and many detailed pics. Thats my guy right there. Im pretty confident this will work.
As far as returns go, I messaged the seller of the bad card and told him whats up and that I would be returning, I told not asked, and they did not respond so it went out in the mail today. I will open a dispute as soon as they receive the package and then they will already have it in their hands. Thats how you deal with a sellers bad return policy. :argue

Reactions: bigg t and k.r.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)