TBS-HD (and TNT-HD I guess) - is ANYTHING in OAR?

AdamGott

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
I never really watched anything on TBS anyway so it isn't that big of a deal but the other day it started recording the baseball game a few hours early so I got to preview stretch-o-vision crappy sitcom reruns on TBS. On both of my HDTV's I cannot squeeze stretch-o-vision back to normal but I could roll my own stretch-o-vision if I wanted. So why can't these people at least show stuff in OAR? I know grandma will whine about black (or gray) bars on her tv but this stretched out crap looks horrible.

I had pretty much given up on TNT HD a long time ago because every time I turned there it was stretch-o-vision. Has this improved?

What about shows that were broadcast in HDTV like THE OFFICE. Does TBS at least show that in HD?

I flipped over to TBS HD when Friends was on, and the picture was even worse than TNT HD. Please don't let this channel keep us from getting a real HD channel.

The only things I watch on TNT are The Closer and Saving Grace which are both HD, and the occasional movie (watched the Lord of the Rings movies when they aired a month or two ago). They all looked awesome.

As far as stretch-o-vision, I agree. I wish they'd just show non hd material in their OAR and let me stretch it if I want (which I don't want to). I will say that if you watch enough of it though, you do get used to it. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels the same about OAR for 4x3 shows. TBS, TNT, A&E and the History Channel are unwatchable when they don't have true HD. And all but TNT that's almost all the time.

See ya
Tony

I don't really care if it's "True HD". If the history channel has to upconvert a SD program ('cause it doesn't have enuff HD), that's fine - just give it to me in the OAR!

I think TNT is actually pretty good (now) about showing more actual HD and not stretching. TBS definitely has a ways to go to catch up on that front...

I've NEVER seen anything properly formatted on TNT-HD...I gave up on them a year ago. Even shows that were in HD (like later Angel episodes) were stretched SD. I tried TBS-HD for the first time last night, it it was even worse. Stretched AND soft.

I haven't tried A&E much, but from what I've heard, at least it's a standard PAR stretch, which you should be able to fix in your TV settings.

I did, however, see The Wizard of Oz on TNT HD once & it was pillar boxed. I believe that was OAR for that movie, either that, or someone forgot to hit the stretch button :)

Yes, Wizard Of Oz in in 4:3. So that may have been an actual HD feed.

The Wizard of Oz was on TNT HD in HD 4x3. It was not an SD up-convert. It was an HD transfer (downgrade) of the original film in OAR. That is the only time I have ever seen TNT show a pillarbox.

See ya
Tony

When will people catch on ?? They scream for "more HD channels" and get them, except the providers don't have real HD programming on them.... then they get to complain about that.... Odds are, most of the stuff on TBS isn't available at HD resolutions anyway. Most sitcoms like those re-run on TBS were recorded on video and if it's like Seinfeld, it's unreasonable to convert them to 16:9 ratio and HD resolutions.

Patience is the only thing that will help.

When will people catch on ?? They scream for "more HD channels" and get them, except the providers don't have real HD programming on them.... then they get to complain about that....

Here's all I ask of an HD programmer...

1)If a program is available in HD, it should be shown in HD. (Example- later Angel reruns were broadcast in HD, but TNT has shown them in stretch-o-vision.)

2)If a program COULD be converted to HD, an effort should be made to convert it. (Example- I expect more than half of all movies to be shown in HD. I have tuned into movies many times on TNT, and only one was in HD. Also, any program shot on film COULD be converted.)

3)If a program is NOT available in HD, DON'T EFF WITH IT! Absolutely no-one wants stretch-o-vision!

Again, I gave up on TNT a year ago...maybe they've improved.

Here's all I ask of an HD programmer...

1)If a program is available in HD, it should be shown in HD. (Example- later Angel reruns were broadcast in HD, but TNT has shown them in stretch-o-vision.)

2)If a program COULD be converted to HD, an effort should be made to convert it. (Example- I expect more than half of all movies to be shown in HD. I have tuned into movies many times on TNT, and only one was in HD. Also, any program shot on film COULD be converted.)

3)If a program is NOT available in HD, DON'T EFF WITH IT! Absolutely no-one wants stretch-o-vision!

Again, I gave up on TNT a year ago...maybe they've improved.
The cost of converting syndicated re-runs is significant. In a couple of years, when the price of ALL HD technology comes down, you might see it.

2) I'm not sure if it's up to the network to "convert" shows or movies. In fact, are they even allowed to ?

On that note, I've read, I think, that HDNet does pay for conversions but that has to be with the owner's permission. And after that, who "owns" the HD version ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)