Tbs Hd Pathetic

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boydjp420

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I really hope they do not keep doing this but not one thing on TBS HD was in HD. It was stretchfest like no other. They are just sending their regular feed in digital. Even the little TBS sign is stretched!!! I even found it really PATHETIC that their own shows (House Of Pain) (which I don't watch anyway) was even stretched!!!

They just don't have any (enough) original HD programming; that is the reality. They will be fine when they show sports and live events and maybe a few major movies, but your typical run of the mill, everyday repeats and syndicated shows will be just what you see; and this is no surprise and will be the same of every channel and every provider..

Ok... Explain how TNT HD has a hold of Law and Order, from 1993 in HD???? It does not have to be filmed in HD to be HD. How do you think HD DVD is releasing old movies??? Same consept, if they get the widescreen version its on. Also King of Queens (Was HD on CBS), Yes Dear (HD CBS), Friends(WB) just to name a few should 100% be HD!!! We will see when they air episodes of The Office whether or not we will se any real HD on TBS or not. (Not just sports)

I'll laugh my ass off it the playoff are stretched. Maybe then enough people would e-mail them and say something...

Granted those shows were HD, but does TBS, in its syndication deals with those various producers or rights owners, have rights to show them via syndication?? Thats my question; as these are not live and/or 1st runs; and that was my point. HD brings up entirely new thoughts and business models within all these old synd deals; I for one would like to see the repeats in HD, but do not expect it yet in this early stage on any other channel other than the originating network if at all.

Ok... Explain how TNT HD has a hold of Law and Order, from 1993 in HD???? It does not have to be filmed in HD to be HD. How do you think HD DVD is releasing old movies??? Same consept, if they get the widescreen version its on. Also King of Queens (Was HD on CBS), Yes Dear (HD CBS), Friends(WB) just to name a few should 100% be HD!!! We will see when they air episodes of The Office whether or not we will se any real HD on TBS or not. (Not just sports)

They upconvert those shows and movies that were not filmed in HD and format them to be. They are not truly HD, but rather a 16X9 480p image.

Old time movies shot on actual film are actually a high resolution than HD. They are "down converted" to get them into a HD digital format. But that process is done frame by frame and to me, havng never done this process, seems it would take a long time.

So relax, TBS is just getting started. I seem to remember when TNTHD lit up, the exact same whining came out. TNTHD still had some shows that are upconverted and they have been broadcasting for what? 4-5 years now? I think they debuted when I had Voom, can't remember for sure.

I rember laughing watching seasons 1-2 of the original Law&Order. Grievey would walk from the middle of the screen to the side and he would get shorter and fatter as he got to the edge of the screen! :eek:

It's certainly not worth the frustration that you are projecting here. How many other channels of "true" HD do you just get yesterday? :rolleyes: If you want to watch tru HD, watch one of them!

I also learned that it is better to upconvert a show that used (film) instead of video.
You read wrong. It is better to take the film and create an HD version from it than to simply upconvert it. Of course that take a lot more time and effort.

There are many factors to take into consideration when converting archived video to HD, such as camera and lens type as well as the film or media used in the recording. It all depends on the source media used to make the upconverted HD video. Many networks use a lower resolution copy of a program when upconverting to HD, which leads to poor PQ. By upconverting copies of videos they already have, they can save a ton of money that would otherwise be spent on properly upconverting the masters to HD.

Well, for an example of how it should be done, take a look at Monsters HD on Dish. Very Nice jobs on converting !!!!!

Last edited:
They upconvert those shows and movies that were not filmed in HD and format them to be. They are not truly HD, but rather a 16X9 480p image.
nope shows that are filmmed in 35mm film are a higher resoloution than 1080I. shows filmed on video tape are a lower resoloution than HD

I really hope they do not keep doing this but not one thing on TBS HD was in HD. It was stretchfest like no other. They are just sending their regular feed in digital. Even the little TBS sign is stretched!!! I even found it really PATHETIC that their own shows (House Of Pain) (which I don't watch anyway) was even stretched!!!

I saw mouse hunt yesterday morning and it looked great ironically. Better than any movie on TNT.

Yea... I have seen 480p and trust me, it's a lot better than that!!...
Unless it is just my surround sound reciever that upconverts it more to 1080p

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)