TCM on Demand -- Dish is asleep again

TCM could charge extra for vod services at a later date. I'm told they are offering free right now, but when they decide to charge, as most companies do charge the tv providers for them, a small fee, it could change the price.

jJ Abrams did the two Star Trek films which were decent to fun. Looking at his history, he did the screenplay for Armageddon, which honestly should be considered a crime against humanity.
TCM could charge extra for vod services at a later date. I'm told they are offering free right now, but when they decide to charge, as most companies do charge the tv providers for them, a small fee, it could change the price.
Alright, so you've been complaining that adding the VOD would increase prices, but then found out it is "free" to the provider. So now your excuse is they could charge for it in the future?

It is a preview they are offering free from what was stated at this forum previously. Not a contract free addition. And yes, if giving it free while it's free, and then removing it when they charge for it, would confuse customers and likely cause cancellations. Not to mention, I'm sure there is a cost involved with converting it for dish equipment. Scott was mentioning something along those lines earlier. So even while free, would have costs associated with it for a small minority. Potentially raising bills for the majority.

Let's also get rid of all the Sports Channels and then you can watch them at a Sports Bar of your choice.

Do you know how dumb you sound?
Thanks for taking my comments out of context. I didn't suggest that you go to the library, only that I could have suggested it. Unless you really think that I suggested you go to the library, then you're the dumb one. I did suggest the pc hook-up though, which you shut down. Of course do you really want to watch TCM on demand on your tv, or do you really just want to complain about it? Because Dish doesn't have it on their boxes, but a pc connected to your tv will get it for you.

Reactions: ChadT41
Just put in a request to Dish in the channel request thread and be done with it. This thread and the Hopper fee name change thread are two of the goofiest complaint threads I've read in a while. It's like complaining just for the sake of complaining. Trust me, I know many people that complaining is one of their favorite hobbies.

Just put in a request to Dish in the channel request thread and be done with it. This thread and the Hopper fee name change thread are two of the goofiest complaint threads I've read in a while. It's like complaining just for the sake of complaining. Trust me, I know many people that complaining is one of their favorite hobbies.

Sorry, but I pay good money for my Dish subscription and I deserve to get a TCM Video On Demand Channel, just like DirecTV has.

I probably will cut Dish unless it puts it online, as soon as my contract is over. Hasta la vista, Baby.

Sorry, but I pay good money for my Dish subscription and I deserve to get a TCM Video On Demand Channel, just like DirecTV has.

I probably will cut Dish unless it puts it online, as soon as my contract is over. Hasta la vista, Baby.

Guess what, we all pay good money. Some pay more than others but like I said before, if you don't feel you are getting enough for what you pay then you have every right to switch to another provider. These are not major, life changing decisions. Hopefully the next provider is able to give you everything you are looking for but don't be surprised that they don't offer a certain channel or new service that you want.

This is not that hard to understand. Dish either doesn't have the rights, doesn't wish to pay for the rights, doesn't think it is an effective allocation of resources to implement, or some combination of all the above. As others have said there are substantial costs involved even if it is "free."

It really doesn't matter what the reasons are, Dish doesn't think it is worth the trouble at this time. I'm sure they are aware of the options and have made a conscious decision.

The only thing to do about it is make it known you want it, then if they don't get it move on and let them know the reason why. In writing is always better than just telling a CSR.

If anything, this thread has probably hurt the cause more than helped - not a lot of support or concern has been expressed by anyone else.

It is a preview they are offering free from what was stated at this forum previously. Not a contract free addition. And yes, if giving it free while it's free, and then removing it when they charge for it, would confuse customers and likely cause cancellations.
Of course customers would need to know it existed in the first place. The fear of people leaving over it being dropped if TCM started charging for access is a bit silly as an excuse for not having it.
Not to mention, I'm sure there is a cost involved with converting it for dish equipment. Scott was mentioning something along those lines earlier. So even while free, would have costs associated with it for a small minority. Potentially raising bills for the majority.
Yes, potentially raising the bills. But honestly, it couldn't possibly raise it much at all being an infrastructure cost, instead of a per sub cost.

As others have noted, Dish does not include it for whatever reason. That may change, but probably not. Access is available, and you can stream TCM live or on demand (well the West coast feed) thanks to being a Dish sub. So it is definitely better than nothing which is what I thought I had before this thread was started.

Reactions: mitchflorida
This is not that hard to understand. Dish either doesn't have the rights, doesn't wish to pay for the rights, doesn't think it is an effective allocation of resources to implement, or some combination of all the above.

Why can't you be honest and just admit that you don't know the reason why? Most likely some bureaucrat at Dish screwed up somewhere.

Oh I forgot, bureaucrats never screw up, right?

I have called Dish regarding this, you can't speak to anyone in authority and you can't get a straight answer.

Why can't you be honest and just admit that you don't know the reason why? Most likely some bureaucrat at Dish screwed up somewhere.

I have called Dish regarding this, you can't speak to anyone in authority and you can't get a straight answer.

Of course you didn't get to anyone in authority, did you expect to. you're not going to get a straight answer from anyone you're talking to at Dish because they do not know. Unless Dish releases a statement covering this I doubt any of us will truly know. Honestly, I don't see why Dish has to say anything about the channel anyway.

I was honest - I never said I knew anything.

It may well be a bureaucratic screw up, but if so, it was a deliberate one. I just don't believe this was an oversight or anyone being "asleep." It may have been an ill advised or shortsighted decision, they may lose more subs than they think, they may be wrong, but it was decided. Obviously a lot of folks have already been involved, or there wouldn't be access for Dish customers through the TCM site. That didn't happen in a vacuum.

Last edited:
How so? Dish subs have access to the online content. There has to be some level of agreement between Turner and Dish for that to be possible. Dish doesn't have NBCSN's Extra Time either, only access to the same content online. So this seems more like a trend than a mistake of sorts.

Is this really news?

Reactions: KAB and ChadT41
This is not that hard to understand. Dish either doesn't have the rights, doesn't wish to pay for the rights, doesn't think it is an effective allocation of resources to implement, or some combination of all the above. As others have said there are substantial costs involved even if it is "free."

It really doesn't matter what the reasons are, Dish doesn't think it is worth the trouble at this time. I'm sure they are aware of the options and have made a conscious decision.

The only thing to do about it is make it known you want it, then if they don't get it move on and let them know the reason why. In writing is always better than just telling a CSR.

If anything, this thread has probably hurt the cause more than helped - not a lot of support or concern has been expressed by anyone else.
You maybe can add that Dish has other projects they are currently working on. So maybe in time they might consider or implement TCM VOD.

Isn't this the same situation as abc. You can login to watchabc with your dish credentials on a mobile device but there is not a watchabc app on the hopper and we dont have abc on demand through the hopper. They just signed that new agreement with disney. My mother and my wife were both hoping for one of those options.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It's not likely to ever get any streaming channel app on the hopper. It's not a Roku. But that may be a suggestion. If wanting to watch it on the tv, see if watch abc is on Roku. One small charge and you are all set.

we already checked the Roku. They have Disney, Disney Jr, Disney Xd, ABC Family, ESPN, etc. but no watchabc. I know the wifey and mom were more less expecting ABC on demand through the hopper though with the new contract and all. Seems like something that would have been included with the new deal. Maybe TCM, TBS, TNT, TRUtv, etc will become available whenever the contract is renewed with Time Warner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts