Team Summit 2019

Tell that to Juan!

f7d7e95437a06f9e1d508fcad6a5051f4f6f58667d652b95f40f2b9acc33d323.jpg

I'm not sure how you can be so far out of touch with reality but man the air must be thin up there.

I don't think Claude Greiner is completely off base this time. If the LEO sat services take off, it will finally bring high speed internet service to the unserved and underserved rural areas. I don't think it's a question of if satellite will eventually be rendered passe, but when. It might still be 20 years off. I don't think it's unreasonable for Charlie to say the company's main focus is still satellite. For the forseeable future it will still be relevant.

The only customers left will be the ones in the sticks, and those customers along are not enough to justify keeping a DBS service in business.

I’m in the sticks, and I have gigabit FTTH :)

I still prefer Dish or DirecTV over the streaming MPVD services.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I’m in the sticks, and I have gigabit FTTH

I still prefer Dish or DirecTV over the streaming MPVD services.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I live in a city, have access to gigabit fiber, and still haven’t found anything I like as well as Dish. Is it perfect? No, but it is the best thing I have found that meets our needs.

I would go back to Dish in a heartbeat if they'd provide guide data for all local channels and their subchannels. But as of now, my FTA Edision OS MIO 4K receiver shows PSIP guide data for all channels and records them to a 3TB EHD for free, so I can't complain.
currently using only Netflix and YouTube for my entertainment needs but if I had to go back to Cable it would definitely be Dish. In reality the only thing I miss about Cable is Sports, not missing the Guy Fieri eating everything or Out of touch Kardashian marathons...

So Scott I read that Air Tv will be coming out with a 4 tuner version and you can attach you own external hard drive to. Then you could have your Air tv work with Sling Tv or as an add on service to your DISH satellite service. You would save the $12.00 a month if you used the Air tv tuners as your main source of for your locals. I do that now with my Tablo 4 tuner ota dvr. I would of chose Air tv first if they had offered the 4 tuner version last year. Now the question is will Air tv provide all guide data for the main networks and the sub channels as well?

Reactions: dishdude
I would go back to Dish in a heartbeat if they'd provide guide data for all local channels and their subchannels. But as of now, my FTA Edision OS MIO 4K receiver shows PSIP guide data for all channels and records them to a 3TB EHD for free, so I can't complain.

I don't know how many subscribers are affected or how many would stay or subscribe to DISH, however it's counter intuitive for DISH not to provide the data. They have made obvious efforts to get you less dependent on sat provided locals providing info for all the channels/sub channels when using OTA should be done.

I don't think Claude Greiner is completely off base this time. If the LEO sat services take off, it will finally bring high speed internet service to the unserved and underserved rural areas. I don't think it's a question of if satellite will eventually be rendered passe, but when. It might still be 20 years off. I don't think it's unreasonable for Charlie to say the company's main focus is still satellite. For the forseeable future it will still be relevant.

My idea on technology can be summed up with my belief this will happen....
screen-shot-2017-06-22-at-24617-pmpng.png

Satellite service for TV is the most reliable service. In emergency situations it's relatively easy to still get service, not as easy as AM radio but that's not video service. I virtually never lose service while cable/internet has several outages a year sometimes more than just a short time. But technology progresses at a faster and faster pace.

If LEO can work that seems like one of two logical evolutions, the other being affordable high speed terrestrial cellular networks directly to homes. I don't think Cable internet is the answer and that too may go the way of traditional satellite.
As for streaming in general Claude it likely correct. Think of how many grew up with CD's/optical discs of whatever nature (blu ray etc) and how streaming music and now even movies is common in huge numbers. For alot of people watching TV only by streaming isn't there yet and it isn't for me. But as that matures so will those who grew up with streaming and soon that too will be the main way to watch TV. I just don't think via Cable is the long term answer as noted above.

Don't confuse that with cost. In small increments many of us are being proven correct as time goes on that streaming will not be the low cost system some thought it would be.

So Scott I read that Air Tv will be coming out with a 4 tuner version and you can attach you own external hard drive to. Then you could have your Air tv work with Sling Tv or as an add on service to your DISH satellite service. You would save the $12.00 a month if you used the Air tv tuners as your main source of for your locals. I do that now with my Tablo 4 tuner ota dvr. I would of chose Air tv first if they had offered the 4 tuner version last year. Now the question is will Air tv provide all guide data for the main networks and the sub channels as well?

Yes.

The four tuner version will come with 1 tb hard drive.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

The four tuner version will come with 1 tb hard drive.

Any ETA on a 4 turner version? Do you think it would work with the Hooper as an OTA tuner? Do you think the Hooper would see all 4 tuners? I know, lots of do you thinks :) I'm using the 2 tuner AirTV module as a backup OTA recording. I've got 4 HDHomeRun tuners recording via Plex DVR skipping commercials at all time on all networks. Unfortunately it will sometimes skip the "Next Week" part of the shows so I go to the backup recording on the H3. There are times that I have more than 2 recordings going so there's no backup to go to on some programs. I'd love to be able to record 4 channels on the H3.

Oh, I'm also interested in that OTA signal meter. I'll be looking for that to come out.

Any ETA on a 4 turner version? Do you think it would work with the Hooper as an OTA tuner? Do you think the Hooper would see all 4 tuners?
The Fall is when its slated, but would not surprise me to see it early next year.

No it won't work with a Hopper, and no the Hopper won't see the tuners. :)

The Fall is when its slated, but would not surprise me to see it early next year.

Scott, thanks for all the fabulous information you got at the Summit. I still have one question on when will we have the ability to add an individual OTA channel without having to do a full rescan??? I was happy to hear about the seniors and veterans deals and will look forward to getting them . Thanks again Scott...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts