Team Summit: General Assembly Thoughts and Pics

I'd hate to have to go back to an HTPC. I did that in the early HDTV days and just watched on my PC monitor. Today, I'd have to buy ANOTHER PC and install it next to my main TV, rig it with my Onyko and program the ole' Harmony to yet another configuration. And then listen to my wife and MiL ask why it can't just be simple.

Not a thrilling prospect. My ViP722s may be with me a long time. Or there's always Fios. They have a LOT more local channels than Dish.

That's an old style HTPC hook up. I run mine from one side of my living room to behind my entertainment center using an HDMI to dual CAT 5 cable. Then at the other end it converts the CAT 5 back to HDMI. Works great and the line is around 50 ft to the Yamaha 7.1 a/v receiver then HDMI to 42 " Panny Plasma TV monitor. If you have to go to a longer run you use CAT 6 for a run I think of 100 ft.

Sounds great, but I have no idea what you talking about when you say "thin client", or is that a typo? Will I be able to upgrade my 622s anytime "soon"?

Sounds great, but I have no idea what you talking about when you say "thin client", or is that a typo? Will I be able to upgrade my 622s anytime "soon"?
Thin Client = Coax.

As far as soon, it depends on how soon, soon is. :)

Personally I would not expect the XiP series to be released this year.

Thin Client = Coax.
This is, at best, grossly misleading.

The client is the device at the other end of the cable, not the cable itself. Thin client means that all of the heavy lifting is done at the server and the thin client acts as a User Interface (terminal).

It may be useful for you to familiarize yourself with RVU and/or Remote Desktop/VNC to help illustrate the distinction.

Thats the way they announced it, not something I made up.

The nice part though is it can be RG 6 or even RG 59, so it can take advantage of existing cable in most peoples homes. :)

The main difference between connecting this 813 up vs the 222/322/522/625/722 is that it will hook up two additional rooms vs one, still using coax as before in which RG-59 worked before going to the additional TV2 rooms, except you need to hook up a 110 box in each additional room. Instead of a diplexer underneath the house you got that special node to install.

I wasn't accusing you. I was offering a caution to avoid the spread of misinformation.

The DISH/Echostar marketroids explained it incorrectly. They tried to do something similar with the term TV Everywhere.

Are you sure they weren't describing how the XiP110 interacts with the XiP813 and not the network media that is in-between them?

Scott Greczkowski said:
Thats the way they announced it, not something I made up.

The nice part though is it can be RG 6 or even RG 59, so it can take advantage of existing cable in most peoples homes. :)

Would it need to be RG-6 atleast to the main?

Looking at FCC ID of the 813 I see it is old mentioned in many FW 422 ! Again those marketoids did 'awesome' job - found wobbly name for it.
Like that ViP622 for DP962 or ViP922 for ViP722s.

AH, the "joys" of 10BASE2 (& my dearly missed Novell Netware). I had almost erased that from my memory. "HEY! The network's down." "I only wanted to move the wires out of the way and then the phone rang ......" Or my favorite: "I thought I had too many wires hanging behind my desk and I didn't know that those were for so ......" :rolleyes:

The pain was only alleviated by listening to my friends with token ring. :D

I wonder when the last Banyan Vines net was taken offline.

Looking at FCC ID of the 813 I see it is old mentioned in many FW 422 ! Again those marketoids did 'awesome' job - found wobbly name for it.
Ha! IMHO it should be called an 833 or maybe even 843, not 813 or 422. At least the 110 has an evocative number.

Ha! IMHO it should be called an 833 or maybe even 843, not 813 or 422. At least the 110 has an evocative number.

I'm sure I'm missing something way over my head, but generally in the naming convention (not all receivers follow this convention) the last number refers to number of tuners and the second last refers to number of outputs. I don't know what the first number refers to. The convention seems to hold in this case, the 813 has one output with 3 tuners and the 110 has one output with no tuners.

Last edited:
Are you sure they weren't describing how the XiP110 interacts with the XiP813 and not the network media that is in-between them?
I'm relatively confident that Scott is relating what he heard and what he heard was incorrect.

The term "thin client" is pretty well defined these days and it has nothing to do with the media that connects the client to the server.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)