Team Summit update thread!

Foxbat said:
I haven't gotten a real good up-close look at a SuperDish, but I always wondered if you could take the FSS/DBS combo heads from the two varieties and put them on one SuperDish. It must not be possible if Dish says no 4-sat SuperDish. Maybe it's too hard to get all four LNBs aligned.

So I gather the "official" solution for a customer who wants Locals and Internationals is always going to be a two-dish solution, right?
If you need both 105 & 121, that's true. The biggest part of the problem is that the 105 & 121 signals are weaker and require the larger dish - you're not going to get both birds focused on the same dish. There are toriodal dishes out there that can do the job however.

Two words MPAA & Hollywood. These people know that if you download an HD movie to any hard drive, then burn it 2 a DVD, they going to lose many. They will lose money at the theatres and on DVD's. Once you output data from a HDD, there is no limit to what you can do with it. Copy, Edit, and Sell.

WJMorales said:
Two words MPAA & Hollywood. These people know that if you download an HD movie to any hard drive, then burn it 2 a DVD, they going to lose many. They will lose money at the theatres and on DVD's. Once you output data from a HDD, there is no limit to what ypu can do with it. Copy, Edit, and Sell.
This assumes that the file has been decrypted. What the people at Dish just do not seem to get is that you can offload any of this if you encrypt it so that it can only be reloaded using the same receiver key, which could be downloaded and based on your account number.

Of course, the MPAA issue doesn't explain why TiVo allows expansion drives.

Simon,
Yeah, I looked at the one toroidal dish that has been mentioned here before, but you can't use DishPro LNBfs with it, or any even-reflectored dish. Is there even a source for DP FSS LNBs?

Foxbat said:
Simon,
Yeah, I looked at the one toroidal dish that has been mentioned here before, but you can't use DishPro LNBfs with it, or any even-reflectored dish. Is there even a source for DP FSS LNBs?
That's correct - you have to use their mirror-polarized LNBFs. Legacy Dish switches should work, but check with the toriodal's manufacturer.

It could use the same lnbf's instead of the mirror-polarized lnbf's if there was an additional reflector used in the toriodal dishes, that would mean a total of three reflectors instead of two, but I do not think there is such a dish out there. Would such a dish with a third reflector help reduce the size of the main reflector even more just as the second reflrector does in the toriodal dish?

WJMorales said:
That's the point Dish can not or will not guarntee that the data will be protected at all times. Guys it's all about the Benjamins!

Allowing data storage on an external hard drive in less then 5 minutes different then the internal hard drive (time to remove 6 screws and pop the cover).

Encryption is the only way to provide any sort of data security.

There's a yahoo group devoted to ripping data from the Dishplayer/50x for personal use (there are groups for TiVo as well). The 721 is not do-able because the data in encrypted. I would think that the 921 uses the same encryption as the 721.

Scott Greczkowski said:
...They announced that a full Smart Card exchange would take place in August / September, with the complete swap out completed by 2005...

Is that the beginning or end of 2005?

I'm sure DISH would not be thrilled that I'd use a legitimately subscribed smart card in something other than their receiver. But it just might be legal.

Oh.... I thought you sounded like another pirate trying to hack their system.... I don't think they would help you though, and they would probably bill you for another smart card if ANYTHING ever goes wrong with it since you were using it in an "unauthorized manner".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)