Team Summit update thread!

Greetings again.

The night is over and I am saddend to say Team Summit is now officially over.

Tonight we saw Jay Leno, who did an hour and 15 minute show, he kept everyone laughing almost the entire time! He put on a great show and everyone seemed impressed with his style of comedy.

After that I got to meet Stacy Keibler, Dawn Marie and Lita, 3 of the Divas from the WWE. All were very friendly and saw that I had my camera with me and wanted to take a picture with me. :) How could I resist? :D

After that I once again (for the third time today) I got to talk with Charlie, this time Charlie was in a fun joking mood he still wanted to play poker but other dealers wanted his attention as well. Charlie asked me who I would like to see on a future consumer chat and I told him Joe Clayton from Sirius. If you have never heard this guy speak you need to, hes a hoot. :)

Ok Earlier I promised that I would get your technical questions answered. Instead of posting each question let me start off with talking about the 942 as many of you asked questions which were very simular regarding it.

The 942 is what you get when you combine a 811 and a 522 together. The menus all look like the 522. The unit features two satellite tuners but only ONE over the air tuner. I personally see this as a HUGE flaw in the design.

The reason I consider one Over The Air tuner a flaw is the fact that this unit serves two TV's. If one TV is watching an over the air local station, the second unit can not watch another OTA channel, instead they will get an error message telling them the OTA tuner is in use, and to try again later.

Imagine if the user of TV 1 falls asleep watching TV and they are watching an OTA channel, now the person at TV 2 who actually wants to watch an OTA channel is locked out from actually viewing it.

The 942 currently has a 120gig hard drive, however it is expected that when the unit is released there could be a 200 gig or larger hard drive. The decission on what size drive will be made just before the unit goes into Official production. Dish is VERY hopefull to have the 942 out by the holiday season this year. Unlike the 921, the 942 is being done entirely in house (including the software) and because of this and the fact the 942 is based on the 322/522 software, this should help Dish meet their dates for the unit.

I did not get any programming questions answered, this was due to the fact that no one from programming was here to ask questions to.

I did however speak to the programmers themselves, and I was told by the Starz Guys that Starz HD will hopefully be available on Dish soon. The same thing was said by the people from Showtime about The Movie Channel HD.

Dish has NO PLANS to offer external storage for any of its DVR units, EXCEPT for a new product coming out called DishPod. The Dishpod is a TV which can download shows and is portable and uses batteries. With it you can plug the unit into your DVR's USB ports and download shows to the unit, you can then take the unit with you and watch TV whereever.

There will never be a thing like a "Super" Super Dish which can pick up 110 119, 121 and 105.

Dish has no plans at this time for a native HD mode function in the 811/921/942.

Mapping the OTA guide data on the 921 from its current location on the satellite IS coming.

When I wake up in the morning on will be flying back to Connecticut. From there I will be writing a more indepth writeup and explain many of the pictures you have seen. I will also crown one of the new products or concepts as SatelliteGuys pick for the Best In Show Award. :)

Time to pack and get to bed, this has been a fun trip, I do hope everyone has enjoyed our coverage!

Attachments

• scott_wwe.jpg
    scott_wwe.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,241
Unthinkable said:
Somethings amiss when innocent threads everywhere are being trainwrecked with talk about how Dish couldn't even get their demo trucks setup properly. Talk about trivial and just complaining for the sake of complaining alone.
Dude. It was funny. If you can't see that, then I certainly can't explain it to you.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I get the sense from your posts that you aren't one to ever really express much in the way of gratitude or thanks when Dish does do great things for customers everywhere.
Great things? Let's not get carried away. They do good things.(Sirius and TNT-HD, most recently.) They do bad things.(HW design and manufacture, and customer service.) Hopefully, it'll change for the better.
Please don't fall into the same trap others have done previously where overwhelming negativity turns to senseless rage and hate in every mentioning of Dish clouding all semblances of objectivity to the point of no return.
Rage and hate? Unless we find out the 811 is made from people, I don't have any hate and rage towards Dish.

They didn't show it other then a photo of it during one of the confrences.

BTW one more picture from the show....

Attachments

• espn.jpg
    espn.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 341
Wow dish really likes to border on the edge with trademark names. I'm suprised they never called their DVR a DIVO ;)

Hey Gary - you're good! We might have conflicting political beliefs, but you've got a brain, man.

A.A. - you're on the money with the 1394 vs. USB 2.0 stuff - but it doesn't matter anyway. Dish turkeys aren't gonna let us offload anything except to their own little TV maybe - see Scott's post from the Summit.

I remember when they had shown other home media solutions at the Team Summits in the past which must have become vaporware (I believe Roxy was the name), a wireless keyboard for the 721 that won an award (never has and never will be released since the 721 does not do internet functionality), and the DVD player/satellite receiver combination (right before DVD players got very cheap, dvd burner with player would make more sense in combination with the DVR).

I think some will try to come up with a way to put their recordings to an external hard drive since they will be downloading them into the portable pod. I think being able to view them on a laptop when you go travelling would be a much better experience than a portable pod. Couldn't someone even view HD on their laptop if it had a high enough resolution?

Isnt there FTA channels on C/Ku Bands that have talk shows on them along with other content? If so why doesn't Dish carry those stations since it would be cheap/free for them? I am sure those stations would not mind increasing their viewing audience by 10 million. Perhaps some had to pay to be on C/Ku Bands and would have to pay Dish as well (which would want a bit more unless there was really good content/high demand).

If they could track you very quickly then that would be a different story, you would not be able to use the phone very long at all if they could track it quickly.

another close one for Dish...actually it's Devo that's taken. Divo would be fine

ha
ha
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

How about: iDish
Another Mac rip-off.

Actually, I have one for Charlie if Dish ever buys Voom, he can name it: Doom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)