Teardown video/photos of Hopper 3 or similar receivers

Wasn't trying to be a wiseguy, just encouraging the exploration. I ran some Googleage on it and came up empty as well!

If you want to be prepared for the hard drive failure (I've had two), read the messages that include the term ST2000VM003, seemingly the only hard drive supported by the H3, even though that drive came out in 2012. Or instead of owning the box and replacing the hard drive, others will suggest to just deal with the downtime and return your leased H3 box and wait for the new one to be sent.

Thanks - yeah I saw that. Many of the threads/posts with ST2000VM003 actually were by you! That's too bad about the many HD failed on the Hopper 3. I used my original Hopper for 9 years without any HD failures. That Seagate drive is only like $35-40 online.

Thanks! Dual antenna Wi-Fi system, with antennas widely spaced and rotated 90 degrees to each other. 6mm clearance area separating the phone connector from everything else. “SEMI-SECURE” label. Interesting!

I wonder if anyone has found out if that Toshiba drive is still usable in a Hopper 3?

Take a look here:

There are internal photos at three different places, not sure if it's 100% the same or not:
1) 1018 BT + ZIGBEE and WLAN DTS/UNII a/b/g/n MIMO Satellite Set Top Box Teardown Internal Photos ID082x Echostar Technologies
2) 1018 BT + ZIGBEE and WLAN DTS/UNII a/b/g/n MIMO Satellite Set Top Box Teardown Internal Photos ID082x Echostar Technologies
3) 1018 BT + ZIGBEE and WLAN DTS/UNII a/b/g/n MIMO Satellite Set Top Box Teardown Internal Photos ID082x Echostar Technologies

This is great! Thanks!

Thanks! Dual antenna Wi-Fi system, with antennas widely spaced and rotated 90 degrees to each other. 6mm clearance area separating the phone connector from everything else. “SEMI-SECURE” label. Interesting!

I wonder if anyone has found out if that Toshiba drive is still usable in a Hopper 3?
That is a Hopper 3, I wonder if they all use Toshiba 2TB inside, always thought it would be Seagate or Western Digital.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, but note earlier the comments about the ST2000VM003 (Seagate) being seemingly the only supported drive. Based on these pictures, there might be another one. (Or at least there was another one, if it wasn't obsoleted by a newer firmware version??)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, but note earlier the comments about the ST2000VM003 (Seagate) being seemingly the only supported drive. Based on these pictures, there might be another one. (Or at least there was another one, if it wasn't obsoleted by a newer firmware version??)
Maybe in reality, they use different manufacturers for the HDs as this was as of 2015/2016 and the HD manufacturers can always discontinue products and come up with new models. And look at this post where the Hopper 3's HDD is a
Western Digital WD20EURX-57T0FY1:

Ofcourse, maybe the Toshba drives had problems and they decided to use something else. Couldn't read the model number for the Toshiba HDD. I guess we need a original early build date model to see what's inside as refurbs could also mean the HD was replaced with something else that worked.

Update: Someone says their Hopper 3 uses a Toshiba HDD:

Last edited:

Wally remote

Dish Network 1522b Error Code