TECH: 121 Single LNB Orbital Location?

Tekken

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Hey guys,
Im a DNS Technician looking for some insight on something I know is possible but like most I work 7 days a week with out much time to play around with things.

Im tired of doing dual tuner installs with the Superdish 121 and 105 kits and having to run two lines to each dual tuner receiver when a 44 switch isn't available.

What I want to do is use the DPP Twin LNB and mount a second dish pointing directly at the 121 or 105 satellite orbitals like we do with the 61.5 for voom etc. and feed that into the satellite in port of the DPP Twin to save time and materials.

Does anyone know the elevation and general asmith of the 121 and 105 orbitals without using its actual superdish to make this possible? Im working in NC zip 28217 over a 140 mile radius and these people love thier locals just like I love my time :)

Also, if using a DPP Twin LNB with the Satellite in port in use... Can I still use a seperator on the dual tuner to get all 3 orbitals or did I waste my time typing all this up? :rolleyes:

You'll need a SuperDish-sized dish and the SuperDish FSS LNBF to make this work with the DPP Twin; you could just take the output from the FSS LNBF and run that to the LNB In port on the DPP Twin and leave the other two LNBFs on the SD unused.

Regardless of which dish you use, the azimuth and elevation for 121 and 105 will be the same as what's documented in the SuperDish install guide.

And yes, this should work with a separator.

So I cant use the 24" dish with a DP dual LNB?

We replace the 121 orbital lnb on the Superdishes all the time on service calls with DP duals when they go out and always brings things back online.

I figured I could use the 24" dish 500 for sure since the 18" dish 300 used to be used on satellite 119 back in the day before 110's time. They resized the 18" dish to 24" to accomidate for the second satellite (110) so im sure it will be big enough for the single 121 satellite.

Im sure this is possible, I will give it a shot in the morning and let you guys know how it turns out tommorow night. Thanks for your advice, didnt know if the same elevation and asmith would work or not as listed.

Tekken said:

We replace the 121 orbital lnb on the Superdishes all the time on service calls with DP duals when they go out and always brings things back online.

I figured I could use the 24" dish 500 for sure since the 18" dish 300 used to be used on satellite 119 back in the day before 110's time. They resized the 18" dish to 24" to accomidate for the second satellite (110) so im sure it will be big enough for the single 121 satellite.

Im sure this is possible, I will give it a shot in the morning and let you guys know how it turns out tommorow night. Thanks for your advice, didnt know if the same elevation and asmith would work or not as listed.

I don't think that's going to work and even if it does (barely) work, you're just going to make the customer mad every time a slight drizzle comes along. The recommended minimum for FSS is 30". Even if you're able to get a signal using a 24", forget a hard rain, it's going to get knocked out by just a drop or two.

And remember, the DISH500 is big enough to pick up two orbital locations but 110 & 119 are DBS satellites, not FSS satellites. Just because a DISH500 is big enough for two DBS satellites does NOT mean it's big enough for one FSS satellite.

The only way you can do this is to do 119 and 110 on the dish 500 (with the DPP LNB) and have the superdish dedicated (Only the 105 or 121 LNB)...

Of course, you'd waste a whole LNB (the 119 on the 121 dish and the 110 on the 105 dish since those are integrated into the 121/105 LNB boxes themselves), but at least 110 and 119 would not only have that DPP LNB (so you only have to run 1 wire to each dual tuner receiver with the DP separator!), but you'd get a better signal on 110/119 since those don't really get as good a signal on the superdish without sacrificing 121 or 105's signal.

Tekken said:
I don't care if you use a 3-meter dish, you are NOT going to pick up 105 or 121 wth a DP Single, Dual, Twin, DPP-Twin, or Quad.
Tekken said:
Im sure this is possible ...
Well, I'm sure it's not.

105 & 121 are FSS, not BSS. Linear polarization on a different band than the circular polarization 'standard' E* and D* birds.

Originally Posted by Tekken

I would have to see that with my own eyes. I don't see how that would be possible.

ats7627 said:
Originally Posted by Tekken

I would have to see that with my own eyes. I don't see how that would be possible.

Someone is mistaken here, you can't simply replace the combo lnb with a dual and make it work.

The two issues to cover here is 1) you have to use an FSS lnb and 2) the FSS signal is weak so you need something sizeable to collect the signal. I think a 24" might be big enough to work but the FSS solo dishes we have in our warehouse are all 30" and superdish shaped (why would that matter?)

105 & 121 are FSS, not BSS. Linear polarization on a different band than the circular polarization 'standard' E* and D* birds.[/QUOTE]

and the FSS power is some percentage points below half the power output of the DBS satellite . . .

mudder1310 said:
Someone is mistaken here, you can't simply replace the combo lnb with a dual and make it work.

The two issues to cover here is 1) you have to use an FSS lnb and 2) the FSS signal is weak so you need something sizeable to collect the signal. I think a 24" might be big enough to work but the FSS solo dishes we have in our warehouse are all 30" and superdish shaped (why would that matter?)

in re: the (why would that matter?) . . .
it doesn't directly, as the superdish shape is actually detuned parabolic to accomodate the trifocal sky view, if you wanted to optimize for a single sat you would want a perfect parabolic dish with an offset arm, which shapes up as an ellipse with its long axis vertical to the satellite's azimuth . . .

mudder1310 said:

My point exactly. The gentleman stated that they replaced 121 FSS lnbs with DP Dual lnbs and got them to work. I don't see how that is possible, so I would have to see it for myself.

The FSS (105/121) LNBF is the one that points directly at the center of the dish and is integrated into the actual mount assembly so you couldn't be replacing that one. I think you are thinking the one on the outrigger is FSS which is probably the one you are talking about replacing. The outrigger points at 119 for the 105 dish, or 110 for the 121 dish.

Pepper said:
The FSS (105/121) LNBF is the one that points directly at the center of the dish and is integrated into the actual mount assembly so you couldn't be replacing that one. I think you are thinking the one on the outrigger is FSS which is probably the one you are talking about replacing. The outrigger points at 119 for the 105 dish, or 110 for the 121 dish.

You are absolutley correct pepper, sorry for misunderstanding the LNB layout on the SD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts