Tech: 211

Dawgers

Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Just signed up for new service with E* and got 2- 211's setup today. I had some questions for the installer but I dont think he gave me the correct info.

1st- do the 211's come with DVI cables, mine did not and the installer said they do not come with them or component cables eventhough my 811 came with a HDMI cable out of the box a year ago.

2nd - My installer also said I do not need an off air ant to get HD Locals because it is built into this system:what

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

My 211 didn't come with component or DVI/HDMI cables. Fortunately I had my own.

Where are you located? Some locations DISH has locals in HD coming from their satellite. That may be what he was referring to.

Hi!

The 211's do not come packaged with component cables. Most techs do carry their own from the warehouse or retailler. Sorry you got someone who didn't.

The 211/411/622/etc does come with the built in tuner for accepting signal and decoding HD off-air locals. In my territory, HD locals do not come off of the dish (yet) but they keep promising that they will. If you live close enough to the towers, you could try a set-top antenna and plug it into the receiver (the port is labeled on the back of your 211). Then, access the menu (after you read your manual) and scan for your HD channels. They will then appear right in your program guide.

Dish Network is available for tech support on the HD off-air locals...But read the manual...It is not complicated and you can even label the channels how you would like (ie., "58" or "CBS" or whatever....)

Also, I would appreciate if you are dissatisfied that the receiver did not come with cables to contact Dish and make a complaint...I personally do not see why (if you are getting an HD box) that they do not provide the cables to connect it in the format (HD) that you are paying the extra money to subscribe to...If enough people register their complaints, they will change the policy.

Thanks & Good Luck!
Jen

I live in Los Angeles county, we get ABC, CBS and NBC in HD that I know of. I just thought since I had to use a OTA with my 811 I would need the same for the 211.The installer gave me a set of component cables but hooked my Plasma up with regualr analog cables. Luckily I had extra component so Im set until I can get a decent price on DVI's. I believe I will go ahead and contact Dish and log a complaint on why cables are not included on a HD package. Thanks for the help all.

Since antenna line is already run, I would hook them up, just for backup. In the last couple of weeks there have been some downpours and I lost the sat channels. OTA connected would still give you something to watch till channels come back.

I had extra component so Im set until I can get a decent price on DVI's

http://monoprice.com

Best deal on cables period. Also don't use Monster Digital Video cables. The sheild for the HDMI port is poorly designed and is too small. This causes a very tight connection which could break the fragile solder connections between the connector and the PCB inside the box when forced. Also you can buy 10 cables from monoprice for the price of one monster cable, and they are just as good.

Digital video cables from monoprice are like 10-30 bucks. I have several and have been using them for months. I can't tell a difference between them and the way over priced monster dvi-hdmi cable.

Thanks Will, I got two cables for about $15 from monoprice and they are about 15mi away from my city. I agree with your monster cable statement, they arnt the easiest cables to pull off.

BobaBird said:
Per http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/receiver/411.shtml it is supposed to come with:
Appropriate HD cable for install
  • (1) HDTV Digital Audio/Video to DVI Cable (8 ft) OR
  • (1) DVI to HDTV Digital Audio/Video Adapter OR
  • (1) Y/Pb/Pr 3-Wire Cable (red, blue, green) (6 ft)

Unfortunately, they don't. When I got mine all I got was a composite cable and a phone cable and I saw the installer opened the box so it's not like he took them.

One thing I thought was pretty cool and worth mentioning is that the installer actually went under my house and ran the coax to 2 bedrooms(at each end of the house). I was like whoa man your alot braver then me. So I got all my cable to run under the house with no cables along the molding. I thought that would be an additional cost and not be a basic install.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)