Tech Chat Recap - August 13, 2007

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I wonder if the guy from Seagate last night was still waiting on his software update for his 522???

I think that having more hard drive on the internal hard drive is a nice feature to have when you consider how much I record during the fall season on tv. I will get one just for that reason. I also have the external hard drive for all the movies I record . The 722 will also have HD video on demand movies. I just wonder if they will add a dollar to that one too and make it 5.99 for an hd vod? THe sd vods are 4.99 so it stands to reason that one dollar more for the hd vod.

622 for new HD

I wonder if they will continue to sub out 622's to existing 1st time HD customers, I have been tryin to get my parents to upgrade to HD! They still have a 510!

Question regarding Dish home plug

According to the graphic all one needs to do is install a compatible home device to the router and then just plug in the receiver. No additional device is needed for the Dish 622. Is this correct? If it is then I just bought a wireless bridge for no reason as I would prefer to use the Home plug system.

Please advise.

JC:confused:

According to the graphic all one needs to do is install a compatible home device to the router and then just plug in the receiver. No additional device is needed for the Dish 622. Is this correct? If it is then I just bought a wireless bridge for no reason as I would prefer to use the Home plug system.

Please advise. JC:confused:

According to them, you needed the HomePlug in a wall adapter near the receiver, and then another one near the router.

I know nothing about how effective that in comparison with a 80211G wireless connection.

I wonder if they will continue to sub out 622's to existing 1st time HD customers, I have been tryin to get my parents to upgrade to HD! They still have a 510!

Pretty sure they said the 622 would be discontinued. Makes sense.

I'll be ordering my 722 this week. The sooner the better. I agree with the post about wanting the extra space. During the tv season, my DVR gets filled quickly. And after almost two years, I'll be glad to have a new box.

As far as I can tell, the only advantage of the 722 over the 622 is the larger hard drive.

Larry
SF

And the ViP722 is black.

Yes, they said the ViP722 REPLACES the ViP622. I'm sure we'll see plenty of ViP622s around for a long time, though. I hope we won't find out later that the ViP722 has some other highly desired feature, other than one I hope to see: I hope the ViP722 has a much stronger connector for the HDMI. If it does, then I see why the ViP622 would be discontinued, with so little other difference between the two.

HOme plug followup

Yep thats what I noticed but I guess it is home plug version 1 comaptible but I wonder if it is also upward comaptible with the faster version of homeplug which has the 54mb speed. In the tech chap recap I seem to remember something about that but it wasnt clear.

RE: Technical Chat Recap

I'm surprise nobody asked what resolution the DVR is capable of recording at. The Tivo Series 2 (SD) DVR's for example max out at something like 524x480 when using the best quality setting. I'm not sure what the Tivo 3 can do.

Anyone know what the quality settings and resolutions that go along with them are for the DISH ViP622 and/or ViP722? Thanks.

-- Dan

Yep thats what I noticed but I guess it is home plug version 1 comaptible but I wonder if it is also upward comaptible with the faster version of homeplug which has the 54mb speed. In the tech chap recap I seem to remember something about that but it wasnt clear.

HomePlug and HomePlug Plus but not HomePlug AV.

I'm surprise nobody asked what resolution the DVR is capable of recording at. The Tivo Series 2 (SD) DVR's for example max out at something like 524x480 when using the best quality setting. I'm not sure what the Tivo 3 can do.

Anyone know what the quality settings and resolutions that go along with them are for the DISH ViP622 and/or ViP722? Thanks.

-- Dan

The 622/722 do not convert any signals like the Tivo has to. Whatever the resolution and bitrate is, that's what the 622/722 records it at.

-- Dan

Why would anyone need to ask. Not sure what they top at for quality, but at least to broadcast ATSC values. ie 1080i or 720p to at least 19mbps. Remember it does not encode like the SD Tivo's to mpeg2, but just records the ota broadcast mpeg2, satellitite broadcast mpeg2/mpeg4/VC1(vc1 is a announced future).

Why would anyone need to ask. Not sure what they top at for quality, but at least to broadcast ATSC values. ie 1080i or 720p to at least 19mbps. Remember it does not encode like the SD Tivo's to mpeg2, but just records the ota broadcast mpeg2, satellitite broadcast mpeg2/mpeg4/VC1(vc1 is a announced future).

Why? Because those who have DISH or DirecTV and use other branded DVR's such as a Tivo, don't necessarily get the maximum resolution available. The end result is the playback looks worse than the live satellite feed. Obviously there is compression during the recording which further degrades the live feed, but still.

When you capture a live feed at a lower resolution, you need to expect sub-par quality playback. Whereas when you record a live feed at the native resolution, you should expect similar playback results to the live feed itself, that's all. I would think an a/v phile would want to know this. Thanks for the reply. :)

-- Dan

Please advise.

According to the chat and the slides above all you need is a homeplug device from your router/switch to your wall plug. The 622 will pickup the network through the powercord if it is plugged into an approved surge strip or wall outlet.

I found my answer but was surprised to learn that the system is home plug 1 or 14 megs compliant. the 54 megs systems are obviously much faster. Oh well, back to my wireless bridge!

JC

Is your internet speed faster than 14mbps on the download side?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts