Tech Chat Recap - August 13, 2007

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
masop;

You misunderstand how the Dish DVR receivers operate - they do not "compress" (the word you're really looking for here is "encode") anything. They take the MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 bitstream directly off the sat feed and record it - they do not perform any operations on that bitstream. DISH DVR's are not TiVO.

According to the chat and the slides above all you need is a homeplug device from your router/switch to your wall plug. The 622 will pickup the network through the powercord if it is plugged into an approved surge strip or wall outlet.

See, this is the problem: That sounds great and affordable but I have my 622 plugged into a UPS so that if there are any power glitches or failures, when its time to record, it records. I can record for a full hour before my UPS goes dead. So, I need to use a direct line or wireless bridge.

Comcast speed is 4 megs +

Is your internet speed faster than 14mbps on the download side?
Actually one cant compare the 14mbs speed and the internet speed because from my understanding the speeds are in different formats. My internet speed is around 4mgs/sec according to speakeasy speed test.

This is easy to test. If I set my wireless to 11mbs I get about1.5megs/sec vs the nearly 4 with the 56mbs settings. Thats why I was asking about the speed differential.

JC

Actually one cant compare the 14mbs speed and the internet speed because from my understanding the speeds are in different formats. My internet speed is around 4mgs/sec according to speakeasy speed test.

This is easy to test. If I set my wireless to 11mbs I get about1.5megs/sec vs the nearly 4 with the 56mbs settings. Thats why I was asking about the speed differential.

JC

Speakeasy gives in megaBITS. So unless you have a 14000 download rate then I'd stick with the homeplug unless of course you have a UPS on your 622, then you're out of luck on using the homewire feature.

Have 1 622. Do you think I will be able to upgrade my 211 to a 622 since it is being discontinued and they will want to get rid of them? Officially, AT&T Dish tells me only one HD DVR. However, they told me no HD DVR from AT&T almost 18 months ago, but lo and behold I got a 622 and a 411 at the time.

This was a Tech Chat, not a programming chat.
But they mentioned the 6 new HD channels on the Tech Forum.
I think there is too much HD bandwidth being added between:
- 6 new HD channels
- New HD RSNs
- New HD channel 9/1
- Possible more HD channels 9/15
trying to match what D* has announced, to add any HD locals at this time.

masop;

You misunderstand how the Dish DVR receivers operate - they do not "compress" (the word you're really looking for here is "encode") anything. They take the MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 bitstream directly off the sat feed and record it - they do not perform any operations on that bitstream. DISH DVR's are not TiVO.

Pardon the improper word. I've done my share of encoding over the years. I however know very little about DVR's besides the obvious, so excuse my ignorance on this subject. Thanks for the reply.

-- Dan

- 6 new HD channels
- New HD RSNs
- New HD channel 9/1

Why? They have switched to better mpeg-4 encoders and get more channels on each transponder then they could with mpeg-2.

And they just did not add chanels, they INCREASED resolution on 15 VOOM channels. And from what I am seeing today, it all looks very good.

Convert it all to mpeg-4 and bring on more and more channels. I want some more premium movie channels in HD. I am paying for them, why not have HD feeds? :)

- 6 new HD channels
- New HD RSNs
- New HD channel 9/1

There is room to spare... just shows you that they added 6 new HD channels today WITHOUT the conversion of the vooms to MPEG4 yet.

At least, to me, the 722 doesn't appear to be a must have for someone like me who has had the 622 for 7 months, and still has 11 months for the current contract :)

It would appear that, if I started to fill up my programming (possible until I realize that some of the interesting sounding programming coming out this fall isn't any good), I can just pay the $40 and buy a cheap USB hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts