Tech Chat Recap

I'm glad I didn't waste my time watching it.

I always hope to hear a lot of interesting things from a Tech Chat, but they are sometimes surprisingly light on content.

At least the news on E10 continues to be good.

well, they talked about (promised) external USB storage "still in beta", native passthrough "an oversight they'll be fixing soon" and briefly mentioned satellite 129 issues, "lower powered satellite" although they didn't admit it was a major issue and said they'd look into it... i'm glad to hear of the improvements coming for the 622, lets how they can deliver these before too long.

So they're not allowed to transfer programs off of the DVR? What happens when they implement external drives then? And I really don't get the business about not being allowed to broadcast in 5.1 when the channels are coming to them in 5.1 in the first place.

When (if) they ever enable the USB port to transfer programs out to an external hard drive, then those programs will only be able to be played back on the same DVR that originally recorded them. You will not be able to transfer them to a different DVR or a PC and play them.

abricko said:
well, they talked about (promised) external USB storage "still in beta", native passthrough "an oversight they'll be fixing soon" and briefly mentioned satellite 129 issues, "lower powered satellite" although they didn't admit it was a major issue and said they'd look into it... i'm glad to hear of the improvements coming for the 622, lets how they can deliver these before too long.

I requested native for the 6000 right after it was released. So they've had this on numerous HD receivers...

When does an oversight become a conscious decision?

USB External Storage...

Let me see if I understand this...in a nutshell, E* has external USB storage working for the 942/622..."just waiting on the business and marketing people." Translation, we won't be seeing USB storage until E* can figure out a way to make money off the idea:

• Must buy an official Dish Network USB storage device. I doubt they'll take this option due to inexpensive USB storage, but who knows...especially if they can make $50-$75 per unit.
  • Must pay a monthly "USB Storage Fee" per device: $2 - $3
  • Freely available only if D* does it free and first.

riffjim4069 said:
Let me see if I understand this...in a nutshell, E* has external USB storage working for the 942/622..."just waiting on the business and marketing people." Translation, we won't be seeing USB storage until E* can figure out a way to make money off the idea:
  • Must buy an official Dish Network USB storage device. I doubt they'll take this option due to inexpensive USB storage, but who knows...especially if they can make $50-$75 per unit.
  • Must pay a monthly "USB Storage Fee" per device: $2 - $3
  • Freely available only if D* does it free and first.

and after all that, what happens when the original receiver dies - as had been know to happen with Dish products on rare occasions:eek: or they make it obsolete - as has also been known to happen:mad: - Is one stuck with a HDD full of undecodable belly-bytten lynt?

waltinvt said:
and after all that, what happens when the original receiver dies - as had been know to happen with Dish products on rare occasions:eek: or they make it obsolete - as has also been known to happen:mad: - Is one stuck with a HDD full of undecodable belly-bytten lynt?
Maybe we'll have to pay a $5 service fee each and every time we call for USB support; could be part of E*'s plans to help pay for English translators at their outsourced support facilities in India and the Philippines.:rolleyes:

One of the things I am surprised they did not mention last night was the new price to purchase a 622 (which is $499) nor did they mention the $200 rebate avabilable to folks who purchase their 622 and send back a 942 or 921.

Here are details of the $200 rebate for 942/921 owners directly from Dish Network.

· Existing MPEG-2 HD/DVR customers can PURCHASE a ViP622 DVR and receive a $200 Equipment Return Credit – Effective April 19, 2006, through August 1, 2006

o Effective April 19, 2006, we will have a purchase option available for those customers who have a model 921 or 942 receiver. They will be able to receive a $200 credit off of the $798 purchase price for a ViP622 DVR. The $798 includes standard professional installation.

To get the $200 credit, follow the same process used for DISH’n It Up:

§ Leave the 921/942 with the customer.

§ When calling to disable the 921 or 942, make sure to provide the promotional code: RET200HDSWAP and instruct the Customer Service Representative to select the correct model receiver, either 921 or 942, for replacement.

DISH Network will send an empty box to the customer detailing the return process.
When the 921/942 is received by DISH Network, the customer’s account will be credited $200.

I would love a clarification from Dish on this one. I wonder why it was not mentioned on last nights chat?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts