Tech Forum & 922 thoughts

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
Tonight's Tech Forum was pretty good. After watching the demo of the 922, I have to say I'm not sold on it.

* Viewing the DVR recordings by "cover art" is neat when you have five or six shows recorded, but what happens when you have 30 or 40 items in the list? I didn't see an option in the UI to switch to a list view, but hopefully that's there.

* Is pressing the Menu button and then scrolling with the trackpad to click on the Guide button better than just pressing the Guide button on the Remote?

* Is pressing the Menu button and then scrolling to the Recordings section and clicking better than just mashing the DVR button twice?

* Do I want my DVR to be a "platform"? I already have a few computers and a smartphone. How many more places to run apps or view RSS feeds do I need?

Someone talk me down. I want to be excited about the 922!!

* Viewing the DVR recordings by "cover art" is neat
- You should sign up for the sling guide beta and you'll how much easier it is. You can show a lot more shows when every episode of the same show is grouped as 1 icon

* Is pressing the Menu button and then scrolling with the trackpad to click on the Guide button better than just pressing the Guide button on the Remote?
- probably not but the channel vs. time spreadsheet is useless once you get used to the sling guide. I was able to find a show and record it way faster on my small iphone screen then I would have if I had gone searching through the guide on our massive TV.

* Is pressing the Menu button and then scrolling to the Recordings section and clicking better than just mashing the DVR button twice?
- probably not but we'll get used to it

* Do I want my DVR to be a "platform"? I already have a few computers and a smartphone. How many more places to run apps or view RSS feeds do I need?
- I currently have an HTPC (OTA HD, podcasts, and movies) and a 622. I'm looking foward to only having 1 "platform". You can also use the 922 to stream video to all the PCs and a smart phone.

OP, I agree.

While the 922 looks extremely cool, I'm not sure if it would be practical for me. I can navigate my 722 extremely quick with my fingertips. I also think they're making a huge mistake not having a numeric keypad on the remote...

I don't understand why they can devolop this great product but can let me watch my dvr programs from my other VIP boxes. I mean this would be a great feature! I understand that sling is very similar, but I don't want to have to spend a couple hundred dollars on a sling catcher or watch them on my laptop. I want to be able to watch my dvr programs on my basement tv in HD without interrupting my living room viewing. Just my 2 cents. :)

OP, I agree.

While the 922 looks extremely cool, I'm not sure if it would be practical for me. I can navigate my 722 extremely quick with my fingertips. I also think they're making a huge mistake not having a numeric keypad on the remote...

My thoughts exactly. It looks cool but for usability it so far gets a thumbs down for me.

Nothing like laying in bed with the UHF remote and being able to scroll through the list of recordings half awake and still be able to find the bump forward and bump back buttons to skip commercials. I don't want to mess with some pointer on the screen.

OP, I agree.

If you guys start using the sling guide beta, you'll eventually see the light.

* Viewing the DVR recordings by "cover art" is neat
- You should sign up for the sling guide beta and you'll how much easier it is. You can show a lot more shows when every episode of the same show is grouped as 1 icon
The cover art is OK, but the stuff they use for tv shows are not immediately recognizable. Seeing a DVD cover is easy; it has the title and a recognizable image. The tv shows use a shot of the whole cast, and for me, a lot of them are unrecognizable without reading the title of it underneath the icon; in which case, a straight up list would be easier...

The cover art is OK, but the stuff they use for tv shows are not immediately recognizable. Seeing a DVD cover is easy; it has the title and a recognizable image. The tv shows use a shot of the whole cast, and for me, a lot of them are unrecognizable without reading the title of it underneath the icon; in which case, a straight up list would be easier...

I agree. Who has seen the movie Idiocracy? Instead of "words" we're going to be given pictures. :) :) :)

I'm not sure where this questions fits. The 922 is going to have a web browser. i have heard that it is somehow limited though. Does anyone know if that is true? It seems to me that this would be a great feature. One could subscribe to whatever level of Dish service you wanted and then be able to also view the ever growing array of internet content. Basically, I would like to know if the browser is in fact limited and if so how? Thanks.

I'm not sure where this questions fits. The 922 is going to have a web browser. i have heard that it is somehow limited though. Does anyone know if that is true? It seems to me that this would be a great feature. One could subscribe to whatever level of Dish service you wanted and then be able to also view the ever growing array of internet content. Basically, I would like to know if the browser is in fact limited and if so how? Thanks.

I think the browser is going to be open source so 3rd party developers can create applications. If a SDK will be available to me or you is another question.

I thought I read somewhere (pretty sure it was on this board) that the 922 would work with any dish network remote. I'm curious as to the usability of another remote with the system. Will the DVR button still bring up the DVR menu, or will it be disabled? I really like the idea of the 922, and I like the remote for some of the platform capabilities, but would prefer to keep my 21.0 remote for when I'm just watching TV. Maybe that will change after I've used the remote? I guess I'll find out whenever dish releases it.

Well i will be happy to have one and try all the functions and will keep the fancy touch pad remote to hand, but it has to work with my Harmony or i will just go to the 722K instead... I wont give up the ease at which you can move around without looking at the remote, but i don't mind keeping the touchpad one to hand for other stuff like browsing etc.

If you guys start using the sling guide beta, you'll eventually see the light.

I kinda have to disagree. I find the presentation in the Sling Guide Beta to be more cumbersome. Maybe with time it will get more familiar, but I'm not sold yet.

If the current remote controls work with it, I think that solves most of the issues for us stubborn individuals.

I definitely will need some real user reviews before I jump on, but I'm leaning towards going for it with what I've seen so far. My biggest hope is that the number of timers and events will be increased from what I get with the 622.

I don't care for the Sling Guide, myself. It is a useless and redundant part of the new SlingPlayer software, as the DVR I control with it has a guide.

In the mean time, the newest SlingPlayer/SlingBox FW combo has reduced throughput and video/audio quality.

They spent so much time on the Guide part of the software, they forgot about the actual player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts