Tech installed today..no eastern arc

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nyvram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Of course when the tech comes out they're moving 100mph and I'm trying to keep up and ask the right questions.

By the time I remembered to ask (I live in Nashville) he had already mounted the DISH and said "Yeah, I got one eastern arc unit in my van but I don't install it unless I can't get a read on a west satellite"

So what am I losing by not getting the eastern arc? Anything? I don't understand all this, but I thought Claude said since I lived in Nashville I would get an eastern arc install.

Also, the DVR refuses to connect properly to my router. Light blinks green, router is set in DHCP mode (was originally in non-DHCP mode) but whenever I hit "reset connection" it thinks for like 2 minutes, then all the IP info stays blank.

Any way to reset the dvr so it tries 'fresh' again? I have no phone so I can't do phone line. Other devices connected to my router are recieving DHCP server IP info without any problem. I've also swapped out ethernet cables & restarted router. About the only thing I haven't done is turned the DVR off & on.

Any advice?

Thanks

I would contact Claude about that installer.

When my 622 was installed, the installer made sure the phone connection worked. Since you are not using a phone line he should have made sure your ethernet connection worked so you don't get billed. Also, when my installer called Dish to activate the receiver, he verified with them that the phone connection was up.

I don't think your install was completed but maybe some installers on here will disagree.

Yep I'll disagree. It's not the installers responsibility to hook up ethernet connections... on your own there.

As far as verifying the phone line, good idea to do so when they activate because the system asks the installer if the phone line is connected, if they say itit is and it isn't you'll get a nag screen that wont go away until it's connected during activation.

To answer the question "So what am I losing by not getting the eastern arc? Anything?"

The answer is you are missing NOTHING! Perhaps Classic ARTS Showcase and Pentagon channel depending on the exact set-up.

Eastern Arc uses MPEG-4 compression which allows Dish to shove more than twice the number of channels on less than half the transponders. The MPEG 4 channels have a LOWER resolution (480x480 instead of 5-something or another(I always forget)x480) than MPEG 2 though some claim the MPEG4 looks better, I don't believe them. I want a double blind test before I will believe it.

The only real difference now is look-angle and signal strength. If your new install is good and you are getting your HD channels including locals there is nothing you need. Actually Western Arc allows for Dish Latino if you are ever interested. Eastern Arc does not.

See ya
Tony

Actually Western Arc allows for Dish Latino if you are ever interested. Eastern Arc does not.

At least for the time being. I am sure that once they finish transitiong the international stations off of Echostar 3 (61.5w) and they move Echostar 8 to 77w (and get permission to broadcast) that Dish Latino will wind up on the Eastern Arc service. At least that is how my conventional thinking says it will play out

At the end of the day, EA and WA should be mirrors of each other, sans locals and RSNs, with 119k having all of the international stations and 148w being the forgotten child (with potential for Echostar 5 to move from 129w to 148w to help with the workload there or be an inorbit spare).

So like TNGTony said, there is nothing 'compelling' that you won't get on one setup now versus the other, outside of the odd PI station.

Thanks guys.

Also, the 10-second reboot on the DVR fixed the router/broadband issue as well so thanks for that advice too.

One more question; why are the channels repeated in the 9000 range as well as the 6000 (sometimes) then again in teh 100-300 range? Is there a problem with me removing the duplicates? Since I have HD-only, I've found everything I need between 1 & 400 (with palladia at channel 600something). I don't care about the 5 billion PPV channels.

To answer the question "So what am I losing by not getting the eastern arc? Anything?"

The answer is you are missing NOTHING! Perhaps Classic ARTS Showcase and Pentagon channel depending on the exact set-up.

Eastern Arc uses MPEG-4 compression which allows Dish to shove more than twice the number of channels on less than half the transponders. The MPEG 4 channels have a LOWER resolution (480x480 instead of 5-something or another(I always forget)x480) than MPEG 2 though some claim the MPEG4 looks better, I don't believe them. I want a double blind test before I will believe it.

The only real difference now is look-angle and signal strength. If your new install is good and you are getting your HD channels including locals there is nothing you need. Actually Western Arc allows for Dish Latino if you are ever interested. Eastern Arc does not.
See ya
Tony

The Eastern Arc doesn't have Latino Playboy?? Say it ain't so.:p

Thanks guys.

Also, the 10-second reboot on the DVR fixed the router/broadband issue as well so thanks for that advice too.

One more question; why are the channels repeated in the 9000 range as well as the 6000 (sometimes) then again in teh 100-300 range? Is there a problem with me removing the duplicates? Since I have HD-only, I've found everything I need between 1 & 400 (with palladia at channel 600something). I don't care about the 5 billion PPV channels.

They're not duplicate transmissions, they're just duplicate listings. You can also set your receiver to automatically record the HD version rather than the SD version, when there are both. As suggested, best to set up one or more "favorites" lists. Quicker and easier, IMHO, than deleting channels. My wife and I each have favorites lists.

PS- PPV might look better after you see the restrictions and pricing on their VOD. I rarely buy from either. But I'll probably rent a 1080p when my next ViP722 shows up, just to see how it works with my new bedroom HDTV, which is 24p capable.

Amazingly, after months of anticipation and thousands of posts about the new Dish "Eastern Arc" service, it boils down to this....

The answer is you are missing NOTHING! Perhaps Classic ARTS Showcase and Pentagon channel depending on the exact set-up.....
Furthermore, the current incarnation of the Eastern Arc is being constructed (AKA cobbled together) using older satellites with foot prints designed for other orbital locations. So IMHO the only reasons to opt for the Eastern Arc is to get better LOS and/or a single dish solution when your locals are on one of the EA Sats.

Talon Dancer

Every new thing DISH has come out with has had to go through multiple iterations before the bugs got worked out.

All you are missing by not having Easter Arc is the chance to be Ergen's guinea pig on their latest foray into some new technology.

I emailed my rep, did not get a responce yet!

As long as you getting your HD Locals from a DISH1000.2 then I see no issue with the DISH that the technician installed!

Still no excuse here for what happened! It was DISH Networks rep who did this, not one of my company installers!

there are many a reason why a tech might have put up Western arc instead of Eastern. Shortage of parts, as in 1000.4 dishes or compatible (G3) smart card receivers, LOS issues, etc. I'd rather put inb one dish than two, but have to have all compatable equipment or add hour(s) to an already packed day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts