Tech replaced everything, yet!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

spoiler1041

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Fl
His handheld unit show 60 dbs at H3 and is locked but 2 different H3's don't show switch or signal. He gave up after replacing everything including the cable.

Any ideas? His brain was stuck at, if he has a signal the H3 should work PERIOD. So how does one get 60db but still no signal?

His handheld unit show 60 dbs at H3 and is locked but 2 different H3's don't show switch or signal. He gave up after replacing everything including the cable.

Any ideas? His brain was stuck at, if he has a signal the H3 should work PERIOD. So how does one get 60db but still no signal?
First, if db's or DBM's are truly what that scale read, then that's why. On a Dish tech's Meter, there are 2 scales. The one on the right is Satellite Signal. The one on the left is line noise or dBM's.

Every 10 feet of cable adds 1 dBM. Every connector adds 1.5. At the Dish, dBM's measure about 26-30. That allows for up to 200' of cable, -1.5 for each connector. If you're seeing 60, that's WAY past the threshold. Either the cable run is way too long, the cable is not good or damaged, or water damaged or there's a component like a splitter, etc that's failing.

First, if db's or DBM's are truly what that scale read, then that's why. On a Dish tech's Meter, there are 2 scales. The one on the right is Satellite Signal. The one on the left is line noise or dBM's.

Every 10 feet of cable adds 1 dBM. Every connector adds 1.5. At the Dish, dBM's measure about 26-30. That allows for up to 200' of cable, -1.5 for each connector. If you're seeing 60, that's WAY past the threshold. Either the cable run is way too long, the cable is not good or damaged, or water damaged or there's a component like a splitter, etc that's failing.
thanks, I hope he knows how to read his meter.... but ya never know.

question: 30 at dish plus 20 from cable plus 3 for 2 connections gets ya 53. is 59-61 that much higher then 53?

thanks, I hope he knows how to read his meter.... but ya never know.

question: 30 at dish plus 20 from cable plus 3 for 2 connections gets ya 53. is 59-61 that much higher then 53?
The limit is 50. @50 dBM's, you'll see a lot of signal loss. That's why we limit cable runs to 200'. So if yours is much less than that, then there's a problem in the cabling/connections itself. Usually, the first place I'm looking is for water damage @ the Solo hub or breaks/cuts in the exposed cabling.

The limit is 50. @50 dBM's, you'll see a lot of signal loss. That's why we limit cable runs to 200'. So if yours is much less than that, then there's a problem in the cabling/connections itself. Usually, the first place I'm looking is for water damage @ the Solo hub or breaks/cuts in the exposed cabling.
Can the solo be replaced by a straight connector (leave out joeys) just to check if it's the solo?

If my H3 used the old lnb's (he installed the dph lnb) and he dumped the node and put in a hub would that be insufficient, meaning do I also need a new dish (its not red logo so 1000.4?) or does the lnb shew change etc....

Last edited:
If my H3 used the old lnb's (he installed the dph lnb) and he dumped the node and put in a hub would that be insufficient, meaning do I also need a new dish (its not red logo so 1000.4?) or does the lnb shew change etc....
I have no idea what's wrong in your case. But I do know that I have a 1000.4 with a hybrid LNB on it. The plastic yoke has been nibbled at, in order to make it fit the arm. I do not believe a change in skew was needed, but I wasn't up there on the roof seeing what happened. I do know that he adjusted the dish and made its reception much better than it was with the DPP LNB that was there before.

Can the solo be replaced by a straight connector (leave out joeys) just to check if it's the solo?
I think you can take out that hub (and Joey's), replace it with a barrel, and see if the H3 works with that trivial configuration. Are you sure he has a hybrid LNB up there?

Absolutely! Or run a straight cable from the LNB to the Hopper through a window or something as a test line

If he used a DPH LNBF, it's a 1000.2. The logo is just a logo. It doesn't signify anything. The Hopper 3 can only use a DPH LNBF and Solo Hub

What is dBM measuring? Is it not power (signal strength)? If so, how do cable or connectors ADD power?

If he used a DPH LNBF, it's a 1000.2.
Not necessarily. My tech installed a DPH LNBF on my existing 1000.4 dish. I suspect he used a nibbling tool to make it fit.

61442i6Mv9L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
What is dBM measuring? Is it not power (signal strength)? If so, how do cable or connectors ADD power?
The actual numbers are negative (.00000x is a negative exponent which becomes the constant when expressed per milivolt) so cable are making the signal weaker as reflected by a larger negative number.

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat

Not necessarily. My tech installed a DPH LNBF on my existing 1000.4 dish. I suspect he used a nibbling tool to make it fit.

61442i6Mv9L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg
More like he used his side cutters to cut the tabs off. You can do that with the older style hybrids not the slim lines, but I still think that's pretty rare. There's not a lot of 1000.4 dishes left anyway and most guys are not going to go outside of their training

H3 with solo hub but he used a dpp lnb to replace the bad dph lnb.

Dish is bringing out a new lnb.

Thanks to all for the education.
Well, that would be the problem right there. Glad to see we got that figured out and I'm sure that the new lnb will solve the problem

Reactions: charlesrshell
The actual numbers are negative (.00000x is a negative exponent which becomes the constant when expressed per milivolt) so cable are making the signal weaker as reflected by a larger negative number.
A 1-mW signal has a level of 0 dBm. Signals weaker than 1 mW have negative dBm values; signals stronger than 1 mW have positive dBm values.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts