"Technical Chats" useless - want me to "wait while they talk to engineering"

thanks - for some reason, the number of segmented recordings decreased significantly overnight and into today. I'm beginning to think that maybe this is some sort of LOS problem.
Well, go outside and and take a look. Could it be?

Reactions: xfoneguy
Well, go outside and and take a look. Could it be?
I've looked over all the wiring and connections from the dish downward.....my next step I guess would be to replace the cable from the H3 back to the wall. I don't know why I didn't think of this in the very beginning. So far there is nothing obvious. I've ran all of the diagnostics and tests available from the system itself. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks everyone.

Why don't you just lie? Call support and tell them your hopper is doing nothing. You have checked to make sure it is plugged in and even plugged a lamp into the same wall outlet to make sure the outlet has power and confirmed it does but the hopper just does nothing. They will have no choice but to send you another hopper or create a truck roll to your house.

LOS issues should show up while watching live. Have you tried forcing a download of the latest firmware? The download you got may have been corrupted somewhere. I don't know the procedure, but I believe it has been discussed on this site. (It's possible that it won't let you download because it thinks you already have the latest,)

Maybe he has morals.
He really doesn't have to lie, simply don't tell them, as an opener, that this started when U500 downloaded. That immediately sends up the red flag that it has to be a software problem and needs to go to engineering. I've seen nobody else have a similar issue when U500 downloaded so it seems not to be a software issue.

LOS issues should show up while watching live. Have you tried forcing a download of the latest firmware? The download you got may have been corrupted somewhere. I don't know the procedure, but I believe it has been discussed on this site. (It's possible that it won't let you download because it thinks you already have the latest,)
Actually, I "forced" the software that I have now - the latest version, which is U500 (that'll learn me!)..... I wish there was a way to go back, but then, as many others have noted, this could all be coincidental to new software/firmware versions.

Last edited:
He really doesn't have to lie, simply don't tell them, as an opener, that this started when U500 downloaded. That immediately sends up the red flag that it has to be a software problem and needs to go to engineering. I've seen nobody else have a similar issue when U500 downloaded so it seems not to be a software issue.
You are sooooo right..... I could kick myself for ever mentioning the whole software thing as now I'm really thinking that this has nothing (other than an unfortunate coincidence) to do with the software/firmware version.

That's a great idea - i'll look for their address right now,,,,[/
Maybe it’s related to forcing the update. My H2 is having the same problems after forcing U235

I forced the update to U500 on my H3 and didn't have the problems, ofcourse my hard drive is already 100% full...

I'm seeing a number of weird things but the biggest problem remains with my recorded programs ending up with anywhere from 6 to 15 (give or take) segments - many are 1 or 2 minutes in length. Totally unwatchable.

Theoretically, if those segments were somehow joinrd, would it be continuous or is there a 3-5 minutes of programming missing.

Could be the difference between random reboots and recording failure and restarts.

Theoretically, if those segments were somehow joinrd, would it be continuous or is there a 3-5 minutes of programming missing.

Could be the difference between random reboots and recording failure and restarts.
Many of the segments are not even a full minute (clock times beginning & end are the same) and the total is less than a full hour - or technically 1 hour and 4 minutes as I have my "padding" set for. I have tried watching a few of these and I end up with a black screen and an eventual reboot. When I have been around during this process, I have noticed that the screen goes black and sometimes does not come back for a few minutes - it appears that it is at those exact times that one segment ends and the next one begins. Like the signal is being lost. I've run all diagnostics and checked all connections from the Hopper to the dish. When this is happening, I also lose the ability to create timers - I get the message indicating I've "reached my limit" (041) even though I have fewer than 150 timers right now (limit has been 199 for some time now). But this eventually goes away too - just like the segmented recordings - it's all random. Maybe I'm off-base, but it just sounds like the box is flaky/bad.

Also - my history shows that I'm up to 29 "Internal Resets" - not sure what the time frame of that is, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts