technical install question

briansanders007

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
I'm planning on getting dish but wanted to make sure I have all the coax to each tv I need. I have most of it installed when I built the house and it's wired in a central location. It always scares the installers so I wanted to make sure I know the technical aspects of the current dish network installs.

I plan on getting a 622 and running it to two tv's and a 322 and running it to two tv's. Since each has a dual tuner I assume there needs to be two sat feeds to each box. how many coax need to be run from the switch? two or four? I saw something about a splitter device that can be ran on one line to divide them into two sat feeds. would it be better to run 4 actual lines or do these new splitting devices work well? The reason is when I backfeed a room with the dual reciever I need to use one coax and currently each room has two ran so I was hopping to run dual sat inputs on one line and use the other to backfeed the "tv2".

brian - The configuration you describe requires only one cable to each receiver location then using a DPP-compliant "separator" to split it to both sat. tuner inputs. (The 622 comes with one, not sure about the 322.) That will also require a DPP LNB at the dish or a DPP-compliant switch. If you only have the 2 receivers described you don't need/won't get an external switch. They can install a DPP Twin LNB for 110/119 sats. and a DP LNB for the other sat. (61.5 or 129 depending on your location) that will feed into the input port on the Twin. The Twin has two outputs for two separate receivers and it does all the switching.

That said - if you're planning for future expansion then it would pay to have additional cables run from the dish location to a central point (for a possible future switch) and additional cables from there to each viewing location. I'd have at least 4 cables from the dish(es) location and 2 for an OTA antenna, if you plan to add one. It's not much harder to pull additional cables at the onset, just the cost of the cable itself. But to do it again later is essentially a complete duplication of your original effort. Just make sure you use the correct cable - RG-6U rated for at least 2.5GHz for your sat. cables and RG-6 (preferably quad shield, IMHO) rated for at least 1GHz for any OTA antenna(s).

Welcome to E* and the 622 - I'm sure you will enjoy both..!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)