Technical Issue with Hopper and Joey

JTBenson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I am having an issue and would like to solve it without having a dish tech come out. Here is what happened:

1. My setup is two hoppers with two joeys each. 4 lines coming out of the switch. 2 going to separate hoppers and two going to the joeys.
2. I removed the Joey from one room and put it in another room.
3. I switched out the cable on the switch to run to the new room. It is a port that has the cable run straight from the switch to the joey.
4. When I did this, the hopper associated with this joey lost connection.
5. So I changed the wiring back to what it was originally (but did not hook the joey back up). Now the hopper is finding the satellites when I do a switch test, but is still getting an error that it has a partial signal loss. The error code is 002. The signal code is 11-11-45.
6. Also, the two hoppers are not linked anymore.

So the questions I have are:
1. How can I get the hopper to work again?
2. How can I get it to link to the other hopper?
3. How can I get the joey to work in the new location?

Any help would be good. If not, I will contact dish.

Thanks.

That will be a node, not switch. Some questions.

1) Does the hopper coax go into the Host or Client port in the node?

2) When you made the switch, did you change the wire so the hopper was on the host or client?

Hopper is on the client (I believe). It is the 3rd from the top. I never changed the wire that the hopper was on. I only changed the bottom coax that the joey was connected to which I believe was the host port.

First issue, Never do any wiring while the Hoppers are connected to the Node.

Rule one Unplug entire system of Power.

Step 2 unplug the coax from all Hoppers and Joeys at their location. NOT the Node.

Step 3 do what ever wiring required. Don't swap Hopper ports.
If you need to change locations of your hoppers/joeys, Just make sure what ever coax you are going to be using is connected to the Same(" HOST for Hopper, Client for Joey") port on the node as when setup new.

Plug one Hopper back in at a time with power and coax, Then do the Next Hopper.

Then when both Hoppers are powered up ,each Joey one at a time.

You will save yourself much trouble.

Last edited:
The attached diagram is what I think you should have had for a 2H/4J wiring setup, before you started moving things around. You might want to verify that as a starting point...or at least to give us a point of reference in troubleshooting.

HopperWiring-2H4J.PNG

That is not how it is set up. I put it back to exactly how the dish guy set it up, but they have the hoppers running to joey directly for two of the joeys. They don't split the joeys.

They are only split in his picture because it's showing you a six room setup.

You would just minus the 2 other joeys and splitters.

Do you have any TAPs?
I'm guessing no if you have 4 wires from the Node.

Rule of thumb is the hopper will always always always be on the Host port. Joeys can come off the host port in the case that it is on a tap and is on the appropriate port.

Reactions: JSheridan
Just sound like he just needs to start over.
If everything is exactly as it was when in stalled, Them he just needs to go through and unplug everything as stated in my steps.

Apologies if I confused things, when he described 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys in the first post, that's what I thought he had.
It's not confusing, The diagram is good .
Anyone whom actually knew what they were doing could figure out that picture as is.

No offense Topic Starter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)