Technical Question Old vs New Hopper- answer will probably determine when to sign up with DISH

Snoozer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
The primary reason for leaving Direct and switching to DISH is the Hopper with the Sling, so my wife can view her recorded programs at the cabin. I don't want to pay for another receiver and/or service and it looks like the Sling will do the deal. I've read as much as I can about the "old" vs "new" Hopper but would like some professional advise. Will the"new" Hopper add any benefit to transferring her programs to the cabin via Computer? (speed or quality) and if there's any other unknown advantage that I might have missed please let me know.

Thanks All

The Hopper with Sling will allow you to transfer content to an iPad and take it with you and you can use it in locations where you do not have Internet service. If you are just wanting to view your programming at the cabin, all you need is a Sling adapter to do that and a good internet connection at the cabin. There is really no benefit in going with a Hopper with Sling over a Hopper 2000 in terms of the Sling/remote viewing capability. The Hopper with Sling has the Sling built into it and the Hopper 2000 requires the external Sling Adapter. The speed/quality of the picture that she will see on the cabin PC is all dependent on your Internet connection.

If you are signing up as a new customer you might as well just go with the newest Hopper since both models are free with qualified programming.

The Hopper with Sling will allow you to transfer content to an iPad and take it with you and you can use it in locations where you do not have Internet service. If you are just wanting to view your programming at the cabin, all you need is a Sling adapter to do that and a good internet connection at the cabin. There is really no benefit in going with a Hopper with Sling over a Hopper 2000 in terms of the Sling/remote viewing capability. The Hopper with Sling has the Sling built into it and the Hopper 2000 requires the external Sling Adapter. The speed/quality of the picture that she will see on the cabin PC is all dependent on your Internet connection.

Yeah agree with Lucky86 here. Also just depends on when you sign up if you do switch I would wait and get on their latest Hopper. :)

If you are signing up as a new customer you might as well just go with the newest Hopper since both models are free with qualified programming.

Except in OP's case if he signs up now he will have price protection, but if he waits for Hopper 2.0 then he will no longer have price protection. Also we still don't know the monthly fees for Hopper 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

You do have the option of getting a stand alone Sling for your Directv box if you decide to stay.

You need a Hopper with Sling receiver and you need an iPad and you need both of them connected to the same network. From the receiver you can "prepare for mobile" when you set up a DVR timer or you can take content already on the hard drive and prepare it from the DVR menus. You can also select the DVR event you want transfered from within the iPad app and that will send the command to the receiver to prepare the content for transfer and once the event is ready, you just hit the transfer option in the iPad Hopper Transfer app.

Except in OP's case if he signs up now he will have price protection, but if he waits for Hopper 2.0 then he will no longer have price protection. Also we still don't know the monthly fees for Hopper 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

there are no changes in pricing for the new Hopper. It is treated the same as the current model.

You need a Hopper with Sling receiver and you need an iPad and you need both of them connected to the same network. From the receiver you can "prepare for mobile" when you set up a DVR timer or you can take content already on the hard drive and prepare it from the DVR menus. You can also select the DVR event you want transfered from within the iPad app and that will send the command to the receiver to prepare the content for transfer and once the event is ready, you just hit the transfer option in the iPad Hopper Transfer app.

Which dvr menu? I am lost on what you are saying. I can use the dish app and watch a program via internet on the iPad but do not know how to transfer (or transfer) so I can watch without a internet wi-fi. So want to do this.

Which dvr menu? I am lost on what you are saying. I can use the dish app and watch a program via internet on the iPad but do not know how to transfer (or transfer) so I can watch without a internet wi-fi. So want to do this.

I have a hopper with a sling adapter attached (installed by dish on 12/11/12) not a sling adapter receiver. (didn't know it existed)

There is a new app coming out that is called Hopper Transfers. This app is only compatible with the new Hopper that was announced and the name of that new Hopper is "Hopper with Sling". You are NOT able to transfer content to an iPad with the Hopper that you have now and this app isn't available yet. So in order to transfer content to an iPad as I described above, you would need to upgrade to the Hopper with Sling when it is released on 1/17, not a Hopper2000 with a Sling Adapter.

There are soooo many different types of Android tablets and along with that is the combination of different operating systems. I'm sure iPad a smart choice considering that Dish has so many Hopper users that also use iPads it makes sense why they started with the iPad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)