Technical Question

dimi1963

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2004
Union, NJ
I have 6000 receiver, and honeslty I don't want to spend $1000 for the 921. So my question is, how can I hook up a TiVo to E* receivers? Is it even possible to accomplish that? I know that TiVo is not HD but at least I can record my fav shows digitally, instead of using to good old VCR.

Thank you in advance guys

Just to be clear, you are talking about a SA (stand alone) Tivo and not a DirecTivo unit, correct?

You can hook any SD video source to a SA Tivo. DirecTivos (including the HD model) on the other hand will only record DirecTV signals (and digital OTA channels on the HDTivo).

One thing you have to be aware of in terms of 6000 and TIVO, since 6000 can not output HD and SD at same time, in order to have TIVO successfully recording the show, you have to leave the 6000 with SD output, otherwise, you will get a blank recording. 811 is the only Dish unit that output HD and SD at same time.

dimi1963 said:
I have 6000 receiver, and honeslty I don't want to spend $1000 for the 921. So my question is, how can I hook up a TiVo to E* receivers? Is it even possible to accomplish that? I know that TiVo is not HD but at least I can record my fav shows digitally, instead of using to good old VCR.

Thank you in advance guys
They do make an HD VCR. It is very expensive. I have a 6000 and would like to record HD onto a hard drive. If I could, my 921 would eat the 6000's dust. :D

K R Kimmel said:
Just to be clear, you are talking about a SA (stand alone) Tivo and not a DirecTivo unit, correct?

You can hook any SD video source to a SA Tivo. DirecTivos (including the HD model) on the other hand will only record DirecTV signals (and digital OTA channels on the HDTivo).

Yes I am talking about a SA TiVo, one thing is not clear though, if I go with teh TiVo do I need pay the TiVo service to get the full functionality or I can use the Dish programming guide to program the TiVo. Sorry to be a nudge but I need help with this. :confused:

If you don't pay the for the TiVo service, it'll be little better than a VCR. The Dish programming guide can help time recordings, but it's not the same. If you do pay for the service, the program guide will be almost as good as Dish's, and the recording of your favorite shows will be much easier. Your money, your choice. :)

Tivo only use their EPG to control the timing, that is nothing to do with the dish EPG. Therefore, in order for you to get more thantwo days of programming, you have to sign up the services with Tivo. Becasue Tivo will not do the timing recording even your 6000 has more programing info on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)