TECHNICIAN DELETED ALL MY DVRS PROGRAMS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

princesoy

Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
new york
Hello,
Well I was not getting some channel on my receivers due to an error 711 or 771 something like that.
Anyway a technician came this morning to solve the problem,he asked like 10 times if I moved my furniture maybe I did something to the cables.He then continue to reset the dvrs something I did already with no results.I asked to check the dish on the roof but he said that the signal was good that he must reset the boxes.I asked him that as long as he does not delete any of my shows it was fine,he said no problem.But then I sow that he was reformatting the dvrs and I knew everything was going to be lost,I told him he was deleting everything and he said sometimes this happens and sometimes it does not,what an idiot.I tried to stop him but it was too late,I lost shows on tv that my 3 year old son was on.I was ready to killed the guy,all he had to say was to call another guy if I was not happy with the service.
I was this close to react the wrong way so he just left without fixing the problem and deleting everything from my dvrs.
I can not replace my sons show that 's what kills me the most,now they are sending a supervisor tomorrow but the damage is already done.

I'm sorry for your negative experience. There are a lot of idiot techs out there. But, there are just as many who actually know their stuff and will bend over backwards to help you. I can say from my own experience as a tech, that the simple act of resetting the receiver should not delete any recorded shows. I did have that happen to me one time, but in this case the hard drive in the receiver had been acting up anyway. Sometimes it would not record all of a show, or freeze up when playing back a recorded event. Unless there is some secret code that you press into the remote to get it to format the hard drive, I would suspect that the receiver may be faulty. Like I said, resetting the receiver will not erase recorded programs. When it restarts it will show a message like checking hard disk or something like that, but it still should not erase anything. If that's the case, then the hard drive may be bad. As far as the signal loss issue goes, it could be any number of things from dish alignment to cabling issues to a bad receiver or anything in between. When the supervisor comes out, I'm sure he will be able to assist you. Hope everything works out ok.

Thanks for the info,I knew with resetting the dvrs no loss on my hard drive will happen,but the tech went on to reformatt the three dvrs ,when I came back it was too late.
Thanks anyway.

A word of advice, ANYTIME you have something valuable on the DVR, you should make a copy of it if you can as the DVR as a general rule is not a good place to store anything important.
Chance of a hard drive error or going bad is always a possibility, regardless of provider or rec.

This goes for any shows you may want to keep as well.

What network was your sons shows on ?
See if you can contact the source and see if they can get you a copy, many times this type of stuff is available from your local network.

Jimbo

Hello,
I tried to stop him but it was too late,I lost shows on tv that my 3 year old son was on.I.

Were the shows your son was on from a network?

If so, you may be able to contact the network, or local station, and get a videotape of it.

Worth a try....

Until I retired last year, I worked for a local TV station and one of my many jobs was to make VHS or DVD copies of news stories that people wanted. They charged for them ($30.00), but folks were happy to get them. So by all means call the station and see what they can do for you. I also agree with another poster. Never use a DVR for long-term storage of important things. Get an inexpensive DVD recorder and transfer them to a disc. It's really easy to do.

Problem Fix

Well all it had to be done was to change the cables ,there was never a need to reformatt my dvrs. One day I will find that tech on the streets and I will even things up.

I am really sorry to hear about that bad experience. I would complain to Directv about that and whatever company he worked for also. Most tech people work for other companies rather than Directv. I would let them know how PO'ed I was. Maybe Directv might give you some deal or something.

I can not replace my sons show that 's what kills me the most...
Ok I just got to know what shows can't be replaced for a 3 year old?
My 7 year old can and does watch the same cartoon over and over but I delete and record new ones just to force variety.

Ok I just got to know what shows can't be replaced for a 3 year old?
My 7 year old can and does watch the same cartoon over and over but I delete and record new ones just to force variety.
I believe the OP said that his son was ON the show, not just shows that his son watches...

I believe the OP said that his son was ON the show, not just shows that his son watches...
I misread or subconsciously edited the sentence to make sense to me as being on tv is something I always avoided; by posting bail before the cameras show up (true story). :cool:
Not to kick the OP while he's down, but in the future I would not trust a proprietary DVR for long term storage of childhood memories. Just like some people at work expect the IT Dept to fix their computer without losing all their Itunes, pictures, etc; sometimes it's just not possible. Doesn't seem to be the case here, but just wanted to throw that in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts