Telestar 14 @ 63

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am not sure what the satellite's name should be as Sea Launch calls it Telstar 14/Estrela do Sul 1 and NORAD's current TLEs call it "ESTRELA DO SUL" :confused:
So that's why TheList calls it Estrela do Sul 1.

ECHOSTAR 3 61.65°W
TDRS 9 62.14°W Inclination 1.77°
BADR-3 (ARABSAT-3A) 62.90°W Inclination 1.44°
ESTRELA DO SUL 63.02°W
STAR ONE C1 65.04°W

According to Lyngsat, only one transponder is aimed "Up north" and Loral describes the sat as
Estrela do Sul, a fixed-satellite services satellite built for Loral Skynet, offers its customers coverage throughout Latin America with connectivity into North America. The high-powered 1300 series satellite carries 36 Ku-band transponders, with two spot beams, providing a dedicated Ku-band solution for the Brazilian marketplace. Estrela do Sul launched in early 2004.
I tried too, but nada. I have a hunch that the N.A. coverage is only the S.S.E. US.

Found it in Vermont

I live in Vermont and was able to get that Sat with a good signal, about 60-70Q, mostly due to trees. Found twelve stations on it, many with just a card from SCETV

Always like to find new PBS feeds. Between time zones I can get about 3-4 hours of British Comedy on a Saturday night, and I finally found one that shows the "Red Green Show" something not available here in about a decade.

Thanks for the lead.

I am not sure what the satellite's name should be as Sea Launch calls it Telstar 14/Estrela do Sul 1 and NORAD's current TLEs call it "ESTRELA DO SUL" :confused:
So that's why TheList calls it Estrela do Sul 1.

ECHOSTAR 3 61.65°W
TDRS 9 62.14°W Inclination 1.77°
BADR-3 (ARABSAT-3A) 62.90°W Inclination 1.44°
ESTRELA DO SUL 63.02°W
STAR ONE C1 65.04°W

It is both T14 and Estrela do Sul, and always has been.

Where are you getting your NORAD TLEs???

The Norad TLE's I'm getting calls it "ESTRELA DU SOL-TELSTAR14" , and I checked back all the way to 2004, and it was the same name back then too.

I'm guessing you're getting them from the T.S.Kelso site. I'm sure that he gets them from the same place I do, ie SpaceTrack, but I think that he extracts them by catalog number without names, and adds the names himself. They have a bulk download option to do that, since it is quicker.
Years ago, back in the early 90s, he didn't publish TVRO elements, and so I emailed him to ask him to, and he agreed to, but asked me for a list of names/cat numbers, and explained how he retrieved the elements from what at that time was NASA-OIG. I gave him a list, which was full of errors, but eventually got it straightened out. I later joined the NASA-OIG, and later that was taken over by NORAD, which is kind of annoying, because they won't let people re-publish the elements unless you request permission from them. Kelso obviously has permission. I used to put TVRO elements on my web page for my tvcalc program to use, but when NORAD took over I stopped doing that.
But anyway, the point is that Kelso probably still isn't using the names used by NORAD, but instead adding his own names to the elements. I'm not sure where Kelso got his names.

That's the place :( (I guess I will have to find a new place to get the TLE's from (With the correct names....))

The Kelso is a good place. He's probably one of the best known experts on the subject. I think he used to be a professor at the air force academy, maybe he still is, I don't know. I use his DOS program whenever I want results more accurate than my own program that's full of bugs. I was just explaining that while his elements are good, he doesn't seem to be getting the names from NORAD. Not sure where they're coming from. NORAD actually seems better about the names than NASA used to be.
I get elements from Space-Track - Login , however you have to submit a request to get approved. I think it's much harder to get approved than it used to be. I got into the old NASA-OIG (orbital information group) back in the mid 90s, and even for that, I had to submit a written request, and it took about a month to get approved. Now that NORAD (or UNITED STATES STRATEGIC COMMAND ??) has taken over the process, it seems like they are more restrictive. They let the members of the OIG in without any problem, which is the only reason I'm getting the elements there.
I don't use them much anymore, just when there's something interesting, like these sats moving around, or when there are inclined sats.

JerryVT, nailpounder. You've made my day, correction YEAR, happy happy happy. I absolutely love that show! Why didn't I see it? I just moved the 1.2m off that that sat, was there for, like ever. Will be going back!
"If she doesn't find ya handsome, = = = "

I went back out last night and tweaked the dish some more and finally found this bird. Getting a Q of 60 in Northern Michigan. I'm only getting 3 chs with programing, 6 have a still screen with "ETV Satellite Services" on them, and one with a black screen.

Near (NW of) Omaha, Nebraska I can pick up one TP from 63.0°W (Telstar 14 / Estrela Du Sol):

11966 MHz Vertical
SR 11280 KS/s
FEC 3/4
AZBox signal quality 54%
I log in ten FTA channels

One channel is ETV World (which seems quite similar to PBS World on AMC 21 @ 125.0°W), but it is not a mirror channel. The other nine channels all appear to be feeds, but sometimes carry the CREATE channel and PBS Kids, etc.

63.0°W is another nice stop between AMC 9 @ 83.0°W and Hispasat @ 30.0°W (in addition to AMC 5 @ 79.0°W, Horizons 2 @ 74.0°W and AMC 6 @ 72.0°W). I am trying to work on other sats in between 83 and 30, but they are being ellusive.

RADAR

Near (NW of) Omaha, Nebraska I can pick up one TP from 63.0°W (Telstar 14 / Estrela Du Sol):

11966 MHz Vertical
SR 11280 KS/s
FEC 3/4
AZBox signal quality 54%
I log in ten FTA channels

One channel is ETV World (which seems quite similar to PBS World on AMC 21 @ 125.0°W), but it is not a mirror channel. The other nine channels all appear to be feeds, but sometimes carry the CREATE channel and PBS Kids, etc.

63.0°W is another nice stop between AMC 9 @ 83.0°W and Hispasat @ 30.0°W (in addition to AMC 5 @ 79.0°W, Horizons 2 @ 74.0°W and AMC 6 @ 72.0°W). I am trying to work on other sats in between 83 and 30, but they are being ellusive.

RADAR
Of course, this signal isn't listed in Lyngsat, so I've always been a bit nervous about discussing it, but it's been mentioned here several times, so I guess the damage has been done. I've been watching the SCETV things on T14 since the sat went up back around 2004. Initially, they were DCII, and had two transponders that used odd frequencies that the 4DTV user channels didn't tune to. I've never heard of any 4DTV users who were able to tune them, and yet apparently people were very sensitive about letting the info about it's existance going public. Being a public service, it was hard to understand the secrecy, as I can't imagine them encrypting, but I went along with the idea.
Back then, those two muxes had a whole bunch of channels, most showed up as slates, and there seemed to be many duplicates. I'm not sure how many actual individual channels they had, because I didn't have a way to tune them with TSREADER then.
But over the years, sometimes they had a full time PBS channel, other times they had it on only certain times of day, other times they didn't have any PBS channel, only the feeds to their schools. There was one feature that has always been there which is unique on KU as far as I can tell, but I won't mention that here.
I'm surprised to see you post that only the World is full time. Every time I've tuned in recently there was always a World, Create and a regular PBS channel (which has kids stuff on during the day, just like regular PBS. I generally only tune it in during the day though, so maybe they turn those things off at night???

Right now they have a mirror of the PBS-east feed on one channel, a mirror of CREATE on another channel. A while ago, they had World on channel 10, but right now, they're showing something called ETV Classic on that channel. Never noticed that before, so I guess they're still changing things.
Also right now for NASA fans, they seem to have a NASA-TV channel on one of the school feed channels, but they may turn that off after school lets out. I've seen them turn down the power on the whole transponder in the late afternoon. Ie I did a spectrum scan while it was full power, and it was as strong as the adjoining transponders, then click, and I lost it. Did a spectrum scan, and it was still there, but half power, while the adjoining transponders were still the same. So I figured that since this was mainly a service to feed video to schools, that they must just turn down the power when school isn't in session sometimes.

There are LOTS of other transponders on this sat, however. The other SCETV transponder is too weak for me to pick up most of the time, but there are other transponders that seem to be pretty strong, but a DVB blind scan doesn't pick them up, so I figure that they must be DVB-S2 or some other mode (DCII or DSS???). Haven't bothered trying to get any of them, figureing that eventually someone with better equipment will eventually find them.

EDIT: As soon as I hit send, I notice that they've taken off the NASA-TV feed, and replaced that with another program about AF bombers, and now they have a version of WORLD back on that does not mirror the AMC21 World.
So I guess they really are changing programming on the fly.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts