Temecula OTA reception Report

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cokeswigga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
Antenna: Winegard 9095 with a AP-4700 Pre-amp
Receiver: DISH 811
Weather: Winter Storm rainy and windy :(

I set up my antenna, and just eyeballed where I thought it should go.
right away I got
KABC-DT 53 Signal Strength 63 to 65 ( out of 100, I would loose it's lock below 50, and would pixelate below 60, anything above 60 was awesome)

but I couldn't get anything else.. then the storm got worse..
I lost abc,
but now I am picking up other stations
KTLA KCAL and a few others, I figured my antenna moved.
I wasn't able to "lock" the antenna in place, by the time I finished installing it because it started to rain and get really windy.

Before the weather got really bad, KABC was coming in good, with only a little pixelation and few drops, but as the weather worsened so did the pixelation and drops.
Hopefully when the weather clears up, I can raise my antenna and get a better direction on it, hopefully this will improve the signal.

Cokeswigga said:
Antenna: Winegard 9095 with a AP-4700 Pre-amp
Receiver: DISH 811
Weather: Winter Storm rainy and windy :(

I set up my antenna, and just eyeballed where I thought it should go.
right away I got
KABC-DT 53 Signal Strength 63 to 65 ( out of 100, I would loose it's lock below 50, and would pixelate below 60, anything above 60 was awesome)

but I couldn't get anything else.. then the storm got worse..
I lost abc,
but now I am picking up other stations
KTLA KCAL and a few others, I figured my antenna moved.
I wasn't able to "lock" the antenna in place, by the time I finished installing it because it started to rain and get really windy.

Before the weather got really bad, KABC was coming in good, with only a little pixelation and few drops, but as the weather worsened so did the pixelation and drops.
Hopefully when the weather clears up, I can raise my antenna and get a better direction on it, hopefully this will improve the signal.

I thought the Dish receivers measure signal stength on a scale of 125?
Rain usually helps reception. The cloud cover reflects the signal (I think).
You should probably install a rotor. It sounds like your towers are far enough apart that directionality will be rather important to you.

***UPDATE***
Once the weather cleared up I got back some of the stations. So weather did have an Adverse effect on signal. (it was the worst storm I've seen in southern california in about 15 years)

I was able to raise the mast another 8 feet or so. Now I am able to get

KABC signal strength =61
KCAL signal strength =72
KCBS signal strength =72
KTLA signal strength =78
KNBC signal strength =83

What is interesting is that I was also able to get KTTV at about 63,
but once I connected all the guy wires and tightened them I lost KTTV and all the other stations went UP to the numbers shown above, from about 61-65 for each.
KTTV was a PAIN to even get to lock in..it was very sensitive to changes in direction. Now it just sits at 49.

I think I have a few options still out there:

1.) Get a rotor - but this isn't ideal, I don't feel comfortable adding more weight to the mast on my current setup.

2.) change the antenna to a 91XG (which I have thought about doing) -or- get another winegard 9095 and stack it. I appreciate any comments on this

3.) maybe changing the pre-amp to a channel master 7777 (I currently have a winegard 4700). I've heard that this shoudn't make a differnce, but 19dB vs 29 dB gain could mean the difference from locking a signal or not.

one word -Rotator, That would eliminate a lot of the signal variance. Changing the preamp is a possibility but then you may be just amplifying an allready poor signal. I think being able to get the best direction for the weather would be ideal.

Updated temecula OTA reception report

well it turns out that I didn't need a rotor. I just didn't have it pointed the right direction. In fact I was about 30 degrees off!

Anyhow I am now able to successfully grab:

station-signalstrength
KTLA-83
KNBC-85
KCAL-86
KABC-82(this is weird it has difficulting locking but once it does its at 82)
KCET-80
KCBS-90
KTTV-81
KCOP-78

Can someone please explain to my why KABC keeps droping from a signal strength of 80 to 0-49?

plus a bunch of other channels that I will never watch.

I also tried to get san diego stations, but was only able to get KSWB and KFMB, but WB had no audio and KFMB was only coming in at 60-63

update
I just received a DISH vip622 and my OTA problems are gone!
All channels quickly tune in and the strengths are pretty good too!

Last edited:
I have a station in my market with the 811 that does the same thing. I know the signal is fine because when it locks in it's around 87% but most times it just sticks at 49% and wont jump into lock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts