temperary subscription

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rjad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
a colleague is thinking of getting dish since inlaws are coming. a few questions:
1) can you get with no contract? since inlaws' staying is only 6 months.
2) if you have to have a one-year contract, can you change program after 6 months?
eg: from "great wall package" to the AT60
or start with "great wall + AT60", and drop to only AT60 after 6 month.
3) can you reduce the number of receivers after 6 month?

1) Yes
2) Yes, you can downgrade. Most of the special offers they make only require you to have a minimum level of service to qualify. AT60 would qualify. There's probably a small fee (less then $10) to downgrade.
3) Since all receivers are leased nowadays, I'd think you can return them when you no longer want one.

Is cable not an option ?? There's no contracts involved at all and you can change things around anytime you want. Best thing yet, most cable companies are offering promotions for 3 months or sometimes longer with really good pricing. After that promotion ends, the price can be quite a bit higher of course !

3) all receivers are not leased. you can still buy them.

I doubt the local cable company has a Chinese-language package available.

(2) Some of the offers by Dish will require you to commit to 12 or 18 months to save on some fees. So I recommend you research this a little. Also, there is a small fee to downgrade, if allowed by your special offer contract, but they are always glad to upgrade without charge.

For yearly contracts renewed the month before, they will downgrade at no charge.

Depending on your requirements, you could go to Radio Shack and by a new 311 (single tuner) for about $90, or order a new 322 (dual tuner) for I think around $140. Check with the advertisers at the top of the forum and you may find both new and refurbish receivers slightly cheaper. Then open an account with Dish and buy desired package(s). And you can terminate it just about any time.

Lease, buy, minimum service obligation, month to month, yearly (some packages), it all has its advantages and disadvantages.

EDIT:

Sorry, I forgot to mention PrePaid subscription. Here's a link to one of Sadoun's pages that has some equipment packages, as well as, prepaid. I've never looked into this, so I don't know all of the options, but it may work for you.

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Satellite-systems/Dish-Network-Systems.htm

And then you could have the in-laws buy the payment cards. Just joking, that'll get you in divorce court.

Last edited:
Is that what the "great wall" reference is about ?? Well, it is an example.... :D

As for leased vs bought receivers, I'll bet the vast majority of new customers do NOT buy their equipment outright.

yeah, Great Wall is a package of Chinese channels.

I don't doubt that most new customers take the lease deal. But there are always exceptions.

Pepper said:
I doubt the local cable company has a Chinese-language package available.
Why? MIne does.
There is also a TON of Chinese language programming available with Free-to-Air systems.
But, if he really wants Dish, he can sign up to Dish with no commitment. He'll have to pay a $49.99 "activation" fee. With an 18 month commitment the fee is waived. (there might be an add'l fee for the antenna that can pick up the 118.7 satellite, though. Not sure.)

Pepper said:
I don't doubt that most new customers take the lease deal. But there are always exceptions.
If someone anticipates that they might only keep the service for (6) months or so, I suspect they'd be far more likely to opt for the "no committment" offer vs the 18-month offer.

hall said:
If someone anticipates that they might only keep the service for (6) months or so, I suspect they'd be far more likely to opt for the "no committment" offer vs the 18-month offer.

sure thing.
I see dish has a "free for all" option:

You agree to purchase, install and activate either a two-receiver DISH Network DISH 311 or dual tuner DISH Network DISH 322 satellite TV system for $199 or a one-receiver DISH Network DISH 311 satellite TV system for $149

I guess if you go this route, there won't be any long term commitment and you can cancel anytime and eat the cost of the receiver? They will provide the free dishes, lnbs, switches and installation? I've seen posts that dish ask people to climb up to the roof to take off the lnb, will that happen if you are on the "free for all"?

One reply mentioned a $49.99 "activation" fee, are there any other hidden costs if you go with "free for all"?

Another reply mentioned buying a cheaper receiver from Radio shack. It seems the receiver offered by "free for all" is indeed more expensive than other sources. Does "free for all" allow you to bring your own receiver, if you only want their free dish and installation ?

GaryPen said:
(there might be an add'l fee for the antenna that can pick up the 118.7 satellite, though. Not sure.)

It seems Great Wall requires at least Dish500+. Does anyone know if there is an extra charge for that, with "Free for all" ?

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/international/index2.shtml says

Take advantage of DISH Network's Internation Free-For-All. In addition
to the standard Free-For-All Promotion:
- The antenna necessary to receiver both International and qualifying programming.

Seems to say you will get a dish500+, but will it be free?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts