TEN Foot Channel Master Up before winter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

chapelrun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
Berryville, VA
Well my wife, neighbor and nephew all shamed me into getting my C-Band dish up before winter. I think the exact quote from my nephew was "Hey, Uncle Charlie - - - didn't you dig that hole - - - like a year ago"

Anyway, this past Tuesday I spent most of the day getting the pole set in the ground. 13 - - - 80 pound bags of concrete - - - pole is 5 foot down and 5.5 feet up - - - - and yes it is completely plumb all the way around.

Painted pole dark brown today and also the support poles.

Dish goes up this week (Tuesday or Wednesday) - - some PIX so far.

Attachments

• BrownPole.jpg
    BrownPole.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 287
  • DogDish.jpg
    DogDish.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 301
  • TallPole.jpg
    TallPole.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 296
  • BrownMount.jpg
    BrownMount.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 301
Most people also think that we are a little slow because we still use C band

satellite dishes! :eek:

I have a lot of unfinished projects too! (Are they supposed to be done?? :confused:)

I have holes and part of my moat that I dug a few years ago for wires to

"finish" up! ;)

A barn full of assorted dishes, receivers and other dewdids to keep me

entertained for years to come! :D

I am sure that your 10' will be up as planned! :)

It looks good but I would use a diff color then brown, looks like surface rust to me. Nice dog BTW.

Is there any particular reason that you chose to paint it brown over the standard black? The brown looks fine, just curious.

Looks good so far!!

Is there any particular reason that you chose to paint it brown over the standard black? The brown looks fine, just curious.

I think maybe three reasons - - - I ran out of black paint, my daughter gave me a clue how she might paint this dish next spring (and I thought dark brown would go better than black with what she has planned) and I had plenty of dark brown paint in the shed.

The mount, dish, support poles and everything had been either black or a charcoal gray before. The back of this dish is very visible from the road so the back may eventually be painted differently than the front of the dish. If I can get my painters to come up with something creative.

Great job and I like the brown color.

As most of you know my father passed away 4 weeks ago after a 2 year battle with lung cancer. He always taught me to use what you have in order to save money. His death has taught me to get projects done in order to enjoy them before it's too late. I look at his workshop now and it's just a bench and tools never to be used by him again. It makes me think about what will happen to my FTA satellite equipment. My wife would probably sell or give everything away. I better get up more dishes and enjoy the programming while I'm still here. Life goes by so very fast.

Not to change the subject, but I have a related question. Does anyone know the reason that most all mesh dishes have always been painted black or a dark grey color? I know that the older fiberglass dishes were usually white, I wonder why the mesh dishes were never painted white? Is there any technical reason?

Actually a lot of the Conifer Satellite Dishes were painted white.

White shows dirt and dust more. When the bolts holding the dish together rust, the rust will stain where the water runs off.

More importantly, black paint in the sun gets hotter than any other color, this keeps the snow and ice off of it.

Red, Green, Brown, etc all fade easily.

Black is the most fade resistant color.

IMG_20110601_152716.jpg

Black enhances the see through quality of a mesh dish and white makes it hard to see through.

Attachments

• IS805 007.JPG
    IS805 007.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 292
Black enhances the see through quality of a mesh dish and white makes it hard to see through.

Something else to consider with the color is if you live in an area that gets snow or ice then the black should heat up faster than a lighter color and help melt it.

did the dog dig the hole?
No, but he always helps. When I was cleaning out the whole to start with the concrete - he kept dropping his ball to the bottom of a 5 foot hole.His "job" is chasing a ball and he will do it as long as I throw the ball!His name is Ruffles (like the potato chip)

Great job and I like the brown color.

As most of you know my father passed away 4 weeks ago after a 2 year battle with lung cancer. He always taught me to use what you have in order to save money. His death has taught me to get projects done in order to enjoy them before it's too late. I look at his workshop now and it's just a bench and tools never to be used by him again. It makes me think about what will happen to my FTA satellite equipment. My wife would probably sell or give everything away. I better get up more dishes and enjoy the programming while I'm still here. Life goes by so very fast.

I know what you mean, Popcorn, I lost mine August 2003, and I was in his shop today, and it never fails to sadden me when I think of everything he did and taught me in that shop, and now all you hear in there is the wind whistling through the eaves... :(

Hang in there Bro, some of us have been there and we know how you feel. :)

What trees grow locally with such a brown trunk chapelrun? ;)
Nice idea to hide the dish.

My father passed away in January, my mother then followed in April. It was heart rending clearing out the house & the garage. He had built workbenches, cabinets & shelves to keep his workplace organized in that garage.
I too feel a pressing need to get some of multitude of projects done before its too late. The attitude of gratitude for what they had done for us makes them the fonder.

Green. Everything is to be green today.:rolleyes:
Job looks great and a nice doggie.
I hope you had a mixer for that many bags of mix.
Take lots of pics when you install.
Most important: Be safe when you put it up.

I hope you had a mixer for that many bags of mix.

Unfortunately, I used a wheelbarrow and hoe to mix the concrete. I bought 7 bags and mixed all those - - - saw that was not enough and went back and got 6 more bags and finished.

My dad passed away in 1989 and I still miss him greatly! My two older sisters both got to show dad their kids, that is one thing I wish I could have done - - - show him my kids. Dad was a farrier and I always wanted him to teach me his trade - - - but he would always say "Stay in School, boy". Dad was the one who put this farm together from almost nothing and I hope I do him proud as I take care of it.

In many ways we all want to be like our fathers.

Mount Up

Came home from work a bit early today and put the mount up.

It was a bit harder than I thought it would be and I still do not have it plumb all the way around - - -that part may take some time - - - I get one side right and then 90 degrees from that is off.

Dish next - - - but we are supposed to get 4 to 6 inches of snow tonight - - - - so much for getting it up before winter. :rolleyes:

Here are some PIX

Attachments

• Mount-Up.jpg
    Mount-Up.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 197
  • Mount-Closeup.jpg
    Mount-Closeup.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Mount-Back.jpg
    Mount-Back.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 195
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)