Ten Million HDTV's in U.S. homes!!! And VOOM only got 40,000 subscribers

CAblevision is bunch morons

Voom is a great product, i love it dearly, I was one of the first to sign when it transferred on to dish, and have had voom for a year till yesterday. The first rule of business is that you can't be undercapitalized , and you have to have a realistic breakeven point. One year is too short a time to pack in the towel. Echostar took 3 to 4 years to become a major contendor. They had the funds and patience to stand the test of business competion. You can't have father and son squabbling day after day , month after month, and not have the money, vision, and fortitude to stick it out.

Why bother starting voom, if you want to give up after a year. Also us at satellite guys could do a better job running the company, seeing the intelligent posts here. They didn't have the management ot run voom, they have no business savvy. I am glad voom is in the hands of professionals like dish and Ergen, he is businessman with lots of brains and mullah ($10 billion last count)

1080iBeVuMin said:
I think the point about " 9,960,000 bozos" is valid!

I walked into my local independent video rental store tonight -- first time in ages! The owner was there. Generally a very knowledgeable guy about all things video. He said "I haven't seen you in awhile!" I said, "Yeah, about 12 months! Ever heard of VOOM?" He said slowly, "Hmmm... I think so."

I told him about VOOM with all its HDTV and how great it was, and how it looked so much better than SD videos, etc. He says "Is HDTV really any noticeable difference?" Then he said that DVDs are already better than videotape, so how much better could HDTV be? I told him that I can't wait for HD-DVDs to come out. He said, HD-DVDs might be a little bit clearer, but these DVDs are just as good.

YIKES!!! :yikes This is the responsible owner of an independent video store! So, definitely the lack of knowledge of HDTV and of VOOM is clearly what VOOM was up against!! Very few people understand, appreciate, or care about HDTV apparently!

I told the video store owner I was probably the only person in all of Santa Rosa who ever heard of VOOM, much less subscribed to it. He repeated that nobody else ever came in and mentioned it. He did not know that VOOM stopped transmitting because he never knew about VOOM in the first place!

Downright depressing!!! :down
At least your in a city, how about Santa Rosa County, FL?

nnicko said:
Ten Million HDTV's in U.S. homes!!! And VOOM only got 40,000 subscribers???

I wonder how many of those 10 million even know they have an HDTV set? My neighbor just wanted a large TV. When he asked me to come over and help hook up the surround sound I started commenting on how nice his HDTV set was. He didn't even know it was an HDTV set!!! He was totally amaized when I took my VOOM box over, hooked up the OTA and showed him HDTV.

Had VOOM survived he would have subscribed when his contract with E* expired. Which also brings up another point. How many of those 10 million were locked into a contract with E* or D* and couldn't subscribe?

Wal_Mart would done better

we never heard of voom till sept of 2004, we to Sears to see it,
Sears said it did not work right,was not any good , would not show it to us,
We Got Voom when they started to run TV adds
WAL-MART would have done a lot better
we are stuck with Direct now for 1 year
Bob & Judy

justalurker said:
Actually 10 million HDTV homes worldwide, with only 4 million in the US. Go back to your source figures and read closer. :D

Last March (2004) there were 1.5 million US homes with HDTV. It was a good year for growth - for the HDTV marketplace.

JL

The "Now he loves us lol" post on page one says: "With HDTVs now in more than 10 million U.S. homes"

So who's source is right? I have no idea where that post got it's figures from. Just like I don't know where you got yours. Tell you what - go out and count them and then report back. :D

Please read post directly below mine.

Right here The "Got HD?" report that was spread around at the end of March. My emphasis below ...

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., March 28, 2005 - As of March 2005, 10 million homes around the world were watching HDTV programming on a high-definition TV set. By the end of 2005, the worldwide total of these HDTV service households is projected to reach 15.5 million, reports In-Stat ( http://www.in-stat.com ).
A recent report by In-Stat also found the following:
* There are currently 4 million HDTV households in the US, up from 1.6 million in March 2004.

GOOGLE is your friend. Mods - please fix the misleading thread title.

JL

I'll bet over half the people that own an HDTV don't even know that HD programming exists. What's the reason? A local sports bar just opened up with over 30 tvs throughout and 5 projectors. Only 5 or so are HD ready plasmas and the rest are SD only TVs, I am not sure about the projectors. Anyways everything(including the plasmas) is SD programming. They have a big sign advertising MLB package outside and they invested the money in plasmas and have no clue that they could have the games on in HD on them. What a waste! I am sure there are restaurants across the country with HD ready TVs showing only SD programming...pathetic!

I did not read every post so if this was covered sorry ;)
But I think SEARS Has to take some blame :mad: :mad:
When I spoke to sales man he said Voom UUUUU yea we sell it but its not hoked up and I can not show you and I am not shoer if we will be showing it ,there is something wrong with it . They had 5/7 PLASMAS on and no voom! :shocked :shocked :shocked
Beny

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)