Terabyte External Hard Drive

I understand that some of the essentials with the round lights are working fine. But, I'm not the only one who has reported problems.

If it wasn't so difficult I'd love us all the pop them open and compare USB interface chips.

I just paid the EHD fee after hearing in the tech chat that it would be going up. I don't need an EHD yet, but the info I this thread is giving me invaluable information. I thought the 750 GIG limit was the current max the VIPs were capable of accomodating. It's great to hear thatI can go up to 1 TB.

I think I must have missed that. The fee is going up?! $40 isn't enough for them?

Ours is a Seagate 750GB in an external case w/fan. This went online shortly after the feature became available and is working fine so far. Keep in mind that you lose about 7% of the advertised drive capacity due to formatting overhead ( 750GB = ~ 698GB). Finally, the smaller MPEG-4 files are really sweet!

--Doug

Ours is a Seagate 750GB in an external case w/fan. This went online shortly after the feature became available and is working fine so far. Keep in mind that you lose about 7% of the advertised drive capacity due to formatting overhead ( 750GB = ~ 698GB). Finally, the smaller MPEG-4 files are really sweet!

--Doug

Question for you. Your sig mentioned your setup. Just curious why you're using a 64 switch? Is it because of the robustness of legacy, or do you have another reason?

Question for you. Your sig mentioned your setup. Just curious why you're using a 64 switch? Is it because of the robustness of legacy, or do you have another reason?

Sure! I started out with just a Dish500 and 2 receivers some years ago and legacy is what was current. The Dish500 antenna is bolted directly into the brick of my chimney and is a bit hard to get to and so years later, when the 61.5 antenna was added, it was much easier for the installer to just use a legacy LNBF and swap out the cascaded switches for an SW64. The SW64 is a recent vintage unit that is mounted in the basement and gives no trouble at all.

When the Eastern Arc finally becomes a reality, it might then be time to go with some newer technology, assuming Dish offers the right terms (my 61.5 was added at no cost to me) - we'll see what shakes down then. It is my understanding that the newer technology actually is more robust in terms of signal strength, but again my legacy stuff works fine - and "if it ain't broke..."

Just FYI, my signature will be changing soon. The 622 will move to the bedroom to replace the 211 and a 722 will replace the 622 (presently in the living room). The SW64 has a spare port and the RG-6 is in place. Still no problem with the legacy equipment.

---Doug

Decided not to go with the Terabyte size. I hardly use it that much except for things we want to keep awhile. Any movies we record I burn to a DVD for the wife. We keep the DVR pretty much caught up. So anyway, just installed a Western Digital My DVR Expander USB 500G. Install went normal and it is operating good so far.

How good are the transfer rates? How long would it take, for example, to copy/transfer a one hour show to the external HDD? (non-HD content)

How good are the transfer rates? How long would it take, for example, to copy/transfer a one hour show to the external HDD? (non-HD content)

It varies but a 2 hr HD movie takes around 15 minutes. A one hr. SD program would probably take 3 minutes or so.

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)