Terk not all that bad!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

j2kirby7

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
I know, many will say Terk sucks! Terk gets a lot of bad press, but success can be had with the HDTV-S...if mounted outdoors with clear line of sight to the transmitting sites. The small (16" x 16") size pleases the neighbors too! Success may be limited by less than ideal conditions. I have true los to the transmitters which are 44.6 to 46.6 miles away according to AntennaWeb; my coax in is approx. 70' long and I am not using any amplification. I get all of the available HD channels in the Sacramento area with signal strengths of 76 to 85 in rainy, windy conditions such as today with no dropouts. The signal strengths and number of dropouts has improved dramatically since I replaced my old, dying 6000 with the new 411.:up

I've tried a few Terk antennas with 0 success. I tried the clip on outdoor antenna and I've used their indoor FM antenna (amplified). Neither would produce a better signal than simply stripping of about 6" of shielding from an RG-6 cable and sticking it in the air.

:( Hmmm...so much for trying to put a positive spin on one product that does work! Thought maybe might help at least one :confused:

Terk 44 clip on antenna on my Dish 1000 sat dish and I get the following:

Digtial ABC with 87 strength 480i
Digtial Cbs with 100 strength 1080i
Digtial Nbc with 75 strenght 480i

*All analog versions of the same including the Low powered Fox and religious station.

I get excellent locked in strength on all of my 3 stations and get excellent picture quality and satellite picture quality as well , using a diplexor and then a dishpro seperator to split my one coax into two for my dual tuner 942. I have used it for the last 3 years with no real problems except some multi - path rejection when I had my metal shed directly behind it blocking most of the signal for my ota reception. Since Hurricane Rita destroyed the shed and my Sat dish and terk 44 , I have replaced both and moved the new shed to the other side of my lot and now my strength is solid for ota viewing.

My parents use a Terk 44 on their Dish satellite dish 500 as well. They too enjoy great picture quality for all of their analog viewing. They had been watching an old antenna in their attic which gave them snowey reception , ghosts and other bad pq problems. They now enjoy the most clear picture they have ever had on their local stations.

If the terk antenna is so bad then why are there so many in use and the company is doing so well?

Terk Good and Bad

Terk is and was used back in the day to get sat dish owners locals in their city, beofre locals were availible on dish. Terk tv 44 are good up to about 25-30 miles from x-mitters. Farther than that they are junk. Many people used all the amplified coat hangers they have and work well. But out in the burbs they dont work so well. Terk also has a line of Large directional outdoor antennas. These though, are no better than what radio shack has to sell, as they are the same as what radio shack sells, because they are bith made by antennacraft corp. The terk outdoor are almost twice as much as any comporable Rat shack antenna.

Bottom line

Distance from the transmitter determines what to use.

MikeD-C05 said:
*All analog versions of the same including the Low powered Fox and religious station.
I get excellent locked in strength on all of my 3 stations and get excellent picture quality and satellite picture quality as well , using a diplexor and then a dishpro seperator to split my one coax into two for my dual tuner 942. I have used it for the last 3 years with no real problems except some multi - path rejection when I had my metal shed directly behind it blocking most of the signal for my ota reception. Since Hurricane Rita destroyed the shed and my Sat dish and terk 44 , I have replaced both and moved the new shed to the other side of my lot and now my strength is solid for ota viewing.
My parents use a Terk 44 on their Dish satellite dish 500 as well. They too enjoy great picture quality for all of their analog viewing. They had been watching an old antenna in their attic which gave them snowey reception , ghosts and other bad pq problems. They now enjoy the most clear picture they have ever had on their local stations.
I tried the 44 as well and my experience was a complete and utter failure. I talked to the Terk Tech Support and they were of no use whatsoever. My system uses 2 antennas and a VideoPath DP-34 and Terk finally told me they had never heard of it and had no idea of how to hook into that set-up, after they suggested I try a few other things 1st (yes, I had to go to roof each time to "try" their solutions.) Got rid of the 44 and got a small stadard antenna and worked great for my HDTV needs (approx 35 stations OTA here.)
MikeD-C05 said:
If the terk antenna is so bad then why are there so many in use and the company is doing so well?
:confused: Huh? Do you watch TV? Have you seen the ads for all that crap that is on TV every day? 99% of that stuff doesn't work as advertised and cannot think of anything in an infomercial that ever has or ever will, but the junk sells.
Selling is NOT a measure of how good a product is, and Terk is just another example.

dougruss said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD-C05

Because of Advertising and Ignorance. Much like Bose.

Any 25- 50 dollar Yagi will operate 300% better than any 100 dollar POS Terk product.

Last edited:
MikeD-C05 said:

I had one of those clip ons when I first started with HDTV. Its in the trash now, but fortunately I salvaged the diplexers. At least they are useful. Didnt make it a total loss. Those clip ons are subject to severe multipath issues. I laugh and shake my head everytime I see some poor schmoe with one of those things when he could get 300% better reception and twice as many channels with a cheap Yagi laying on the floor of the attic:rolleyes:

Results will vary due to different conditions / distance from broadcast towers/etc.

My point is that it works very well for all of my tv viewing needs for hd and sd televison . It works well for my parents and my friends. But it doesn't make Terk a bad antenna because it didn't work for your individual situations.

I like the ability to diplex the signal for my satellite and my ota atenna and only run one coax cable into the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)