TERK OTA DVR on sale@Menards this week

dishrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Springfield, IL
Didn't even know this existed...but I guess for $35 one-time (& an external drive) you can't beat the price, even though it's only a single tuner:

https://www.menards.com/main/electr...4940301502.htm?tid=1961446693156454800&ipos=1

It's NOT a Tivo by any means, but might be good for a cord-cutter who only watches OTA TV occasionally...the remote control is ergonomically the pits, though! :eek: AND, at least it let's you do digital scans additions, without deleting what's already in the tuner memory. :thumbup

Terk : HD TV Tuner : TUNVR1

(user guide)
https://sc.voxxintl.com/docs/common/TUNVR1/TUNVR1_IM.pdf

Didn't even know this existed...but I guess for $35 one-time (& an external drive) you can't beat the price, even though it's only a single tuner:
Amazon offers several such units (all of which feature channel displays, NTSC modulators and component outputs that the Terk lacks) for between $19.98 and $39.99. Their recommended model is $34.99 so you can beat the price and arguably get a better piece.

Amazon product ASIN B01N8YPPIR
I bought the ViewTV AT163 bundle and the tuner works just fine (the antenna, like many mud flaps, kinda sucks wind). The menus can be a little odd but as you said, you're not paying a TiVo price tag.

Reactions: Clarbear

https://www.menards.com/main/electr...4940301502.htm?tid=1961446693156454800&ipos=1

It's NOT a Tivo by any means, but might be good for a cord-cutter who only watches OTA TV occasionally...the remote control is ergonomically the pits, though! :eek: AND, at least it let's you do digital scans additions, without deleting what's already in the tuner memory.

Terk : HD TV Tuner : TUNVR1

(user guide)
https://sc.voxxintl.com/docs/common/TUNVR1/TUNVR1_IM.pdf
Would this be good for a startup until I would be able to get a TiVo?

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Would this be good for a startup until I would be able to get a TiVo?

And also if this is just as good as TiVo?

1. Not really to me. Go to Amazon and search for that device and read the reviews. Better would be something like a Channel Master Stream+ or similar device but they cost much more. Search for OTA device or similar search.

2. Not even close. TIVO is still the best for someone who relies heavily on OTA. Of course it is the most expensive when you consider the service you have to pay for. (If you don't get the service either lifetime or month by month many needed features do not work)
Things like the Tablo or Channel Master Stream+ and others would be lower cost competitors maybe, maybe not equal.

I prefer the CM DVR+, which does not require an Internet connection. It will use one is available, but will use PSIP if not.

But it’s discontinued, and the last used one I saw for sale cost more than new.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I have Mediasonic ones they are pretty good for what you need it for DVR worked well for me. Timer is in military time but and the guide runs together but you get what you pay for.

1. Not really to me. Go to Amazon and search for that device and read the reviews. Better would be something like a Channel Master Stream+ or similar device but they cost much more. Search for OTA device or similar search.

2. Not even close. TIVO is still the best for someone who relies heavily on OTA. Of course it is the most expensive when you consider the service you have to pay for. (If you don't get the service either lifetime or month by month many needed features do not work)
Things like the Tablo or Channel Master Stream+ and others would be lower cost competitors maybe, maybe not equal.
Thank you for the information.

Reactions: Tampa8
These cheap boxes are going to work like programming a VCR. If you're used to all the functionality of a DVR, forget it - the limitations will drive you crazy.

The Tivo OTA with lifetime subscription is $399 and does a great job of integrating streaming. If you're not paying a cable/satellite bill, you'll recoup that up front cost in no time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)