Terk outdoor antenna question

Terk is an old Indian word meaning over priced good looking garbage.

Their reputation is awful. Save your money and go with a good product from Channel Master or others.

I have had some good results from Terk antennas in some areas and not so good results in others. Much depends on the distance from the station you wish to receive. I live about 40 or so miles from the one off-air station available here. We get good results here, but as little as 5 miles down the road, reception is spotty. Generally, they are an inprovement over indoor or rabbit ears, but not as good as a "yagi" type antenna. They work well for many folks and get the antenna outside where it is more out of sight.

As far as being HDTV ready, you are receiving the same frequencies as the "non-HDTV" signals. Where I am the HD signals come in strong enough to not pixelize, while the analog signals are very snowy.

Hope this helps.

Trying to explain the workings of Off Air Antennas, is difficult at best... Hire a professional and have them get the system working for you the right way... Some things are just better left to the Pros... LOL Besides, if you buy an Off Air Antenna, from a Retail store, it's yours!!! The Pro will save you a lot of time and money...

I installed my own, for about $100. Works great, pride of accomplishment, yadda-yadda-yadda. But I live in a "can't miss" area.

You might well get a good antenna and rooftop install for $200-$300, assuming you don't need a rotor or anything fancy. It'll be done much faster than you could do it, and done better- these guys have meters and experience. And you'll have peace of mind and no broken bones- and someone else to complain to if all does not go well.

Yes, by and large I think getting a pro to do it is money well spent, probably less than you expected, and I second the idea. Doesn't hurt to call and estimates may be free.

And I never heard of a pro using a Terk.

Terk makes one of the best, actually the only antenna that wraps itself on top of the dish, antennas for 20 to 35 mile signal... But bear in mind, that there is NO "One fits all Antenna" ... LOL A real Pro will (or should not) not do a site survey for free, but will give you the best advice, and knows what your antenna needs will be, after the Site Survey...

Let's clarify that for most folks, the "wrap around" antenna is usually of little value. So even if (expletive deleted) makes the best one, it's still the best of a poor lot. 20-35 miles? Only if the dish just happens to point the right way.

Free site survey? No way. Estimate as to approximate costs for your area? Yeah, that's reasonable. Best end result- hire a pro.

Thanks for the replies. The Terk HDTVo is not the halo type for clarification. This on is rated "Blue" and is highly directional. Looks similar to a large "silver surfer." I'm approx 15 miles from the tower and I'm tyring to pick up a vhf channel 4 fox WDKY.

kyblue said:
Thanks for the replies. The Terk HDTVo is not the halo type for clarification. This on is rated "Blue" and is highly directional. Looks similar to a large "silver surfer." I'm approx 15 miles from the tower and I'm tyring to pick up a vhf channel 4 fox WDKY.

I'd be surprised if the HDTVo works well on channel 4. Low band channels (2-6) have noise problems. You should buy a full sized antenna for WDKY.

I have the TV44 and even though I am in the red zone, this antenna gets me all the channels with 85%+ on all channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)