Testing BUC RF Output

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ngatts

Original poster
May 18, 2010
Nairobi
Hello people,

Is there any way to test a BUC's RF output without connecting it to a dish and checking reception, say at the teleport? I know how to check the voltage and current going into the BUC but I'm stuck at finding if the BUC is producing an RF output.

Any help is highly appreciated

I'd use a spectrum analzyer or service monitor. Good luck.

Thanks Hermitman.

Ideally the spectrum analyzer is connected to an LNB pointed at the BUC output and the receive range in C-band is different from the transmit range [2225MHz separation between the two]. Unless there's something else I'm missing that I'm not aware of that you can point out.

I was thinking of sticking a piece of wire (antenna) into the input of the spectrum analyzer and fire up the BUC. The analyzer will show the transmitting frequency and db range. If you wanted to check wattage output, you'd probably need a formula specifying type of antenna, distance to transmitter, medium transmitting through, specific frequency, etc. But if you just want to know if it will output some power at a certain frequency, I'd use a simple antenna at the input jack. Good luck.

Something in the back of my mind tells me that anyone who should be using a BUC should already know how to troubleshoot it. It really suggests some intention of Capt Midnight type activities, and the likelihood or reading about someone interfering with eastern arc satellites. Sort of like when if someone comes on and asks how to change the transmit freq of a 2M ham rig to transmit down in the 118-122 MHz range, ie there are legitimate reasons for wanting to do that, but the question still makes me nervous enough to ask what the OP is trying to do.

just sounds like somebody curious...remembering the days of modifying 10 meter ham radio amplifiers to work on 11 meter cb radios..LOL. back then there was nothing wrong with a 500 watt cb radio! 10-4 good buddy through everybody's tv's and telephones.

Or it could be someone who picked up a Direcway or Hughes setup and is looking to sell it on Ebay, seeing if it works and wanting to get a higher bid. I've got a couple of them sitting in my basement now. I'd buy something listed as "Tested-guaranteed not DOA" over something listed as "Unknown condition-untested-as is-no returns".

Lunch!

Set up BUC on transmit dish. Fire it up and hold a hot dog, on a stick, about 6 inches in front of it. After about 5 minutes, you'll know if the BUC works and have a tasty lunch too! :eek: :D:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)