Testing Hopper HDD?

Rizon216

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Virginia
Had a strange issue with my HWS over the last few days. We recorded American Horror Story on 12/4 and tried to watch it last night and it was skipping and freezing - I chalked it up to signal issues as I didn't remember if we had a storm or bad weather when it recorded. Then we wanted to watch another recorded item tonight, and it skipped and froze as well. We also could not rewind live TV, as it would skip/freeze as well. To me, this would indicate a bad hard drive based on my experience with computers. We did watch a recording on Saturday from 12/6 (Friday), and that played fine.

I did a red button reset on a whim to see if it would help, and miraculously it did. All of the recordings seem fine, and the live TV buffer seems fine now as well.

I just upgraded to the HWS around the middle of November, so I don't have much experience with the HWS (I had an original Hopper prior to this). I did notice the HWS takes 4-5 seconds to switch channels, which seems longer than I remember (I seem to remember 1-2 seconds), but it may have started after the S328 update took effect. We haven't watched many DVR'd events since the S328 update took effect - mostly we've been watching live TV.

Basically I'm just wondering if there's a way to test the hard drive on the HWS or run diagnostics? The System Status screen indicates everything is okay, but I would hate to lose our recordings due to a bad hard drive in the near future. I didn't have to red button reset the original Hopper at all, and it seems odd that I would have to do it so soon after getting the HWS. This is the first red button reset I did on my HWS.

I did send a PM to DIRT prior to the red button reset (we were recording something and I didn't want to mess it up, but decided since it was likely messed up anyway to go ahead and do it), but haven't heard back yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)