Testing tomorrow

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Iceberg, thank you so much for answering my questions. I asked elsewhere in the past and really did not get a straight forward (and such an easy setup) answer to adding a Sat. to my menu. Ok well, now I'm just waiting for that knock at the door from the delivery man. I think I have enough info. to go on to get started. In the next few weeks I will take down my 31' HAM beam ant. from my tower, hoist up the dish and make sure everything is secure and start testing. I will be back then with either questions or a smile. Thank You all for helping out this Newbie.

no problem :)

With the Coolsat have you loaded channels into it? Reason I ask is instead of manually entering the satellites that are not on there, you can use a program called Channelmaster and do it on the computer. Thats what I did. I loaded my channel list (well what was loaded at the time), added the new satellites or satellites that are not in there (SBS6, AMC16 etc) and load that back into the receiver.

I can post tonight the file that all you'd have to do is load it into the receiver and you will have all KU from 58 over to 148 in order :)

put it WHERE ?

Ready to mount it up to my 36" dish and set it atop of my 35' tower.
... I'm not sure about to make this successful for the first day in it's permanent place.
...Note. I really don't want to climb up that tower more than I have too!!! LOL
Unless you have a severe line of sight problem (LOS) ...
or you are just bolting it to the side of the tower some place where you can stand on the roof to align...
...you are really looking at a daunting task! - :eek:

In the HAM world, we want our antennas high.
In the satellite world, we want our dishes where we can easily tweak them, where they are easily serviced, where they are out of the wind, and where we can sweep the snow off 'em.
(I just put in that last bit for those who know what snow is! :cool: )

"Atop my 35' tower" is not the first place I'd put a motorized dish.
It's not the 2nd place I'd put a dish.
It's not a place I'd suggest for someone I didn't like . . .
... are you getting the idea, yet? - :eureka

Iceberg, that would be great if you don't mind. I am familiar with Channel Master and use it all the time. I would save it and work with it. Please let me know where to look for it when you post it. Thanks.
Anole, this is the last thing I want to do,, trust me !!! I have my other 3 dishes on the banister where I can dust the snow off with my hand. I am 45.019 Lat. -74.709 Long. In the old CB days calling "skip"we called it "Cold, Cold, Canada". LOL.
If I want 123W, this is the only way to do it as I have an a big building right in line of sight. What can I do. What a tester does to test. I'm in my mid 40's and have acquired a fearless sense of tower climbing throughout the years. Thank goodness the top of the mast is only 5' above the peak of the roof. My only worry is that the whole thing will get torn off the house with a 100 KM wind that we often get in the Seaway Valley. The 31' beam is still up there after 10+ years so it should work.? Will look into getting a "mesh" dish if it will work and is available for 36"+. Comments on this anybody??
You are a great bunch of satellite testers willing to help. Thank You all.

found an old list I had...I added the DBS slots but no transponder info is posted

with the Coolsat loader you can load it directly into the 5000

Attachments

• KU.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 99
Thank You Iceberg. This will get me right up and working. You've been so helpful. Now if you could only send me some patience to lock in 74W to center my dish I would be all set !! LOL . Thanks again. Tracker.

Hi all, got my DG240 with my QHP031 on the 36" dish set up again in a temporary position to get things set up and get an understanding of how this works before I set it permanent on the tower. Using a CoolSat 5000 Premium to round things off. The setup is on a 10' pole tacked at the top on the eave of the porch and on the bottom it is sitting on a railroad tie. The dish is in the center of the pole nice and plumb all the way around. From there I have the coax plugged into 1 of my 2x4 DISEqC switch on port #4 (the last one left) going to the CoolSat.
I tried the "C" port on the LNB and tested my usuals that I am comfortable with and all works well there. Switched to the "L" port and can't get anything.

I know there is no stupid questions. One asks as it is not known. I will be putting in the SW-21 switch later at the dish level for the "C" &"L". For now I will leave this out until I get going on the linear side of things. I understand that 74W would be my true south being 45.019 Lat., -74.709 Long. Line of site at 5' from ground level seems to be 45w to 105w according to "dishpointer. c~~".

I'm not asking that someone holds my hand and do everything for me as this would take the fun out of it. But the frustration!! My questions are, what would be the settings for my receiver to get this going on 74W ? I added 74W as per Iceberg's instructions using the red button but get neither Q or L signals from the start. Simply a steady tone? &, Is the 22Khz tone for the switch or for the oscillation of the LNB?

I have asked the question elsewhere but when it's so easy to vets the answers come back in strange language to a newbie. I know I will get get my answers here as I did before and I thank you all in advance. Looking forward to getting this going and helping other new comers once I learn from all of you.

"I tried the "C" port on the LNB and tested my usuals that I am comfortable with and all works well there. Switched to the "L" port and can't get anything."
For Linear, you need to enter 10750 for the LO(Circ is 11250)

"From there I have the coax plugged into 1 of my 2x4 DISEqC switch on port #4 (the last one left) going to the CoolSat."
Are you sure it is a 2x4 DiSEqC switch vs. a 2x4 MultiSwitch.
The Setup in the Receiver must match your equipment exactly, or it won't work. The placement of Switches also makes a difference. Keep as simple as possible until the Switching make sense.

Always Power Down(unplug or Switch Off in back) the Receiver before connecting / disconnecting Switches!!!!
To test, Set up for Circ and point to Nimiq1 @ 91, check for Quality.
Then set up Galaxy 11 @ 91 with same Setup as Nimiq1 except for Linear(LO=10750) and connect to the "L"port on LNB. Use "The List" to find a Live TP and in the receiver select that TP in Galaxy11's TP list, Check for quality.
You may have to Tweak for best Q.

Thanks Lak7, this will surely save me from moving the dish around for the "L" side. Good idea. I still would like to know if the 22Khz is only to switch, the SW-21 switch or is it needed for the linear side of the LNB? Day off tomorrow. Nice weather in the forecast so I will be working at it. Thanks.

Add the switch last, after you get a Quality Lock on both C and L. Then you enter the switch info into the receiver.
"I still would like to know if the 22Khz is only to switch, the SW-21 switch"
22Khz tone is only to operate a 22Khz switch, On or Off, will cause the Switch to switch ports. Look on the switch itself you should see "22Khz On".
A SW-21 will probably be an option in the receiver, sometimes called a "Legacy" switch, I believe it works the same way, but I never used one. I usually use a DiSEqC Switch.
Keep switches as simple as possible until you learn how they work.

simple setp:

Receiver-----------Motor-----------Switch========LNB

Lak7. I have 3 dishes that range from 18"-24". 2 leads coming off of each going into 2 Captiveworks CW-41 switches feeding 2 receivers. This has been working like a charm but for now I am taking your advise and taking all that out and not trying to plug this 4th. dish into port #4 (last one left).Right now I testing using 1 microyal SW-21 switch feeding 1 receiver only. Baby steps. I got things working as you suggested with 91 using the Diseqc commands to switch from "C" to "L". This afternoon I will load my machine with the Channel Master file that Iceberg sent me and try to find 74W (My true south). Having fun! Thanks for the help.

I forgot to ask another question in my last reply. How do I know or where can I find out which Sat. is linear and which is circular. It would be a waste of time if I was set for the opposite when looking.. LOL.

Nimiq has a couple of Circular birds @ 82.0w and 91.0w...... and there is another @ 61.5w and there are some others as well (I think?) 72.5w, 77.0w, 105.0w, ?????????????

Well, I made some headway today and I am pleased so far but I have a long way to go. Remember your first test day?? That's where I'm at. All is new. The next hurdles are to lock onto 74W, master the receiver for so much more than what I have been using it for, learn all the "jargon" that you folks talk, not to mention figure out how to interpret Lyngsat. Seems like this list will keep me busy for the summer! LOL. Thanks for the help all. Will be back I'm sure!

Google what you don't know, ask questions when you're stuck.
My first day, sunburnt. No internet access. Stubborn I guess. :)

Where are you in the setup?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts