Testing tomorrow

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Lak7, like I mentioned before. I don't want to have this handed to me as it will take all the fun out of it. Besides, when I become a "know it all" then I will have to move on to another hobby. I'm sure you have had many like I and a lot of expensive "hobby stuff" kicking around. LOL. You know what they say, "he who dies with the most toys in the best shape wins!!". Ironic..
As for the setup, wires everywhere !!!
No, not that bad, worked out "C"/"L" switching with your advise. The challenge tomorrow will be to see if I can get 74W. I think the house next door might be in the way. This is why once I figure this out in my temp. setup, my HAM ant. will come off the tower and the dish will go up. I thought I had it today. I still don't know how to scan other than auto scan. Understanding my receiver and adding sats., motor controls and such I think will be the first thing with learning how to scan properly. I tried adding a sat as per icebeg's instructions but I can't figure out why the level as well as the signal bars don't light up but get a steady tone only. All in all having fun and it's keeping me busy on my days off. Thanks for asking.

I forgot to ask another question in my last reply. How do I know or where can I find out which Sat. is linear and which is circular. It would be a waste of time if I was set for the opposite when looking.. LOL.

The following orbital slots have circular satellites (I'm not including the DirecTV-only ones, since we can't receive from them):

61.5w
82w
91w (also has a linear sat, Galaxy 11)
110w
119w
129w (also has a linear sat, Galaxy 27)
148w

105w and 121w, the "Superdish birds", are not circular. They are linear, requiring an FSS linear LNB like other FTA FSS satellites. This is why the Superdish is larger than the pizza pan dishes.

Thanks for the info. Had another good day today. Using the Channel Master Iceberg posted along with Lak7's advise. Backtracked from 91 to find 74W. Could not get 74 but got 72 big time! Using my sat. meter I got a signal of where it was , even though the machine did not lock on it (74) and set that to my true south. Using the motor (using 1.2), I found pretty well 72-110. Now I just have to figure out how to scan properly on these sats. I can't hit anymore as that is it for my line of sight until I set it up on the tower. My girlfriend calls it 2 wasted days... What does she know,LOL!!! Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IM001855.JPG
    IM001855.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Moved my dish up to the top of the porch today in test position #2. From there I should be able to clear everything in the sky. Was expecting more but not?.
Short version. Clarke belt confirmed by channels scanned using "The list". Meaning proper sat. channels are where they should be on the sat. # . Here is where I would need some help.
What I have, 72W,79,87,89,91,95,97,101,105,107. Some missing in between ? Using USALS, 123W my dish is not pointed where DishPointer.co? indicates it should be. It's not helping me find the others either? Ex. 83,85, etc.. Even using 1.2 on my CoolSat 5000 Premium to scan long and short sweeps, I can't see those and others or any above or below these. Any ideas? Now I'm on the roof crawling out of the bedroom window. At least the snow is gone... LOL. I thought that the setup might be off but it's "hit and miss" from 72 to 107. I'm hope others have been there and can help. I looked and now need to ask. A world where one can get on the internet today and view or download whatever they wish. I try and try, to tell the "armchair warriors" that this is a hobby. Thank you all for any input. N.B., I don't always get all the channels listed. I would think that is since that I'm in Canada/Northern NY. that would be expected?

Possible you have wrong LNB settings on Sats you are missing, LO of 11250 vs 10750 for linear?
If you get AMC 6 @ 72west there should be no problem getting H2 @ 74west, unless obstructed Line Of Sight.
Northern NY is not that far north, you should have no problem with that.

LaK7, thanks again for the help. I think all settings are Ok, but surely I'm doing something wrong. Would you mind looking these over and see if there is a "red flag" in my setup? In Channel Master under LNB config I have.
Type = single sl
LNB freq1 10750
LNB freq.2 10750
switch freq. 0
power = auto

In switch config I have.
22Khz off
0/12V off
diseqc committed 1
diseqc port 1

My CoolSat 5000 settings are as follows on all linear sats.
LNB power on
LNB type single
LNB freq. 10.750
22 Khz off
Diseqc 1.0
committed 1
legacy sw off

I am only using the switch as it was part of the permanent setup but only looking for the linear sats. right now so all are set to 10750 except for the sats that schlever, voomvoom, tron and yourself have listed. Yours Truly, Stumped.

Settings look good as long as you are not using a 22Khz switch. Do you have USALS working or not? Use the Circular Sats to help allign. I would get it to USALS from 61.5 to 91 to 121. Once you have those 3 you should be tracking the belt pretty good. The reason I like using the Circular Sats is when you lock the Sat "Name" shows in the receiver setup menu. You know exactly where you are. Then switch to Linear to fine tune. Remember to have a "Live" TP selected in the setup page. I wasted alot of time "forgetting" to select a live TP.

Lak7, I really appreciate the time you and others are taking to help me. I'm not using the circular sats (even though it's hooked up to my SW-21 switch for both with my qph-031) as when I go to those sat using the channel master that Iceberg posted for me, even though I set them up as 11.250, all I get is a steady tone and the bars don't light up even when I "know" I'm there. Do a factory reset add a sat using the red button as Iceberg's instructions and I get the same thing, (in reverse, steady tone and no bars in new linear sat , 74W, my true south). This is something I will have to figure out. I know it's "do-able" as Iceberg has one and it works for him.
When I do lock on to a linear sat., I check "the list" and see that the channels are where they should be, so I know I'm ok there. Mind you, I don't get all the TP's listed for that sat.
Tomorrow I have a day off work. I will factory reset and find my circular sats as you suggested LaK7. That got me on the right track the other day. Then I will go back to Iceberg's Channel Master list, unless you have one I can try, and look up the linear sats.
Do I have USALS working ? Yes and No ! works for 72,79, 89, 91 95,97,101 and nothing else. When I didn't get 74,83,85, etc. I thought "pole not plumb, then 89 and others came in? Nothing East of 72. Line of site where I have the dish now should be no problem. 20'-30' above anything according to dishpointer.c. 74W should be my true south right? My signal meter sees it "big time" but can't lock on. lat. 45.019, long. -74.709. I ask because USALS version, 123W is pointing quite a bit shy east of where dishpointer says I should be.

"Remember to have a "Live" TP selected in the setup page. I wasted alot of time "forgetting" to select a live TP."

This is where I have to say I know nothing. I use auto scan with the Free TV option or blind scan again with the free TV option. I tried the manual scan a few times. Either way, tomorrow with a nice day in the forecast, I will come out of it with a nice suntan, LOL. Thanks again for any input. You are all great!

Blind scan will find most, if not all active TPs on a satellite. When you are aiming your dish, be sure that the transponder you are using is an active one (not all listed transponders in a box are), or you will not see any quality even if you are aimed correctly. Best way to do this is flip through the transponder list until you find one that is lit up (or check Iceberg's strong transponder sticky).

If you have a SW21 in your wiring, you need to enter that info in the receiver or remove it, I would remove it.
Which meter are you using?
H2 @ 74west is your True South and most important for a motorized system.
When you say you get 72, what channel are you watching?
A "Live" TP(transponder) on H2 @ 74west is:
Freq: 11734
Polarity: Vertical
ScanRate: 6616
In the Sat setup menu, select Horizons 2 @ 74 west(maybe called Galaxy 17) and scroll thru the TP list to find the one listed above. Recheck your USALS info and let the receiver Drive to the location. Look on the scale of the Motor, it should be at "Zero".
Whan at Zero, double check Dish and Motor angles. Use an Inclinometer if possible, the scales on the Dish can be Off by a few degrees.

LaK7, the meter I am using is a EagleStarPro 53-0405. Not an expensive piece by a long shot.
The only thing that is coming in on 72W is as follows
72.0W AMC6 (Ku)
channel 2146, Service 1
tp 12.148V 2.573
Seems to be the 12144V GBN, gospel broadcasting network
That is the only channel the blind scan will find. My banner up top reads Unknown Network.
In the TP list for 74, the only thing I have is 11.742. Now I know why I'm not picking it up ! I can't seem to find a way of changing it. I tried to add a sat. to my list as indicated by Iceberg but all I get is a steady tone and can't modify the TP frequency. This morning what I will do is as you suggested yesterday and work on the circular signals using USALS. After lunch I will go back to the linear ones and see what I come up with. I will take the switch out for now. Tonight I will have to find a way of fixing 74W in my settings somehow? Thanks all.

Use Channel Master to enter the TP info for H2 @ 74:
Polarity: Vertical

save and upload to the receiver.
You are looking for Quality Signal, the other signal just lets you knw you have power to the LNB.

Ok, now I see that I have been overlooking this TP thing all along. That is why all I was getting is a steady tone and the bars not lighting up. In Channel Master I would enter 11733 in slot LNB Freq. 1 ? Where would I indicate that it is horizontal ? put a 1 in skew h: ? Am I on the right track? Not sure where 6616 fits in? Learning a lot today. Thanks !!!

Found where to edit. I thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction and letting me figure it out by myself.

If you are not familiar with Channels Master, skip that part.
In the receiver, select "Manual Scan" Then select the Sat for 74west(Horizons 2 or Galaxy 17, whichever is listed) Look at the bottom of the Screen. There is the "Add TP" button, select the "Green" button on the remote, and enter the TP info:
Polarity: Horizontal
Save / Exit
Also, when scanning, select "Blind Scan" not "Auto"

LaK7, I'm ok with Channel Master. Just a few little things I didn't know about it. Got 74W in with ONN. Banner reads MPEG-2 Encoder. YAHOO ! I now have an idea how this whole thing works. The channel master that I got from Iceberg has to be reset as he did tell me that is was quite an old copy. So I go to the list or Lyngsat and enter the active TP in my channel master then blind scan. Silly question, Do I have to put all the free TP's for that sat. in or will blind scan find them? If I only need one, which one for any given sat do I put in? Correct me if I'm wrong. For example. I want 123W 10R. TP 11720 has 20 channels there. I set up the TP 11720. When I blind scan they should all come in. If I want all the channels in 11800 I enter that and scan them and so on.?

"Do I have to put all the free TP's for that sat. in or will blind scan find them?"
No, Blind Scan should find all active TPs on the whole Sat you are scanning.
I only suggested entering the TP Manually to confirm your Location.

"Manual Scan" will find Channels on that specific TP.
I take it USALS is working?
You do not have to have a Live TP selected for Blind Scan to work.
Try going to Galaxy 10R @ 123 and Blind Scan, should get Channels. You only have to scan once for fixed Channels. You only have to rescan when looking for feeds.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)