Testing your knoledge about a SG 9120 B motor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johann12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
NC, USA
I think I know what was causing the problem.
While I was on the internet and I was trying to find the problem without a result, it donged on me.......

But I thought, it would be a little fun to test your knowledge folks.

Now to the problem I have,... and I have to go back on the roof this evening to confirm that it is actually solved.

I bought the geosat pro 36'' dish, easy to assemble.
I also bought the SG 9120 B motor. I almost messed up on the adjustment on the motor, but Satellite Av corrected me and gave me the right information how to calculate the adjustment for the motor.
I took the works on the roof and mounted everything, no big deal . It took longer to scan the most southern satellite 83w, than to find it.

Per dishpointer my Latitude is 35.7836 and my Longitude is -81.3378.
I hooked up the motor and I done a quick setup on my S10 and I used USAL's.

I selected a channel on a satellite and the dish kept on moving..... until it stoped and displayed a message something like that '' out of limit''.
I went to a several satellites and channels and the same thing happen.
You could see that the dish was pointed way to low for that satellite.

So i switched from USAL's to diseq .
On the motor setup screen, I pushed the motor west button and the motor and dish would move east. If I push the motor east button on the motor setup screen, then the motor and dish would move west.

Let's see who can solve this one.

You said what Dishpointer said your coordinates were, but never said you entered them into the receiver.

Where'd you say you were located?
Southern hemisphere? ;)

... I have to go back on the roof this evening to confirm that it is actually solved
Oh, that's it! Never put a motor out of reach! ;)

I'd be willing to go along with Ke4est with the comment:
You said what Dishpointer said your coordinates were, but never said you entered them into the receiver.
If you didn't enter your coordinates into the receiver, your lat and long would default to 0° E and 0° N OR... If you did enter the coordinates, you may have forgotten to toggle the longitude from E to W. Either one of these scenarios would produce the "OUT OF LIMIT" error message and the motor seeming to keep running past the satellites position.

Another possibility is that you used the wrong set of motor mounts (which would give you an incorrect lattitude scale) for your site's latitude. If you used the lower set, that would give you the appearance of the dish aiming too low on the horizon, which could be so if you are in NC at lat 35.78°. But this would not give the "OUT OF LIMIT" error.

RADAR

Last edited:
Where'd you say you were located?
Southern hemisphere? ;)

Oh, that's it! Never put a motor out of reach! ;)
I have easy access to the roof. I have steps going to the attic which leads to the flat-roof where my dish is located.
I am surrounded with very tall trees and placing dishes is always a challenge.

I wish that I would have a place on the ground where I could place more dishes.
Thank you for the advice.

I got it going the right way now and it is scanning right now.
Took me 1 minute to fix it.

Agree with Ke4est and AcWxRadar - If the screen displays out of range in USALS mode, the Satellite Position or the Site Longitude has been entered incorrectly.

USALS set-up has nothing to do with the DiSEqC 1.2 button operation. In DiSEqC 1.2, one button drives to the right and the other button drives to the left. There is really no East or West button.

Some of you folks hit it right on the nail.
Respect...
Yes I entered latitude and longitude.
But I entered my latitude in the longitude space in the receiver and vice versa......ooooops.

Just wanted to point this out.

Thank you folks.

USALS set-up has nothing to do with the DiSEqC 1.2 button operation. In DiSEqC 1.2, one button drives to the right and the other button drives to the left. There is really no East or West button.
Man, now I have to re-think this again.
I have my bud setup to move the same direction the arrows go.
After a few beers my dishes will be going in all kinds of directions.

I may end up so confused that it may confuse me.:)

Get it all set-up right then celebrate with beer. ;)

Yep you may end-up watching the patient channel a lot...:D

Sometimes I get in a rush when I am loading a new image file / firmware or what-not. I have to reload all my channel lists and such for either the Coolsat 5K or the AZBox Premium and reset all the parameters which don't get saved to any back-up files. The one that often catches me is ensuring that I change the site longitude from E to W hemisphere. The default is usually East and that seems to always hang me up. I think it is because I get used to just writing down the numeric digits all the time and just take for granted that I mean West. So, when I enter the numeric digits in the receiver, I expect the receiver to know what the heck I mean!

RADAR

Sometimes I get in a rush when I am loading a new image file / firmware or what-not. I have to reload all my channel lists and such for either the Coolsat 5K or the AZBox Premium and reset all the parameters which don't get saved to any back-up files. The one that often catches me is ensuring that I change the site longitude from E to W hemisphere. The default is usually East and that seems to always hang me up. I think it is because I get used to just writing down the numeric digits all the time and just take for granted that I mean West. So, when I enter the numeric digits in the receiver, I expect the receiver to know what the heck I mean!

RADAR

I changed the E to W and still entered the wrong numbers.
I guess I had a blond moment.

I told you man work then beer...:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)