Tethering with AT&T

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
Has anyone had any luck tethering their AT&T service with their laptop? I have a RAZR v3xx. I know its against the T&C. I am not looking for a permanent connection, just something I can use in a pinch. Is this possible?

ATT told me about 6 months ago that tethering was possible with some phones and not others, and that the razr was one you could not tether with. But I know in the past I was able to, but I cannot get it to work now. Does anyone know a way to do it?

you need motorola's software to tether I believe.. windows mobile phones are easier to work with.. any others you'll need the companies software to make it work.. unless it's by bluetooth, though that's slow as crap..

I tethered a Samsung Sync that had 3G and it worked great, although I thought it was going to explode because it got red hot when I was tethering it.

Here's a question for the tethering experts.

Does the slower CPU in a cell phone / PDA phone restrict the internet speed, vs using a basic cell phone internet adapter plugged into the USB port?

I've done some tests here and would like some other's opinions on this.

I have a Dell laptop with built in Verizon EVDO Rev A card as well as have tested my XV6800 with Rev A EVDO through tethering.

Here's a question for the tethering experts.

Does the slower CPU in a cell phone / PDA phone restrict the internet speed, vs using a basic cell phone internet adapter plugged into the USB port?

I've done some tests here and would like some other's opinions on this.

I have a Dell laptop with built in Verizon EVDO Rev A card as well as have tested my XV6800 with Rev A EVDO through tethering.

I would have to say that depends on the phone. However, I get the same speeds tethering my HTC Touch Pro as my friends do who use a dedicated 3G modem card.

I've been tethering phones both with and without data plans since 2004 on both AT&T and T-Mobile. With a good phone there isn't a speed difference compared to an equal dedicated adapter, it does not take any notable amount of processor power to just shuffle data. For reference, your home router is probably a 100-200MHz processor with 8-64MB of RAM depending on the model.

Both my LG CU500 (HSDPA 1.8) and SE K850i (HSUPA 7.2) have delivered real-world performance of about 75% of what their respective technologies are capable of over both Bluetooth and USB, which matches the experience I've had with USB devices and internal cards.

Both my LG CU500 (HSDPA 1.8) and SE K850i (HSUPA 7.2) have delivered real-world performance of about 75% of what their respective technologies are capable of over both Bluetooth and USB, which matches the experience I've had with USB devices and internal cards.

My CU500 would get pretty warm, though when tethering. I think that was the first AT&T 3g phone I owned. That was about 6 phones ago. :D I've owned the Blackjack, then Blackjack II, the Motorola Q, the HTC Tilt and the Touch Pro since then.

When I had a Blackjack I tethered it all the time. Just had to have the latest version of WM and load Activesync on the PC that you were using it on. If the Activesync wasn't loaded the computer wouldn't recognize the phone being connected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts