Thank you Dish!!

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
Now this was a very pleasant surprise.Got a card in the mail from Dish today.

We're so happy to have you as a part of the Dish family,and it is our goal to continue to provide the best entertainment options,award-winning technology and industry-leading customer service.As a thank you for being a long-term customer,you have been been receiving credits for the last 24 months for a legacy dvr on your account.These credits were set to expire in August,but to show our appreciation for your continued business,we are extending the credits for another 24 months!

Thanks for being a loyal Dish customer!

I suppose the change over to mpeg4 may be a longer wait.Long live the 501!!

Last edited:
We're blaming Teehar for the mpeg2 hog of bandwidth on WA keeping us from getting full-time RSNs ;)

hell the 722's are basically legacy equipment as long as they have been out - no reason why all of those and other VIP's shouldn't get the same thing lol.

It is cheaper for them to offer this deal to customers than to lose a longterm customer. Being proactive with keeping the longterm subscribers is important.

hell the 722's are basically legacy equipment as long as they have been out - no reason why all of those and other VIP's shouldn't get the same thing lol.

nah,they are 3rd gen dvrs.They are mpeg 4 and HD,big difference.The reason for the ongoing credits,is because Dish rolled the true legacy dvrs (501,508,510) into the same fee structure as the newer hd dvrs.In all honesty being a single tuner sd receiver that only works on the western arc,shouldn't cost as much as a 612/622/722 receiver.

ehh whats a legacy dvr??

The earlier 5xx DVRs were grandfathered as having no DVR fees. Charlie used this as a selling point, then later decided to start charging for future models. I had a 508 - darn good, rock solid. I later got a 721- more features, loved the preview box, but the HDD & PS were unreliable.

So they're being kind to the remaining 5xx users, both of them, and not charging them. Out of Pity, I'm sure! ;)

I might have been mistaken by saying 3rd gen dvrs.Think the VIP line would actually be 4th gen.

1st gen DishPlayer 71/7200
2nd gen 501 508 510 pvr
3rd gen 921 721 625 512 dvr
4th gen vip series
5th gen 922
6th gen hopper

Also got the extension -- used to own a 508 but it is not "on my account", now have an owned HWS. ~12 years of no DVR fee ain't bad, thanks Dish!

Also got the extension -- used to own a 508 but it is not "on my account", now have an owned HWS. ~12 years of no DVR fee ain't bad, thanks Dish!

Same for me. I removed the 508 and replaced it with a 211 a month ago, but I haven't ever asked for any discounts from Dish, so I will take this as long as they offer it to me. Been a customer for 15yrs and payed for and owned all my equipment, so this is nice.

I got one of these yesterday too; thought at first it was going to tell me my 2 year FREE DVR service was over - VERY nice surprise to see they're extending it ANOTHER 2 years!
Sure as hell beats having to call D* & have to ask to have their B.S. (lack of) HD fee waived like I used to!

What I thought was interesting, is that I had just started a 2 year contract in May, due to moving AND upgrading my 3 HD VIP DVR's to 2 Ho's/2 Jo's, plus they provided me an OWNED 211k - ALL for FREE! (I did buy my own 3rd Ho) So obviously (in practicality) they have me for 2 years anyway. I also got ALL the Ho's/WHD fees BEFORE the 5/21 price increases as well.

So they're being kind to the remaining 5xx users, both of them, and not charging them.

I haven't had ANY 5xx DVR's on my account for well over a year, actually... :D

I received this postcard, too. I had DVR 25 and DVR 26 as credit on my August and September bills, but the credit is gone from my October bill. Anyone else lose it or is this an individual billing mistake?

I wouldn't put anything into the promo to mean that they won't start changing over before the end of the 2 yrs. There is not telling when they will start switching over. It may be a year or it may be 3. But a promo just won't indicate how long before it happens. They dropped promo's before what the cards state before. It's just that they had all of the promo materials printed up and they will use them until the run out.

How can you say Thank you for not charging you for another 2 years when they shouldn't be charging you in the first place.

Not to try to turn this into another one of my negative Dish posts, but as a retailer I sold thousands of these DVR's to customers specifically because there was not a DVR fee associated with them. There was NEVER susposed to be a DVR fee on the model 501 and 508 receivers.

What would everyone be saying if they bought a Tivo, paid for the lifetime subscription and several years later Tivo sent you a letter telling you they are giving you another 2 years on your lifetime subscription?

For Dish to send you a letter like this is crazy.

If Dish was smart, they would try to give you an incentive to upgrade. How about offering to waive the DVR fee for the next 2 years if you upgraded to the Hopper? (Maybe this is already happening with some people??)

Lets face it, the hard drives are eventually going to fail on these receivers, customers are going to switch providers, and customers are going to upgrade to better DVR fee based receivers. Why even hold this over customers heads and say that they will eventually have to pay a DVR fee on a receiver that shouldn't have a DVR fee to begin with.

I just threw away (2) Model 5000's today. Broke my heart to have to do it because it was an awesome receiver for its time with the off air tuner, but I can't even get it to boot up because I don't have a virgin smart card to get past the wrong card inserted screen.

Point is that given enough time, the receiver will become obselete on its own, as in the case with my model 5000.

The no fee DVR was the best thing Dish ever came up with. Too bad customers where too ignorant of this and decided they would rather get the DVR for free and pay a monthly fee forever

Last edited:
The earlier 5xx DVRs were grandfathered as having no DVR fees. Charlie used this as a selling point, then later decided to start charging for future models. I had a 508 - darn good, rock solid. I later got a 721- more features, loved the preview box, but the HDD & PS were unreliable.

So they're being kind to the remaining 5xx users, both of them, and not charging them. Out of Pity, I'm sure! ;)
maybe they should just offer them a VIP 211 and wave the external hard drive fee..Then they can enjoy a 1 TB hardrive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)