Thank You letters to VOOM and Charles Dolan

VOOM , Va VA VOOM!!

It's why I bought two HDTV's no other reason, I bought after seeming the demo loop. Had Voom from day two. Things will never be the same. It had everything but the subscribers.

The lesson was and is insufficent marketing, or poor marketing or, whatever it needed mure marketinf. What's his name and HDnet did lead the way and did my local University channel and PBS. But none could pull it off without better marketing. This may well be the true end of HD as we know it. I hope not.

WE NEED VOOM BACK to save HDTV!!! GripperDon :(

Voomster said:
FYI: messages are being forwarded to Mr. Dolan in plain text format. Sorry, smilies won't make it... ;)

Dear Mr. Dolan,

Thank you for putting all the effort you and your team have into making Voom successful. I consider Voom a success even though it is ending service because it has reawakened my hopes, and the hopes of tens-of-thousands for the future of HD television. It is unfortunate for all of us that a few short-sighted profit-jockeys can ruin such a great service. The offerings from Voom were years ahead of any of the competitors and are likely to remain so for quite some time despite the termination of the service!

Myself and the two friends I talked into Voom (an easy prospect once they saw my home "demo") are already dreading the switch to another service and all the hassle and confusion it will undoubtedly bring. We will, however, enjoy the last few days of the Voom service and it's massive HD offerings.

And if there is any way that the Voom exclusives will be picked up by the other providers please do everything to make this possible. More HD is never a bad thing and I was just getting re-addicted to soccer thanks to WorldSport and La Liga.

Thank you again for everyhing!

P.S. Tell those shortsighted Cablevision idiots that they made a big mistake!

I would like to convey my thanks to you Mr. Charles Dolan for giving us a glimpse of the future of HDTV. Like Tucker and Delorean you were perhaps ahead of your time. I only hope that somehow the VOOM 21 will get picked up by another satellite service or cable company.

Many thanks,

Don Dickerson
Huntington Beach, CA

Thank You Mr Dolan

Thank You Mr Dolan from the bottom of my heart. Voom has brought to me some of the most enticing moments of my life. If is very rare for me to love something non human as my love for voom. Voom gave us a glimpse into the pristine beauty of HD, and what it could portent in all its greatness.

I bought a $5000 Mitsubishi diamond rptv just so i could watch voom . Then i added a $1500 Sony ES 5000 receiver, just to experience voom's surround sound 5.1. I can't believe that the manufacturers of high end stereo and audio didn't realize how important voom was to their bottom lines sales. Voom is a serious setback to HD. If only the Cablevision board would have realized that their place in history was more than just profits. If only they and Jim had realized what a place history had given them and that their decisions could impact the future of hd so much. Mr dolan you should never have let them sell the satellite to Echostar. In my opinion that was the death of voom right there. I also work with my dad in the dry cleaning business, and sometimes he may differ with me, however i always support his major decisions, as he is rite most of the time. If you win in chess against your father you are grown up, if you let him win , you are mature. James should have respected your decision and gone with you. You are after all his father.

Please don't forgive him for what he did to you, Voom and us. He betrayed all of us. I would never do that to my father. For money? He has hurt us all a lot.

Mr Dolan please continue the fight, if you start a new HD service , me and the other voomers will sign rite away , i know it. We are always there for you. thank you and may you start a new HD venture. I believe you will. God has truly blessed you with vision and foresight.

I would like to thank you for Voom. My customers love it. I get more and more calls everyday from people that want to sign up. It is a shame to see it go. I think cablevision is giving up to early. If you got a dream you need to stand behind it. Sell it to the subscribers if it will keep it running. The only reason it has not done as well as it should have is because not enough people know it is out there but word of mouth from happy customers is getting it known. I do believe that with a little more time Voom could have become the new model for Satellite TV.

Mr. Dolan, We asked and pleaded for you to save Voom. You gave it a gallant effort but it appears we have lost a good friend. We still have your Voom to compare the other DBS and cable operators to until the end of the month. Guess what? You are light years ahead of the competition! It has been a blast! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your efforts. Dennis in Indy :)

Dear Mr. Dolan,

I would like to take this opportunity to Thank You for showing us what HDTV can look like... I would not have purchased an HDTV when I did if it wasn't for VOOM as no other provider offers enough quality HD. I always recieved excellent service from VOOM and even purchased stock in Cablevision.

I am extreamly saddened by the termination of VOOM and hope that someone will pick up the satalite & content to make it available to us all that value the VOOM concept. Its too bad that immediate corporate profits have prevailed over long term growth & profit therefore eliminateing the pioneer spirt that leads to progress & inovation... regardless of that, I still appreciate the entertainment pleasure I recieved from my VOOM experience and look forward to some other entrepenuer to pick up the torch.

Best wishes,
Bob G.
Boca Raton, Florida

Dear Mr. Dolan,
I can't say enough than what has already been said on most of the posts. My wife and I love the service and the equipment which was delivered to my house 3 weeks ago. I'm so sorry that the company must moov on. I can't even compare Voom's definition to the competition. The service even looks awesome on my SDTV's. If I could help the company with a cash donation, I would since I believe in your company, and I want to keep my service. I even have my neighbors considering switching to Voom. They can't believe the resolution on my Samsung HDTV. May God Bless you in all your endeavors! I can really see your vision into the future as you did with HBO. Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Chris Marentes
Murphy, TX.

Dear Mr. Dolan,

In these final days, every time I watch VoOm, it’s so bittersweet. First, marveling at the beauty and courage of your vision as reflected on my TV, and then reflecting on the bleak alternatives that will be left in just a few short days.

A poem I learned in the ancient days of my youth keeps coming into my mind. It made a significant impact on me then, and seems appropriate in light of VoOm’s imminent demise. Unfortunately, I’ve long since forgotten the author, so I can’t give credit where credit is due, but it starts like this:

“On the sands of Hesitation Beach, lie the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of victory, sat down to rest, and resting, died;
And lo, amongst all the bones, not one backbone was to be found.”

Yours was the only backbone that would have been found on that beach, and I’m still hoping that the only reason it was not amongst the bones found is because you and your vision are already off in hot pursuit of victory on another day.

Thank you again for all your valiant efforts. I am one of those who is going down with the ship…and should you launch that beautiful vessel again, I’ll be among the first to sign back on. Good Luck and God Bless!

Vicki Husted
Rocklin, CA

Dear Mr. Dolan

Please follow your instincts!! There is a current demand for voom as well as a geometrical increase in the very near furture. Christmas is coming and the #1 large electonic item to be sold will be HD TV. There are no other HD providers worth mentioning that are or will be capable of supplying this huge demand for HD programing. With your knowledge and vision please continue the fight. I'm sure every voom subscriber will stand by you! This great vision of yours is far too wonderful to see fade into history!!!!! Please, Please bring voom back!!!!!!!!!!!

Your loyal supporter
K. Buchman

Well I guess I'll throw out my 2 cents on voom.

I am very disappointed that voom is going dark on april 30th.

I have lived in sd,ca,or,id, and now reside in northern Arizona, I have had many different cable companies, d* and e*, yet I found voom to be hands down the best service I ever had thus far. At first I was disappointed with voom, it took 2 months for the installer to get here to hook me up, and like most of the voom noobs I thought the voom movie channels would show more resent movies, however that was my own fault for not researching much.

Anytime I had a problem or a question about my account, I always got excellent help with vooms csr's, they spoke clear English and had any problem or question fixed or answered with in minutes.

Voom has the best programming, the best pq, and the best csr's.
its very sad to see a company whom I finally feel like I am getting my moneys worth, and completely satisfied with its service go under.

I wish there was more us voomers could do to help save voom, pay extra on the bill, agree to drop some of the unpopular hd channels, add some commercials on the others, something anything, but it looks like its to late.

It sickens me to think I have to call e* or d* in the next few days and sign up, after having voom I now know what a good sat service is, neither of the 2 will ever touch the golden ground voom created.

On that note, I would like to extend a huge thank you to Mr.dolan.

My family and I will really miss Voom. It is the best service available, we are very happy we subscribed, and appreciate the efforts to keep it alive.

Have had E*, and D*, and there is no comparison, but too few saw that. I will look for the outlet that picks up the quality programming.. and just hope we can find a way to get back at least some of what we are losing.

Thanks for a great but short run.

Dear Mr. Dolan,

I don't have much time watch TV and as a whole don't like much of the programming currently avalilable on most systems. That being said, when I do watch TV, I like it to be something inspiring and entertaining and above all in HD. A couple of nights ago, I watched a French comedy on World Cinema followed by a show on Rush TV about a rock climber in Yosemite. My wife and I laughed and were thrilled by the shows and the beauty of the picture...this is what TV should be. The only improvement would have been to have PBS HD as well as I am in an area where no OTA HD is available.

I bought my TV solely to watch Voom HD and will miss your programming greatly. At this point we will do without any broadcast TV since nothing can match Voom. Thank you for the many evenings of enjoyment.

I have enjoyed VOOM this past year. It's like looking at the future (probably 10 years from now) and hope that VOOM 21 can find a home somewhere in cable or satellite.

Dear Mr. Dolan,

On behalf of many Voom customers, CVC customers and shareholders, I'd like to thank you. When it came time to put your money where your mouth was, you personally voted to shut Voom down. Thank you for years of taking my CATV dollars as well as shareholder profits/dividends, and throwing them down a service you made a sinkhole. Thank you for rattling your saber and proclaiming you've come to the rescue of Voom employess and customers who liked this service. Thank you for promising CVC that you'd pick up the tab of running Voom, out of your personal funds, if the BoD granted you an extension to buy. Thank you for voting for the shutdown before you'd be liable for incurring those Voom operational charges. Your total lack of moxie, gusto, whatever adjective one would use to describe you prior to this is astounding. You could have told the truth. You could I have said I don't have dime 1 of funding. You could have said the cost of pointing dishes at AM-6 was too expensive. You could have never promised to cover shortfalls with your own cash. Of course, you didn't.

Now, Voom is dead. The lights are on until the utility company turns off the juice; but the building is empty. I think another CEO could have made this work. However, you were in the unenviable position of trying to push a service, while protecting your core business. You refused to add RSNs YOU OWNED, in either HD or SD. You even refused to put certain Voom services on your CATV system to at least show a fake positive cashflow (see ESPN and MNF). Just about every move you made set Voom up to fail. The rushed launch, buggy STBs, lack of SD favorites are but a part of a flawed plan. Voom's real asset, besides its HDTV programming, was a staff of dedicated people who you also screwed in the end. I don't lament the loss of Voom TV, as much as I hate to see people lose jobs.

You've been credited for far too long. HBO may have been your idea, but Time Inc. made it happen. Stringing CATV on Long Island 30 years ago was genius, but hardly a tough sell as people naturally dislike antennas. Outside of Optimum Online and your core CATV services, what have you achieved? As an Islander fan I beg you to please continue letting Jimmy do his fine job of running MSG.

I guess I ranted enough. Lord knows, by the micron of a chance you'll read this, you'll laugh. At the end of the day, you're still rich and in charge. I'll still look like the idiot for typing this. But hey, spouting off is cathartic, and my payment to Voom forces me to speak my mind. Enjoy my money for now. I'm itching to get FiOS in my area. It'll rock to be done with any Dolan operation (outside bundled channels), and really stick it to you.

Voom was television worth watching.

Before Voom I had been a Dish subscriber for over 7 years, mostly by force of habit and I had all but stopped watching TV. Voom 21 changed this, alas for too short of a time.

Thank you for the best (by far) programming and a great service.

DevOne said:
Why was my letter deleted?
This thread is for thank you letters.
For blame posts you will have to start your own thread. ;)

To Mr. Dolan and his organization:

I want to thank you for showing the industry what high quality digital and HDTV should be. I enjoyed my brief period with VOOM and am going through withdrawal after learning it was being pulled off the air. I believe you were ahead of your time, in that most of America probably didn't have the technical know-how to appreciate the product. I find this especially true as I search for an inadequate, albeit a necessary surrogate for my recently cultivated craving for HDTV (thanks to you, VOOM).

In searching for a replacement, I am disappointed in the type of equipment available. For both D* and E*, you have to have an HD set to get component outputs on almost all compatible receivers! That's unbelievable! I know S-Video is better than composite, but most people are receiving "digital" content using RF or composite connections. All VOOM boxes have component outputs, Need I say more about being "ahead of the curve". I know we are generally talking about HD here, but most households have more than one TV and those sets need something better than RF and composite video!

All other carriers pale by comparison. I wish the spineless Cablevision corporation could have waited for this market to develop. Within 1 - 2 years, VOOM would have ruled the airways.

I wish this was a bad dream and I am truly sorry that all the people that poured their heart in this venture will be displaced. I wish I could do something to help.

Good luck and thanks again!

Loyal supporter of VOOM til the end!

Jerome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts