Thank You, Thank You, Thank You

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

UBlink

Original poster
May 3, 2004
This is post number one, but as the title says, thanks a lot. I was supposed to have my new sat system installed yesterday, but fortunately I discovered this site on Monday. My home theater installer was ready to set me up with a 942 system and I would have been SOL. Fortunately I called him and said, hey, what about this new 622 box. Couple of hours later he says we'll cancel the 924 and wait for a 622 on order.
Right now I'm on Comcast and not 100% happy with the HD PQ. I can access local broadcast HD 3 ways - OTA, STB, and internal digital cable tuner. TNT I get either from the STB or digital tuner. So far I can't perceive a significant difference on HD content from any of the sources on my 40" Samsung LCD. After reading here, I figure the problem is the quality of the signal from the broadcaster - for example, TNT is all over the map from excellent to borderline ugly. If it was in the cable box, I'd see a difference with the direct digital cable. The installer was telling me E* (I'm just learning the acronyms and code words so if I screw something up forgive me) had far superior PQ over the cable box. After reading this forum I think I have my doubts.

So anyway, thanks to you guys, I will stick with Comcast a little longer and I now have some time to do more research and won't be kicking myself on Feb 1.

Good deal. I really like the 942 unit and imagine the 622 builds on that. I have 2 Directv HD Tivo's too. They are a bit different but all in all, I will be fully converting to Dish when the 622 arrives at my house. There is nothing keeping me with Directv anymore.

Glad to hear you found out before being stuck. This is the best site around hands down.

UBlink said:
Right now I'm on Comcast and not 100% happy with the HD PQ. I can access local broadcast HD 3 ways - OTA, STB, and internal digital cable tuner. TNT I get either from the STB or digital tuner.

If you have the Comcast HD PQ that the vast majority of subs do, don't jump to E* for PQ. There's many other reasons to kick cable to the curb, but if the primary driver is HD PQ, you might want to wait and see how all this shakes out.

I agree with ublink on this this is a great site for information boy I wish I had found it before I sold my 721 for a 921. Then I would have Known about all it's problems. Now I guess I'll sit here til April and lease the new hd pvr when the new promotion starts. Thanks again every one a satellite guys for the great service you provide.

Hey guys, first time poster here.

I'm in a similar situation. I have an appointment to get dish network installed and I'm interested in HD. The only difference is that I'm having the work done with as part of a project and cannot wait until more information is released on the 622.

If I needed to get a subscription started in the next couple weeks what would be the best route? Should I get the 924 now and be happy with it, or should i get a basic SD and wait for the 622. And, (I know this is unknown subject) if I wen with the SD unit, would I be eligible for a upgrade to the 622?

Hope this isn't a thread jack, but the OP didn't really have a question :wave

mlrtime3 said:
Hey guys, first time poster here.

I'm in a similar situation. I have an appointment to get dish network installed and I'm interested in HD. The only difference is that I'm having the work done with as part of a project and cannot wait until more information is released on the 622.

If I needed to get a subscription started in the next couple weeks what would be the best route? Should I get the 924 now and be happy with it, or should i get a basic SD and wait for the 622. And, (I know this is unknown subject) if I wen with the SD unit, would I be eligible for a upgrade to the 622?

Hope this isn't a thread jack, but the OP didn't really have a question :wave

Do you HAVE to have an HD PVR right now? If not, just score an 811 temporarily (Dish will give that one to you as part of the set-up) and then get the 622 when it releases.

I don't HAVE to have a HDDVR now, but I want to put myself in the best scenario for an upgrade later. Would the 811 be that choice? At that time would I be in the pool of regular subscribers wanting the same thing?

Thanks for the help, this is quite confusing.

mlrtime3 said:
I don't HAVE to have a HDDVR now, but I want to put myself in the best scenario for an upgrade later. Would the 811 be that choice? At that time would I be in the pool of regular subscribers wanting the same thing?
Thanks for the help, this is quite confusing.
There are MPEG-4 receivers available now. Don't accept an 811, you'll probably be out $50. Hold out for either the Vip211/411 or the Vip622 DVR. And make sure you get the Dish 1000.

So if I'm scheduled for a install next week I should demand/request only mpeg4 hardware and D1000?

I don't mind waiting for the hardware to arrive, I just DONT want to purchase/lease a piece of equipment twice in a two month period.

edited...

Last edited:
mlrtime3 said:
So if I'm scheduled for a install next week I should demand/request only mpeg4 hardware and D1000?
I don't mind waiting for the hardware to arrive, I just want to purchase/lease a piece of equipment twice in a two month period.
Yes, assuming that you want HD, and you live somewhere other than New England or Florida. If you're not in the Dish 1000 footprint, you'll need two dishes for HD.

UBlink said:
This is post number one, but as the title says, thanks a lot. I was supposed to have my new sat system installed yesterday, but fortunately I discovered this site on Monday. My home theater installer was ready to set me up with a 942 system and I would have been SOL. Fortunately I called him and said, hey, what about this new 622 box. Couple of hours later he says we'll cancel the 924 and wait for a 622 on order.
Right now I'm on Comcast and not 100% happy with the HD PQ. I can access local broadcast HD 3 ways - OTA, STB, and internal digital cable tuner. TNT I get either from the STB or digital tuner. So far I can't perceive a significant difference on HD content from any of the sources on my 40" Samsung LCD. After reading here, I figure the problem is the quality of the signal from the broadcaster - for example, TNT is all over the map from excellent to borderline ugly. If it was in the cable box, I'd see a difference with the direct digital cable. The installer was telling me E* (I'm just learning the acronyms and code words so if I screw something up forgive me) had far superior PQ over the cable box. After reading this forum I think I have my doubts.

So anyway, thanks to you guys, I will stick with Comcast a little longer and I now have some time to do more research and won't be kicking myself on Feb 1.

WELCOME to satelliteguys :) Glad We can be some assistance :)

mdonnelly said:
Yes, assuming that you want HD, and you live somewhere other than New England or Florida. If you're not in the Dish 1000 footprint, you'll need two dishes for HD.

I'm in NYC... How does that affect my plans?

mlrtime3 said:
I'm in NYC... How does that affect my plans?

It means that you will have to get two satellite dishes (one pointing at 110 and 119 (called a Dish 500) and one pointing at 61.5 since we can't see 129). They provide these as part of the installation process

I live in Boston, so I have the same issue.

Harmeister said:
It means that you will have to get two satellite dishes (one pointing at 110 and 119 (called a Dish 500) and one pointing at 61.5 since we can't see 129). They provide these as part of the installation process

I live in Boston, so I have the same issue.

So if I get a D500 (110+119) and a single dish at 61.5 would this give me access to all SD + Local + HD (MPEG2 + MPEG4) and Internationals?

I don't really mind the number of dishes installed, I just want to make sure I'm wired for everything once.

Thanks for all the help! :confused:

mlrtime3 said:
So if I get a D500 (110+119) and a single dish at 61.5 would this give me access to all SD + Local + HD (MPEG2 + MPEG4) and Internationals?
I don't really mind the number of dishes installed, I just want to make sure I'm wired for everything once.
For NYC, yes 110/119 and 61.5 will get you all the national SD and HD. Internationals are a different story. Some are on 105 and 121. Check http://ekb.dbstalk.com/dishlist.htm for the ones that you're interested in.

mlrtime3 said:

For Internationals and HD you need a SuperDish (110, 119, 121), 61.5 Dish, DP44+ switch.

Pils said:
Glad to hear you found out before being stuck. This is the best site around hands down.
This site is awesome ! As a former Voomer, by reading all your posts in March and April, you all made the transition to E* painless for me. Got an 811 lease month to month with no contract and am ready to change to mpeg4 as soon as my locals become available in HDlite. In the meantime, your advice helped me get the best partial OTA reception for terrain obstructions in my area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)