Thanks to the Dish Network Uplink Center

I have been able to talk and email these guys about my local hd problems. These guys have really been great to me and made sure the problems were fixed. They see that I am from Alabama from my location on my post and are probably saying " yea, we know who this @ucker is. LOL

...The true heart of the uplink is getting the channels ready. Lots of wiring, routing, processing etc to make it all happen.

You might want to say that again next February when people are complaining about the rates going up...Gotta pay for all that stuff somehow

Very cool that they passed around the uplink report. As a few mumbled under the breath....damn people tracking our changes ;) just kidding!

Well, that's probably why they use "TMP" when testing HD channels...they know we're watching. Back in the day, we had to futz around with our Dishplayers to see those hidden tables. :D

I remember those days. Remember 8765309 was for more then calling Jenny :)

I am now at Coors field with claude from dishstore. We are sitting 10 rows behind home plate. The Rockies are winning 7 to zip.

Hey Scott, have you heard them mention how many dishes they have at that facility? Just an approximate number? Excellent pics. Thanks very much.

I am now at Coors field with claude from dishstore. We are sitting 10 rows behind home plate. The Rockies are winning 7 to zip.

I remember those days, heck still have a DishPlayer somewhere....

That's amazing!! (the Rockies winning) ;)

Enjoy the ballgame guys!

Glad that you have a chance to take in some of Colorado's sights and sounds - Dish headquarters in englewood is where I was born & raised! Now I'm on the West Slope side of Colorado growing peaches & peonies. Palisade peaches - best in the world IMHO

Scott sez:

That's 150,000 miles give or take a few hundred. I don't believe the claim.
I am not sure, but take a look at this very small portion of the wiring at the uplink.

Man I would hate to try finding a bad cable in the bunch here. :)

Attachments

• wires.jpg
    wires.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 468
I think you're off by a bit...but no one ever said the cables had to circle the Earth at the equator ;)

I'm not off by that much.

1 mile == 5280 feet. 10 x 500 ft box of cable == 5000 ft. 10.5 is a better approximation, but it's the scale of the number that we are interested in.

Circumference of the Earth is literally just under 25,000 miles either around the poles or around the equator. The earth is slightly oblate, so it's a hundred or 200 miles difference between the two. For easy math I used 25,000 miles.

6 x 25,000 miles (per trip around) is 150,000 miles.

10 boxes per mile is 1.5 million boxes.

This is about the scale of the number, not an exact count on boxes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts