Thanks to the new HD, ESPN-HD has more compression now

Always check at least two different programs.

Especially with sports... when watching my local team, the picture quality is vastly different depending on which city they are visiting...

Ehren,
You might want to try changing the receiver to 720p out. Most 32" LCD's are only 720p. If you have it set to 1080i, the receiver is up rezzing ESPN to 1080i then your tv is bringing it back down to 720p. ESPN broadcasts at 720p.

The problem is that ESPN hd telecasts are NOT created equal. Look to ESPN for the root of the problem.

I would say its impossible that the new HD is the cause for ESPN's PQ last night since ESPN HD comes off the 110 satellite and the new HD channels come off 61.5 or 129 respectively. :)

ESPN'S HD quality is never consistant, it all depends on what HD trucks and equipment is out there. Some times what hapens is they send out a truck that is only equipped for 1080i for ESPN to air progrmaming from that source they must down convert it to 720p and there is some loss in PQ there due to the conversion.

I would say its impossible that the new HD is the cause for ESPN's PQ last night since ESPN HD comes off the 110 satellite and the new HD channels come off 61.5 or 129 respectively. :)

ESPN'S HD quality is never consistant, it all depends on what HD trucks and equipment is out there. Some times what hapens is they send out a truck that is only equipped for 1080i for ESPN to air progrmaming from that source they must down convert it to 720p and there is some loss in PQ there due to the conversion.

I'll second this statement. And actually the HD on 110 is some of the highest bit rate HD on Dish right now. For instance on the transponder (TP 7)where ESPN-HD is, there is really only 4 MPEG4HD streams pulling any meaningful bandwidth. This also holds true on the HD on TP 13.

Reference TheList link in my signature to see what is each transponder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)