Thanks VIASAT

animalhouse

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Morgan County, West Virginia
OK... this might be a bit unusual because you normally see installers getting flamed. However, I must praise the installers that came to my house this past Friday to correct an issue I had with signal strength on my 61.5 sat.

In the face of the the approaching tropical storm Ernesto, these guys went up on my roof and re-aligned, not only this dish, but my 110/119 dish. Thus, giving me signal strengths from at least 90 to over 100. Considering that the signal strengths previous to this were in the low 60's to just over 80 before. This issue arose because of a hail storm we had a couple of month's ago.

Ernesto turned out to be a bust in my area, but these guys went over and beyond anything I expected! Thank-you! :hatsoff:

o comeon... we like the flames ;) compliments dont get us riled up

seriously, glad you had a good experience, my question is... why wasnt it fixed a few months ago when the problems started

birddoggy said:
seriously, glad you had a good experience, my question is... why wasnt it fixed a few months ago when the problems started

Because, historically, my signal on the 61.5 bird has been low. It only came to a head a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that a few (not all) of my HD channels were black.

Coincidentally, I STILL have one channel that is intermittent. All others are fine. What could cause that? :confused:

go to that particular channel, then go into the signal strength screen. Whatever transponder that the signal strength screen is on is the one that that particular channel is on.... see what kind of signal strength you are getting. some transponders come in stronger then others

birddoggy said:
go to that particular channel, then go into the signal strength screen. Whatever transponder that the signal strength screen is on is the one that that particular channel is on.... see what kind of signal strength you are getting. some transponders come in stronger then others

Yeah...That's what I thought. But the tech said it wasn't necessarily the case. However, with that being said, I'm still having trouble with just that one HD channel (WTTG - Fox 5 Washington, DC). So yesterday, I did exacxtly what you said. The signal strength was about 90 (61.5 TP5).

So what gives? All other channels are good. It's got to be something local with the station, not Dish. :confused:

animalhouse said:
Yeah...That's what I thought. But the tech said it wasn't necessarily the case. However, with that being said, I'm still having trouble with just that one HD channel (WTTG - Fox 5 Washington, DC). So yesterday, I did exacxtly what you said. The signal strength was about 90 (61.5 TP5).

So what gives? All other channels are good. It's got to be something local with the station, not Dish. :confused:
It's the channel (WTTG-DT). They are currently upgrading their Tower/DTV antenna and experiencing a lot of downtime. Here is what I posted at AVS Forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=517400 (check out the last few pages of this thread)

[PIE]Regarding My Fox and My20, here is my take on the issue:

1. WTTG-DT (aka My Fox), while broadcasting a robust 1000Kw signal, has not always been reliable for those of us living on the fringe due to their lower antenna height (lower than WUSA-DT, WJLA-DT, and WRC-DT) and the fact their DTV antenna is side-mounted. My my case (I'm down in Spotsy) their antenna is on the opposite side of the tower, and I often have problems in the fall/winter months.

2. Until recently WDCA-DT (aka My20) has been at very low power...few outside the immediate area could receive a signal. They are now operating at full power, but have yet to move to their new DTV antenna, which will be much higher.

3. Both Fox5 and My20 were scheduled to be at full power on their new DTV antenna in HD by 9/4/06: Fox5 would be raising their antenna height on the tower, and My20 would be sharing space on the tower...if not the same physical antenna. As reported, this work was pushed back do to weather/safety concerns, but should be completed by this weekend.

4. These upgrades should give both Fox5 and UPN20 the best DTV signals in DC. As you'll also recall, Fox5 recently rebuilt their news studio and should begin broadcasting New5 in HD sometime this fall. Along with the launch of My Fox/My20, I get the feeling they will deliver a quality production.

5. Have there been some problems with the multiple upgrades? Sure! But given the fact these guys are transforming their entire operation, I'm willing to cut them a little slack. [/PIE]

I suspect they both will diplex on the same antenna.
Too bad they can't also move channel 50 over to the Bethesda area. Everyone else is at/near Bethesda. 50 is towards Annapolis.

animalhouse said:
OK... this might be a bit unusual because you normally see installers getting flamed. However, I must praise the installers that came to my house this past Friday to correct an issue I had with signal strength on my 61.5 sat.

In the face of the the approaching tropical storm Ernesto, these guys went up on my roof and re-aligned, not only this dish, but my 110/119 dish. Thus, giving me signal strengths from at least 90 to over 100. Considering that the signal strengths previous to this were in the low 60's to just over 80 before. This issue arose because of a hail storm we had a couple of month's ago.

Ernesto turned out to be a bust in my area, but these guys went over and beyond anything I expected! Thank-you! :hatsoff:
Good to read a compliment about us techs..Most times it's bitch bitch bitch...Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)