That $5 Phone Line Fee...

mwm42

Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Hello. I come to you with a question. I've been searching through the posts here, and similar questions were asked several times, but I'm still not sure if I understand correctly. Okay, here goes:

We have a phone line connected to our receivers, but are annoyed at all the phone cables running through the house...When we first got DISH (just a few months ago, so I know very little about it), and got the "connect a phone line or be charged $5" message, we called DISH to find out what that was about. At that time, they said something about being able to connect wirelessly as well as through a phone line. Well, I have a wireless router now, and I was wondering if the receivers could connect through that.

Please help a newb out, here.

I've got HD DVR 722, and it has an ethernet port on the back, which can be used instead of the phoneline. Then I got a pair of these guys to extend my network to my entertainment center.

Powerline Ethernet Adapters

Since I have a PS3, Rokku Soundbridge and 722, it made sense for me to setup this way. I'm not familiar with how to setup the 722 wirelessly, though.

Hello. I come to you with a question. I've been searching through the posts here, and similar questions were asked several times, but I'm still not sure if I understand correctly. Okay, here goes:

We have a phone line connected to our receivers, but are annoyed at all the phone cables running through the house...When we first got DISH (just a few months ago, so I know very little about it), and got the "connect a phone line or be charged $5" message, we called DISH to find out what that was about. At that time, they said something about being able to connect wirelessly as well as through a phone line. Well, I have a wireless router now, and I was wondering if the receivers could connect through that.

What receivers do you have??? The 622 and 722 can connect through the Ethernet Port. The 625 can not use the Ethernet to "Phone Home"

More Information is needed,
Geoff

It sounds like the "wireless" that they referred to, may have been the device that you can plug into an electrical outlet to extend a standard telephone line. They sell them at Walmart for about $70.

Humm. I have a receiver I've never had hooked to a phone line at all times. If I rent a PPV on it I run a long phone line to it. And I leave it plugged up over night so it can report my purchase other than that its never connected. :confused: they do charge me a $5 extra receiver fee on it but is that something different than the not connected to a phone line fee?

Humm. I have a receiver I've never had hooked to a phone line at all times. If I rent a PPV on it I run a long phone line to it. And I leave it plugged up over night so it can report my purchase other than that its never connected. :confused: they do charge me a $5 extra receiver fee on it but is that something different than the not connected to a phone line fee?

Additional Tuner Fee is what Dish calls it, but they only charge it on dual tuner receivers. The Additional receiver fee is charged when you have two receiver active on your accout. If you leave the phone line connected the additional tuner fee will disappear.

I've got HD DVR 722, and it has an ethernet port on the back, which can be used instead of the phoneline. Then I got a pair of these guys to extend my network to my entertainment center.

Powerline Ethernet Adapters

Since I have a PS3, Rokku Soundbridge and 722, it made sense for me to setup this way. I'm not familiar with how to setup the 722 wirelessly, though.

Actually, I used two Airport Express units to accomplish the same and to set up the wi-fi throughout my home.

:welcome to Satelliteguys
Yes you can use wireless adpators connected to the ethernet port instead of the phone line.
As mentioned above Airport express is one type, i use a wireless games adaptor from dlink Wireless Gaming Adapter - DWL-G820 Wireless Gaming Adapter by D-Link. Others have used routers cascaded.

IMHO the easiest is to get a games adaptor from the same vendor as your router, but doesnt have to be the same vendor it just makes all the setup easier.

If you let us know what wireless router you have maybe we can give a little more specific help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)