The $200 rebate is not for leased 942?

Damn I wish I had not erased that Charlie chat because I remember that the rebate applied to anyone with a 921 or 942, owned or leased. Anything else doen't make sense. I am thinking of the poor guy who leased a 942 in December paid $250 and now is hoping to upgrade for $99 come April 1st.

gutter said:
I am thinking of the poor guy who leased a 942 in December paid $250 and now is hoping to upgrade for $99 come April 1st.
That guy is still doing better than the person that bought a 942 in December, paid $700 (or whatever the market price was at the time) and now has to shell out another $99 for a leased 622. When all is said and done, they both end up with a leased 622 and neither gets to auction their old equipment on eBay. The difference is that one who leased paid a total of about $559 ($250 + $299 + plus a couple of lease payments) while the one that bought paid $799 ($700 + $99).

In a sense, all 942 owners are losers, because that receiver hasn't been out long enough for people to recover their investment. All 921 owners are losers too, because that receiver still doesn't work properly. I've owned both, so that probably makes me a bigger loser than the rest of you guys!

Last edited:
*IF TRUE* This is a kick in the teeth to existing 942 owners and leasors.

I find it hard to believe that Dish is treating their HD customers this way.

In any case, purchasers of the 942 are getting the royal shaft by Dish. They end up paying $800 to lease a 622 after only a few months use of the 942.

But if this is true, then Dish is going to shaft leasors of the 942 also. $550 for a leased 622.

Sounds like all of us are going to have to write off and absorb all costs for the 942.

As much as I would like to get the new channels, if I have to pay $299 (and $5 more a month to sub to the new HD pack) in order to receive ESPN2, Universal HD, and 5 more VOOM channels, I will probably pass for a while.

Oh, and there is also the 18 month commitment.

Last edited:
shanewalker said:
I'm sorry but this goes absolutely contrary to all previous communications on the rebate for existing HD customers w/ 942s...I really have trouble believing it, the statements during all previous chats said lease customers were as front-and-center in the upgrade path as those w/ purchased recievers.

We ARE talking about the instant $200 rebate available April 1, right--the one discussed at length that reduces a 622 upgrade for existing 942/HD customers from $299 to $99? Or are we talking cross-purposes about some other deal, and thus the confusion I sense here.

The only thing that makes sense here is that E* is trying to muddy the waters in order to dissuade as many people as possible from upgrading right off due to all the 622 probs/limited quantities.

yes we are talking the 622 200 rebate, see http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=55848. I spoke with jed at the exec office, they called me this afternoon. In fact they called me twice to confirm the information about the hd enabling fee.

However after re-reading my notes, i can NOT confirm this wont be available for leases as i didnt ask that question. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
I'm under the impression that it will also be offered to those leasing 942s.

And if the 942 owners are not required to trade them in, which I don't think they will be, then the upgrades are better deals.

If this scenario is true, then someone leasing a 942 will get a 622 and D1000 upgrade (if needed) for $350 total.

And if the owner of a 942 can sell it for $350, then that person ends up paying $450 for a leased 622. Of course, the 942 would have been worth more had Dish continued to allow it to be activated for HD.

So it's leased $350 vs $550
Purchased $450 vs $800

Let's hope this is just one more round of CSR misinformation.

When I heard about the 622 being available I sent an e-mail through the comment area on their website asking what they were going to do for those of us who had leased a 942 for less than a year. I received an e-mail back from their eCare department saying that if I wait until April, a $200 rebate would be available. In my email I had mentioned that I was leasing so I would assume that this $200 rebate will apply to leases as well.

sonnyboy11 said:
Lots of confusion (not to mention multiple threads) about this and, at this point, there is no 'official' word about who and what will qualify for the $200 rebate.
I think Marc Lumpkin qualifies as slightly higher than the average csr (Interim Director of Corporate CommunicationsEchoStar's DISH Network ), so maybe the post below by MacKenzieIII is "semi-offical":

http://www.satelliteguys.us/member.php?u=1283 :

Well I am not Scott, nor do I have his contacts. But I emailed Marc Lumpkin at Echostar.

Below is my email and his answer:

Marc,
In the past you have been good enough to help me under stand some of DISH's offers. I currently own a 811 and 311 receiver and with your mpeg4 receivers and HD local channels I called to order the new Vip622 so that I could not only get the new channels but finally get myself a DVR. But after talking to the tech support department he suggest that if I wanted the Vip622 I should wait until April 1st when there would be $200 rebate. I would really like to believe what he was telling me but everything I read online makes me think he might be mistaken. Is there any way you could help me figure out the truth?

Thanks for the help,
-MacKenzie Patterson

Marc's answer

this is true. reason is we already have the 622 on back order due to demand. So if you wait, you'll get the rebate. No rebate offered until then. but some early adopters can't wait so they'll pay the $299 upgrade. So after April 1, you pay $299 then get $200 rebate. That's a good deal for a nearly $800 set top box.

sonnyboy11 said:
The Charlie Chat specifically only mentioned that the 921s and the 942s will qualify for the rebate.
That chat along with the tech chat prior to it both said things that arn't true.

sonnyboy11 said:
To me it's only logical that Dish would not give away $200 for no reason to leasing customers, but this is Dish we are talking about, so who knows? Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Their reasoning is as Marc states, they knew from day one that they would not have enough 622s to meet demand, so the April 1st rebate was intended to relieve some of the pressure.

sonnyboy11 said:
BTW, I am also a "Dish Apologist" according to a few board "experts" so my opinion is clearly slanted in favor of Dish no matter what happens. :rolleyes:

Now, now sonny, that doesn't make you a bad person - we still luv ya:D
Seriously though, I think you're trying to call them as you see them and that's all any of us can do.

waltinvt said:
Now, now sonny, that doesn't make you a bad person - we still luv ya:D Seriously though, I think you're trying to call them as you see them and that's all any of us can do.

I try to. I think the main thrust of the problem I am having with the info being thrown about is that 811 leasers are under the impression they will qualify for a rebate. I do not think that is going to happen, and Marc Lumpkin's email does not say that it will. I don't think it even implies it. Although I think it's great if at least 811 owners qualify (and fair).

And btw I am proud to be a Dish Apologist! I still am not quite sure what it means, but I am going with it, man! :D

sonnyboy11 said:
I try to. I think the main thrust of the problem I am having with the info being thrown about is that 811 leasers are under the impression they will qualify for a rebate. I do not think that is going to happen, and Marc Lumpkin's email does not say that it will. I don't think it even implies it. Although I think it's great if at least 811 owners qualify (and fair).

And btw I am proud to be a Dish Apologist! I still am not quite sure what it means, but I am going with it, man! :D

Well as the one who sent the email to Marc and got the response I think it was reasonably clear. Of course will all the conflicting info I have sent a 2nd email asking for clarification. Mostly I just want to understand what the real deal is going to be so I can make a somewhat intelligent decision.

MacKenzieIII said:
Well as the one who sent the email to Marc and got the response I think it was reasonably clear. Of course will all the conflicting info I have sent a 2nd email asking for clarification. Mostly I just want to understand what the real deal is going to be so I can make a somewhat intelligent decision.

Yea they sure are not making it easy on us. You may have stated this elsewhere, but do you lease or own your 811? I can't remember off-hand.

sonnyboy11 said:

An apologist is someone who believes in something and defends it verbally against those who would try to discredit it. Sort of like crusades on it's behalf. Now remember, I never specifically said you were one:D

sonnyboy11 said:
Yea they sure are not making it easy on us. You may have stated this elsewhere, but do you lease or own your 811? I can't remember off-hand.

I own my stuff and and I did tell Marc that, but who knows how much he read and how much he just answered quickly with the default answer. Who knows I don't see an answer yet from Marc, maybe we will get info on the Tech chat. Or maybe with all my posting my email conversation I might never get an email back. Ahh well.

MacKenzieIII said:
I own my stuff and and I did tell Marc that, but who knows how much he read and how much he just answered quickly with the default answer. Who knows I don't see an answer yet from Marc, maybe we will get info on the Tech chat. Or maybe with all my posting my email conversation I might never get an email back. Ahh well.

Cool, well like I have been saying, let's see what happens. I am rooting for you guys. I figure, since I lease, if a rebate really did happen for ALL HD customers, I could call and raise a little hell after the fact. In the meantime though, I am starting to get a little more optomistic about my 2/22 install date for my 622 actually happening given some of the posts that are going up today.

waltinvt said:
An apologist is someone who believes in something and defends it verbally against those who would try to discredit it. Sort of like crusades on it's behalf. Now remember, I never specifically said you were one:D

Well, you should ammend that, I think, to say "An apologist is someone who unwaveringly believes in something and defends it verbally against those who would try to discredit it, even when there is legitimate cause to do so", or something along those lines. It's a definition in progress. :up

Well, they just stated on the Chat that the 811 did not qualify for the $200 rebate, so it appears that Lumpkin had it wrong.

It is a "like for like" deal. Only 921s and 942s subs qualify for the rebate. I did not hear anything about whether they had to be owned, so the implication to me is that both leased and owned 9xx series receivers will qualify.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)