The 2005 Masters

hudson

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Does anyone know if the Masters will be shown in HD on Thursday and Friday. I read somewhere they would have it on Universal HD.

Found this article

Does this mean it's on CBS all four days in HD?? timjf, you won't believe the clarity of The Masters in HD. It's mindblowing!

2005 Masters To Be Largets HD Golf Production To Date
By Staff
Mar 11, 2005, 13:49

Email this article
Printer friendly page

For the third year, the standard analog and HDTV productions of the 2005 Masters Tournament will be unified and will provide 18-hole coverage in 1080i with 5.1 Channel Surround Sound.

In the largest HDTV golf production to date, CBS Sports will utilize 42 high definition cameras and 10 hand-held 16x9 standard definition cameras. The unified productions will be produced in HDTV's highest definition format, 1080i, and downconverted for the CBS Television Network's analog broadcast. This production technique also produces a better quality analog picture. Whether watching in widescreen HD or traditional 4x3 analog, viewers will hear the same golf announcers and see the same camera angles, replays and graphics.

The 2000 Masters was the first golf tournament ever presented live in HDTV on network television. The 2003 Masters marked the first time that the standard and HDTV productions of the Tournament were unified.

CBS Sports will broadcast the 2005 Masters on the CBS Television HD Network on Thursday, April 7 and Friday, April 8 (4:00-7:00 PM, ET, each day) and Saturday, April 9 (3:30-7:00 PM, ET) and Sunday, April 10 (2:30-7:00 PM, ET) live from Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Ga. The third and final rounds of the Masters will be broadcast simultaneously in standard definition by CBS Sports on the analog CBS Television Network.

Beginning in 1993 the Masters experimented with HDTV on a limited basis to discover how the new system could improve the presentation of the tournament to the television audience. The 2005 Masters broadcast will be presented in the highest form of HDTV with 1080 lines of resolution and over two million picture elements which makes it six times sharper than standard definition television.

One hundred and eighty-one of CBS's owned and affiliated stations are currently broadcasting in digital, covering approximately 97 percent of the nation.

Nice post, hudson!

We're not golf fans but will be watching some of the Masters just to see it in HD.

Still enjoying HDTV under rainless Seattle skies, Gill

Yeah, The Masters will be shown on CBS-HD signals on Thursday & Friday while the the CBS non-HD stations carry regular programming. USA will have Thursday & Friday coverage in SD.

Masters

SeattleVoomer1,

Even if you're not a golf fan, you will be after you see The Masters in hd. It is the most beautiful place in the world to watch a golf tourney.

Ota

Does this mean I can get the HD on Thursday and Friday via my OTA antenna? :yes :yes :yes

If your local CBS station carries the HD feed from Agusta rather than normal programming, yes. I've seen it go both ways over the years. Send a note to your local CBS affiliate and remind them so they don't forget.

TPC 17th on ESPNC

It confused me at first - but ESPN is doing the normal coverage, and ESPNC is covering just hole 17 live. Both SD of course. I don't remember this being done before.

The Masters on Universal HD

The Masters will be on Universal HD Thursday and Friday, April 7th and 8th from 4-7 and replay from 8-11. This is in addition to the cbs hd feed on Thursday - Sunday. :yes :yes :yes :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yes the masters is great in HD i wish they would do away with the sd hand helds it takes away from the beauty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)